60/2.8 Macro-R and adaptor question

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need to plumb considerable depths and wealth of the combined forum's knowledge to help me with a lens problem and I wonder if anyone can kindly help me please?

I have a 60 mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R #3566xxx E55 with R cam only (no cams 1 or 2) and I have just acquired a 2-cam Macro Adaptor (14256) but I can't get the lens to mount on the adaptor. The lens will sit properly in the adaptor but no amount of gentle persuasion will convince the lens to turn and engage mounts. I've tried both the adaptor wide open and closed and vice versa but it makes no difference.

I also have a 2 cam 90/2.8 Elmarit that will mount on the adaptor without a problem, the adaptor successfully operates the lens's diaphragm and the adaptor fits onto my R9 without a problem, as does my 60/2.8 Macro Elmarit. :confused:

Have I got the wrong version of 14256 adaptor, and if so, how would I know because there are no markings on it other than "Leitz Wetzlar Germany"? If I have foolishly managed to acquire the wrong 14256 version, which version should I look for?

Testing your good grace with a second, associated question, I've checked Puts's Leica Lens Compendium and the 7th edition Leica Pocket Book but I haven't been able to determine which of the 4 versions of the 60 mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R lens I have. Can anyone help with this please?

Many thanks,

Pete.

I need to plumb considerable depths and wealth of the combined forum's knowledge to help me with a lens problem and I wonder if anyone can kindly help me please?

I have a 60 mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R #3566xxx E55 with R cam only (no cams 1 or 2) and I have just acquired a 2-cam Macro Adaptor (14256) but I can't get the lens to mount on the adaptor. The lens will sit properly in the adaptor but no amount of gentle persuasion will convince the lens to turn and engage mounts. I've tried both the adaptor wide open and closed and vice versa but it makes no difference.

I also have a 2 cam 90/2.8 Elmarit that will mount on the adaptor without a problem, the adaptor successfully operates the lens's diaphragm and the adaptor fits onto my R9 without a problem, as does my 60/2.8 Macro Elmarit. :confused:

Have I got the wrong version of 14256 adaptor, and if so, how would I know because there are no markings on it other than "Leitz Wetzlar Germany"? If I have foolishly managed to acquire the wrong 14256 version, which version should I look for?

Testing your good grace with a second, associated question, I've checked Puts's Leica Lens Compendium and the 7th edition Leica Pocket Book but I haven't been able to determine which of the 4 versions of the 60 mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R lens I have. Can anyone help with this please?

Many thanks,

Pete.

Pete

If your adaptor is 2 cam only, then it is designed for Leicaflexes (original, SL and SL2). It won't work properly on an R camera, because it will need a third cam to "relay" the aperture information from the third cam of the lens through to the camera. R cameras require three cam lenses and adaptors, or third cam only, or ROM lenses (which also have third cam only). Your 2 cam adaptor may well mount on an R camera, but it won't work properly, because it won't relay the necessary aperture information properly..

Third cam only lenses have a modified flange to prevent them mounting on Leicaflexes, SL's and SL2's (because they are missing the required first and second cams). I suspect that the lens facing side of your 2 cam adaptor is seen by the lens as the mount of one of these earlier cameras, and the lens is therefore prevented from mounting on it.

I guess that you need a three cam macro adaptor.

I recall that to mount the old macro adapter (the one that is specific to the 60 and marked accordingly), you had to put your diaphragm at 22.

If you wish to mount a ROM lens to the BR2 bellows (or equivalent non ROM device) you need to do one of the following:

1) mount the bellows to the camera first, and then mount the lens,

or 2) bring the connecting diaphragm link to its opposite position BY HAND and the lens will fit in the non ROM device.

Granted, this is quite annoying when you are unaware of yet another of Leica idio synchrasies.

Pete--

IIRC, at one time, Leica could fit the R cam to the older adapter.

They may still be able to do so, though the price might be enough to obliterate any savings on the 'older' adapter.

I would check with any good Leica technician about whether the update is reasonable. Don't know who to recommend; in US, I'd say Sherry Kräuter or Don Goldberg.

Even if you have bought the wrong adapter, you should be able to mount it. As has already been pointed out by geaibleu, you need to set the f stop to 22 before you mount it.

You are incorrect when you refer to 4 versions. The 2.8/60 has never been redesigned and there is only one version of that lens optically. However, if you refer to the mount, there are some changes. The first ones had Series 8 filters, which was later changed to E55, there were 2 cams and 3 cams, before the final ROM version. Based on the serial number, I believe yours is the one prior to the ROM version.

The 2,8/60 is a steller lens and one of the most underrated lenses in the entire R system

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pete,

It sounds like the macro adapter you have is really the older 14198 instead of the newer 14256. You can Google around for these Leica numbers to find a picture that matches your adapter to verify. The correct 14256 Macro-Adapter-R will cause you no trouble mounting any Leica R lens from 50mm and up, with any Leicaflex cam or R mount configuration, including ROM lenses. In contrast, the older 14198 adapter was intended for just the 2- and 3-cam 60mm macro lens with Leicaflex flange and will not mount any of the R flange lenses. The 14198 also had a C-shaped key ring in the front throat that was specific to the 60mm macro lens. The key was just glued in though, and when removed allowed many of the other Leicaflex flange lenses to mount as well. That's likely the reason your 2-cam 90/2.8 will mount on your adapter. If you can find the later 'true' 14256 adapter your problem should disappear. You will have aperture control with any Leicaflex or R lens that has the 3rd R cam, or just the R cam.

Best regards,

Neal

Edited by nbgronlie
Added more info.

Geaibleu, Howard, Ivar and Neal,

Many thanks for taking the time to help me!

Geaibleu: I had tried all of the aperture combinations - adaptor and lens at f/22, both at f/2.8, one at f/22 and the other at f/2.8 but it wouldn't mount.

Howard: Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that adding the R cam would make any difference because, although it might sort out changing the lens's aperture with the adaptor, it wouldn't help to physically mount the lens. :(

Ivar: Yes, I was (perhaps incorrectly :rolleyes:) referring to the mount changes as different versions. I agree with you that my lens is the one previous to the ROM mount version. Since you've managed to identify the lens through its serial number, is this resource available online by any chance?

Neal: You're spot on, there is a C-shaped key in the throat of the adaptor - I hadn't noticed it before - so this must be the 14198 as you suspected not the 14256 (as it was advertised!). The C ring is solidly installed so I think I shall cut my losses and look for a bona fide 14256 this time equipped with the knowledge of what to look out for.

Again many thanks to you all and this thread is another confirmation of what a great resource the forum is and how helpful its members are! Long may that continue. :)

Pete.