M9 full specs and pictures are out. Let's discuss.

nugat

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so it was out for a second, and I managed to save it. It seems to be a straight FF version of the M8, only major change is FF with 18,5 Mpix, and ISO 80 (and 1/3 increments), ISO on button instead of Protect - even physical dimensions are identical. No UV/IR necessary.

No information so far on processor (Maestro?), or bit depth, as far as I have seen. Essentially what was predicted, very exciting!

Edited by erlingmm

It certainly looks like a full frame M8.3.

Yet the brochures mention nothing about the IR contamination problem. Will it still need UV/IR filters or not?

EDIT: Sorry, the brochure states clearly that the IR problem has been solved by the redesigning of the IR filter at the sensor level.

Thank god the choice this time was again to not include an AA filter

Edited by fuchs

Good :

- ISO80 which lessens the need of 1/8000. Great for wide-open shooters like me.

- clean files up to 2500.

- soft release shutter option

- the two points above mean that you can probably gain up to 3 stops vs the M8 in low light. This is to me the biggest difference and main justification to upgrade from a M8 (if I do so).

- ability to select lens manually, coding will not be necessary though still useful for added quickness.

- I like how framelines are paired (28-90, 35-135, 50-75)

- the body is basically the same as M8, this is a great news, don't have to get used to a new handling.

Not so good:

- not weather sealed

- no mention of sensor cleaning

I don't care :

- no UV/IR needed

- 18mp

Edited by yanidel

Since there is a choice of DNG 18 MB compressed (non-linear reduction of colour depth) or uncompressed 36 MB (i.e. 18 Mpix @ 16 bits per pix) this suggests new faster processor, in other words Maestro.

By the way, same spec battery as M8.

Regards

Per

Anyone knows what this 'auto ISO shift function', which apparently increases the sensitivity when the shutter speed falls below hand-holdable levels, is about?

I had the same question but I tend to think that it is their way to describe the current Auto-ISO of the latest firmware

I had the same question but I tend to think that it is their way to describe the current Auto-ISO of the latest firmware

Could it be some user pre-set shutter speed, below which the camera - if on auto ISO - would automatically adjusts itself to a higher value to compensate for the slow speed?