A REAL dealer story about the M9

scjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In answer to the original question about the date of first deliveries to paying customers of the M8 it seems that this was the 30th October 2006 in France.

The subsequent suggestion that Leica did not care about who bought them is simply not true. It may be that they did not care about whose hands were on the majority of those in the first batch but they made sure some paying customers, me included, were sold one of these first cameras and they specifically asked for constructive feedback.

All this raises an interesting point. Those who bought them without any intervention by Leica were obviously free to post observations and findings about the performance of their particular M8 on the forum as they pleased. However those of us who had been targeted by Leica to have early access to an M8s were not in that position.

Clearly many people started to have concerns about the camera within days. The initial reaction I got from Leica UK when I raised serious issues about the performance of my particular camera was that it was an unfortunate but isolated case. They even quoted the fact that none of the beta testers had raised any such concerns – more than enough has already been said on this point.

Something however was not right, in fact quite a few things, but was it my particular camera, was it that I was doing something wrong or perhaps it was the new software or my computer? All these questions had to be addressed. This took a little time and I did not feel that it was the responsible thing to do to start publicising the problems I was having. Quite soon it became clear that I was not alone and the postings on this Forum confirmed that it was probably not down to me. At this stage Leica specifically asked me for sample DNG files.

Now it seems that we are about to have a new camera launched. I have no plans to acquire one in the short term and I have not been approached by Leica. If there are problems again this time round, let us hope not, I guess the company will weather any storm with ease. Things were very different back in October / November 2006. The company was in difficulties and the earliest possible launch of a digital M was an imperative. Any negative publicity immediately after the public launch was then a very serious matter.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, yeah, we got it. You are really special and Leica cares about you and you detected the problems very quick...

Maybe I would be more impressed if I had been exchanging emails with Leica engineers in Germany about the same problems at the same time...

Leica is a small company. Getting in touch with them is relatively easy. You can still think it makes you very special. I do not think this the case for me though and I have some doubts about you.

So long.

Followup @ Jamie - Linda says Hi, and Jim wants to work with you on C1 profiles for the S2 once it's available.

Neither - naturally - said anything in detail about what's coming 9/9 - but when I got home it had all broken loose on the Web anyway. THEY (Leica reps) are gonna google the brochure to find out what they're selling!!

They gave me some non-secret background info which is pointless to mention now, except that there will be product available to see and try on Sept. 9 at TWO of the stores in their sales region - some store in Phoenix (Guy Mancuso probably knows which), and PictureLine in Salt Lake City.

The (unnamed but obvious by now) new M digital camera will be available for immediate deliveries - unless demand overpowers supply.

Guest guy_mancuso

Actually I just left Photomark here in Phoenix, needed a quick shooting bag for a gig tomorrow but they are having a Leica event on the 9th as well and Mike Leslie will be here in Phoenix. I may drop in myself later in the day.

Andy say hi to Jim and Linda for me as well and I must make a comment about the C1 Profile , does that mean we can actually SEE the S2 DNG in C1. Tell them that would really make my day if that is the case and might just get me much closer. Okay I hate Light Room, sorry folks. But that is from years of working with one Raw processor and i am too lazy to switch. LOL

BTW obviously this is eminent and i have refrained pretty much from talking about it except some general posts but I'm afraid i will not be going down the M9 path with you all this time but I truly want to wish you all the best of luck . I do have a workshop in Oregon in October and hopefully I can get my hands on some of this new stuff for it. I would love to play with all of them and i do hope that little one is real, I would love to have one actually.

Obviously I am looking at the S2. But just looking for now. LOL

Edited by guy_mancuso

Hopefully all of that mess is well behind us and I am betting the M9 will not even come close to having those issues.

Me too, Leica is in the digital game just like Canon and Nikon, and they know how ruthless and how fast the internet works for and against anyone these days. Canon is *still* trying to get out of the hole with some bad releases, Nikon waited forever to release of what is considered to be virtually faultless product.

Digital photography is a tough, tough business for anyone who has to make everyone happy, pull a profit and beta test the crap out of stuff. You can bet your behind that Leica was working on the M9 before the M8 was even released.

I can't wait to check it out in person Wednesday, I am kind of tired of having money wrapped up in two sets of fast primes in 35mm.

Clearly many people started to have concerns about the camera within days. The initial reaction I got from Leica UK when I raised serious issues about the performance of my particular camera was that it was an unfortunate but isolated case. They even quoted the fact that none of the beta testers had raised any such concerns

Old history but interesting nonetheless. I remember talking to the "digital expert" (Noddy?) at Leica UK at least two weeks (probably nearer a month) after the 'IR sensitivity' furore had taken hold on the internet only to be told that he had never heard about the problem.