M9 full specs and pictures are out. Let's discuss.

nugat

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ljclark, thats a good point, Leica have resisted the urge to add useless additional features and must have more modern electronics, efficiency should be improved. The way I see it, no need for more batteries, if a pocket full made it through the day with the 8 surely they will power the 8 and a 9 the same, don't image I will take more pictures.

THOUGH.... 18 meg is more than 10 meg, so storage, and possible the power saving these files might foil the math here.?

Leica have provides the f.stop for each sample image, I wonder if they carefully recorded those for each shot, used the G.stop or have chosen to record f.stops this time around.

Oh and no M8 in the M line up any more....but the M7 and MP continue I'm glad to see.

But there will be the APS-C fixed lens 'compact' that was leaked last week - the Leica X-1. True to their word, it's not a micro four-thirds Panaleica. The new compact was listed in the brochure, even if the M8/M8.2 was dropped from the line-up. The hazy product photo looked a bit, er, 'conceptual', though, so maybe the X-1 won't literally be available in the shops on Wednesday...presumably not until they've actually made a few real ones. I know we're M-orientated here, but such a compact would be revolutionary in the current state of the market - it's an extraordinary development.

Edited by Steve Pope

Oh and no M8 in the M line up any more. I wondered if they would rework the M8 and continue it as a less expensive option, or maybe they will launch such a product at a later stage.... but the M7 and MP continue I'm glad to see.

I would guess a lower priced M8.3 that does not need UV/IR filters

Oh and no M8 in the M line up any more. I wondered if they would rework the M8 and continue it as a less expensive option, or maybe they will launch such a product at a later stage.... but the M7 and MP continue I'm glad to see.

Good news is that no M8/M8.2 should mean that the used price stays up a bit better. Otherwise they would have had to put some air between the M9 price and the M8.2, which surely would have murdered the second hand value of the crop sensor cameras.

But there will be the APS-C fixed lens 'compact' that was leaked last week - the Leica X-1. True to their word, it's not a micro four-thirds Panaleica. The new compact was listed in the brochure, even if the M8/M8.2 was dropped from the line-up. The hazy product photo looked a bit, er, 'conceptual', though, so maybe the X-1 won't literally be available in the shops on Wednesday...presumably not until they've actually made a few real ones. I know we're M-orientated here, but such a compact would be revolutionary in the current state of the market - it's an extraordinary development.

I got the impression that dealers were not expecting a second camera to be available for a couple of months, nothing definite though.

Yes, with the honourable exception of Sigma, Leica will be leading the others in taking the compact/large sensor hybrid fight to micro 4/rds. Big news actually, but little information in the brochure so far and no mention yet of an accessory viewfinder, either optical or EVF.

No mentioning of a new 35 mm Summilux and special restrictions when using 135 mm APO-Telyt (stop down at least two stops).

Regards

Per

Two different statements:

About the microlens technology they say, that all existing M lensens maintain their full performance. On the other hand the note about the 135mm Apo-Telyt calls for "certain criteria" i.e. to stop it down considerably.

I hope those "criteria" are no results of sensor technology, but "only" due to the fact, that the rangefinder field of view for 135mm is going to be small. On such a small field you cannot expect the necessary precision for exact focussing, if you use the lens wide opended.

(Hope jaapv will prove that i am again wrong with this assumption...).

I got the impression that dealers were not expecting a second camera to be available for a couple of months, nothing definite though.

Yes, with the honourable exception of Sigma, Leica will be leading the others in taking the compact/large sensor hybrid fight to micro 4/rds. Big news actually, but little information in the brochure so far and no mention yet of an accessory viewfinder, either optical or EVF.

I can't tell for sure - but that X1 pic looks like it might be a 24 2.8 asph fixed lens... if that is the same lens design as the M 28 2.8 asph - then the X1 is going to be a cracker of a camera :)

I do hope the M8.2 continues to be made and plays the 'little brother' to the M9 but I can also see the X1 filling those shoes quite nicely. In fact, the X1 has been slowly growing on me. I've always lusted after the DP1/2 and now it would seem the X1, if it makes up for all the DP1/2 faults, would be the perfect carry-everywhere-shoot-everything camera! If the price is not prohibitive, it might just do better than most people expect. ;)