M9 full specs and pictures are out. Let's discuss.

nugat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nobody should cry or even think to complaint abour RF magnification at that price level IMHO. Leica have always offered 3 different RF magnifications with their film bodies since the M6 if memory serves. There is no reason why they refuse to do the same with the M9. Now i agree that Leica should confirm their intention as soon as possible on this point as people like me won't purchase anything as long as they don't know if and when they can get the proper magnification.

I don't think that the question of viewfinder magnification will ever be solved. Those who run now and only get the 0.68 version, will cry as you happen to announce. Those who will wait and get a version with a larger magnification will cry when they find out, that they have problems to use the frames for 35mm if they wear glasses. Those who opt for a wideangle version with lesser magnification will cry because they are very limited with telelenses...

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the M6 TTL yes, though not the M6 'classic'. There were some .85 M6s, but no .58 ones.

Yes the first 0.85x was the M6J in 1994 if i'm not wrong, reason why i bought it then but it was just a compromise allowing the use of both 35 and 50mm lenses contrary to the 0.91x M3 which needed goggles for 35mm lenses.

The only way to get a 1:1 VF with both (moderately) wide and standard framelines would be to get a bigger finder window a la Epson but Leica did not follow this example with the M9 for sake of compatibility with Visoflex and lenses with goggles presumably.

Hence the same dilemna as i had 15 years ago. Either buying a .85x M9, if any, but it won't allow for shooting both eyes open w/o a painful magnifier, or stick to my old R-D1s (was the M3 then) for some more time in the hope that Epson, Zeiss of whoever will make a bigger window than Leica. :rolleyes:

No one is having an idea about this topic, which I also consider very important ?

Thanks in advance.

EM

In regard to manually entering a lens specification-- probably this will work only for existing, coded lenses, but you could enter a lens which doesn't happen to be coded if you have an older Leica lens, or a lens by another manufacturer (shudder!) with similar characteristics -- we've been asking for this since about two days after the M8 announcement. It's not mentioned in the brochure, but one web page on the microsite from which the brochure was leaked did say that you could choose auto lens identification, using the coding, or manual specification of your lens! I'm sure there will be more on this subject at the press conference tomorrow.

scott

I'm sorry to see the LCD window go. I use that a lot on the M8 to check there's juice and card space, and it's switched on and ready to go.

Presumably, that info will come via the main screen. Be interesting to struggle with that for a while. :confused:

It's also going to be a much more significant issue with the M9 as it'll handle only 27 images per gig of card space on the highest resolution.

Edited by Rolo

Guest guy_mancuso

Hit a Nikon D300, D700 or D3 info button which brings up that data . Actually a very nice feature and working in low light a very welcome feature. Be nice if it could read the Aperture being used but doubt it very highly on the M9 since that data is not transferred anywhere. I really liked this feature when I was shooting Nikon and especially for events when your almost always in the dark you can see what is going on instantly. This actually maybe the best feature of the M9 as far as a working in use feature.

Guest guy_mancuso
I'm sorry to see the LCD window go. I use that a lot on the M8 to check there's juice and card space, and it's switched on and ready to go.

Presumably, that info will come via the main screen. Be interesting to struggle with that for a while. :confused:

It's also going to be a much more significant issue with the M9 as it'll handle only 27 images per gig of card space on the highest resolution.

After about a day of use you will most likely fall in love with it. You never have to look at the top deck now.

Guest guy_mancuso
Rolo: Pressing the "Info" button in shooting mode brings up battery remaining, shots remaining, camera settings on the LCD. Not a menu, just an instant info screen.

Andy hopefully it will also bring up shutter/ EV compensation and ISO . This is all important data that needs to be seen. If not Leica needs to add this in the firmware

Yes the first 0.85x was the M6J in 1994 if i'm not wrong, reason why i bought it then but it was just a compromise allowing the use of both 35 and 50mm lenses contrary to the 0.91x M3 which needed goggles for 35mm lenses.

The only way to get a 1:1 VF with both (moderately) wide and standard framelines would be to get a bigger finder window a la Epson but Leica did not follow this example with the M9 for sake of compatibility with Visoflex and lenses with goggles presumably.

Hence the same dilemna as i had 15 years ago. Either buying a .85x M9, if any, but it won't allow for shooting both eyes open w/o a painful magnifier, or stick to my old R-D1s (was the M3 then) for some more time in the hope that Epson, Zeiss of whoever will make a bigger window than Leica. :rolleyes:

I think leica doesnt want change circle of vf backside.. it would affect body top plate.. I think it is ok with 0,85x for M9 anyway. I really hope that Leica engineers are working with 0,85x or so now so later offer as a la carte option or service part. It would apply for another 0,5X. Im intended to believe that Leica understands that demand.

I see some are interested of 0,85x :) Nice.. myself I dont care about 35mm lines. I'd use 21/28mm external VF (I wear spectacles too). 600 euros new viewfinder sounds so expensive but it would be awesome to test. I cannot live with Vogitlander vf anymore.

/M3 user

i dont feel sorry.. it is next little step into more durability :D

Next step would be small oled screen with saphire glass (slim body aka M3).. no buttons, use touch technology, customized interface inside :eek:

Interesting twist that this threads taking. I think it fair to say that most of us are here because we happen to prefer Leica to other manufacturers, and many of us prefer rangefinders to SLRs - even if the results are indistinguishable from an SLR that doesn't mean that the _photographer_ doesn't have a preference. Personally I prefer rangefinders, others may feel differently, and they are entitled to their opinions, just don't try to tell me I should be using an SLR.

It could be that with RF one can simply tap into the type of shot they prefer more often, whereas they must try harder with an SLR albeit able to get the same shot- or vice versa. JL

After about a day of use you will most likely fall in love with it. You never have to look at the top deck now.

I'll have zero choice on it, but for me the top plate was the right place for that info. Immediate confirmation from a glance that the camera was live (as my switch often moves into the Off position and needs a trip to Solms to fix), had sufficient juice and space on the card.

Now I'll tilt the camera, press the Info button and search for the info among the histograms and shooting data. Shooting in a hurry, that's unnecessary time wasting, but only IMO.

Mark my words, there be a lot more users running out of card and battery space and as there's no improvement to the On/Off switch the complaints about the switch will increase. Just for styling purposes, the change wasn't worth it, IMO.

On/Off switch should have been locked-in with the Set button to avoid accidental close down.

Edited by Rolo

I'll have zero choice on it, but for me the top plate was the right place for that info. Immediate confirmation from a glance that the camera was live, had sufficient juice and space on the card.

Even with the top plate info, I would run out of juice as the reading was pretty inconsistent on how much battery was left.

I agree it was a quick way to see if it was live, but this can be fixed by simply pressing slightly on the shutter, this makes sure it is live and it is kind of automatic for me now when I don't use it for a while.

All in all, no big deal for me as on the plus side, it might provide better weather sealed and more autonomy.

I'll have zero choice on it, but for me the top plate was the right place for that info. Immediate confirmation from a glance that the camera was live (as my switch often moves into the Off position and needs a trip to Solms to fix), had sufficient juice and space on the card.

Now I'll tilt the camera, press the Info button and search for the info among the histograms and shooting data. Shooting in a hurry, that's unnecessary time wasting, but only IMO.

Mark my words, there be a lot more users running out of card and battery space and as there's no improvement to the On/Off switch the complaints about the switch will increase. Just for styling purposes, the change wasn't worth it, IMO.

On/Off switch should have been locked-in with the Set button to avoid accidental close down.

start a timer :D

if it takes 2 hours for photo session then voila.. change!