M9 full specs and pictures are out. Let's discuss.

nugat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not being grumpy here, but…

One problem I have with a future purchase is the following :

adjusting all my M lenses to my M8 body for front- or backfocusing

has been pretty difficult and costly (my 75 being even not quite satisfatorily

adjusted until now).

In fact, the only lenses which did not need any adjustment were

my 50 Lux and my 28 Elmarit bought new last january and my 50 Summicron.

Otherwise, Noctilux, 75, 21, 35 Lux, 50 pre-ASPH and 90 Elmarit needed adjustment.

I fear the same problems with the M9 : re-adjust everything to that

second body specifically, meaning I could not keep the M8 a a backup.

According to DAG.

I'm curious, just how 'bad' is it without having the lenses 'coupled' to the body? I've not owned a lens, well, other than a 90 Cron that I sold because I thought I just couldn't focus properly with at that focal length, that didn't perform according to expectations - is it dumb luck or dumb me? :confused:

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Difficult lenses should be easier to focus on the new body.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1021749-post1.html

Not being grumpy here, but…

One problem I have with a future purchase is the following :

adjusting all my M lenses to my M8 body for front- or backfocusing

has been pretty difficult and costly (my 75 being even not quite satisfatorily

adjusted until now).

In fact, the only lenses which did not need any adjustment were

my 50 Lux and my 28 Elmarit bought new last january and my 50 Summicron.

Otherwise, Noctilux, 75, 21, 35 Lux, 50 pre-ASPH and 90 Elmarit needed adjustment.

I fear the same problems with the M9 : re-adjust everything to that

second body specifically, meaning I could not keep the M8 a a backup.

According to DAG.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It doesn't say anywhere that its 16-bit. 16-bit is an assumption (probably a wrong assumption) based on the data size.

Sandy

From Brochure (under Lightroom):

At the same time, the 16-bit per channel color information captured by the image sensor is

maintained throughout the processing workflow from image import to image export, ensuring

that the most delicate tonal differentiations are preserved in maximum quality after completion of the post-processing sequence.

I'm curious, just how 'bad' is it without having the lenses 'coupled' to the body? I've not owned a lens, well, other than a 90 Cron that I sold because I thought I just couldn't focus properly with at that focal length, that didn't perform according to expectations - is it dumb luck or dumb me? :confused:

I couldn't find a 50lux that would focus on my M8 body. Eventually I sent camera and lens in for service, now focuses fine - and so do most other 50lux I try. I think the problem was mostly in the cameras.

From Brochure (under Lightroom):

At the same time, the 16-bit per channel color information captured by the image sensor is

maintained throughout the processing workflow from image import to image export, ensuring

that the most delicate tonal differentiations are preserved in maximum quality after completion of the post-processing sequence.

Yes, but the problem is, previously "16-bit per channel color information" is a phrase that hasn't had any meaning. In fact, for some time, the M8 was described the same way. 16 A/D converter, that would be meaningful.

The good news is that clearly however you can select full width DNGs, not only 8-bit compressed

Sandy

I couldn't find a 50lux that would focus on my M8 body. Eventually I sent camera and lens in for service, now focuses fine - and so do most other 50lux I try. I think the problem was mostly in the cameras.

That would make sense. I have a 50 Lux and it focuses nicely. Hopefully this wouldn't be an issue with M9!

Battery is product nr. 14464 - so my pocket full of M8 batteries will work. good stuff.

Let's see...Being optimistic regarding improvements in the electronics -- shooting for the same kinds of files -- my first guess is 50% more shots per battery.

(I should start a pool.)

Blimey, a quick Google and there's the brochure.

First thoughts, how have they managed FF in the existing body, why not chrome (tho the grey looks nice), top plate is very bare tho, needs the traditional Leica script, and .... where's the flash pc socket!!!!

I agree about the bare top plate. The people who designed the M3 put the script there for more reasons than just to show the maker's name. And providing no way to use an auxiliary viewfinder with flash shows that Leica still don't care.