A REAL dealer story about the M9

scjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK OK. I have read all of the "there are too many M9 rumor posts" but I was curious about all of the "I talked to the dealer" posts so I talked to mine. His store is the biggest Leica dealer in my "region." I asked "tell me, what do you hear." He said "nothing." He said he has heard the same rumors as everyone. He said he "assumes" that 9-9-9 is a date well-suited for an M9 and that something will be announced but he doesn't know what. He said that Leica has scheduled a "training session" with his sales team in mid to late September. He said he could make a waiting list but with no price and no specs what's the use.

So it sounds like it is just a big rumor mill. Certainly there will be an announcement but rumors about delivery dates et all are just that at this point... rumors.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclined to believe that 9/9 will be a big announcement day but, if the rest of the photo industry is anything to go by, the delivery of product will be weeks or months later. Even Nikon & Canon don't ship product on announcement day, or even close to it.

I hope I'm proven wrong but ...

OK OK. I have read all of the "there are too many M9 rumor posts" but I was curious about all of the "I talked to the dealer" posts so I talked to mine. He said he could make a waiting list but with no price and no specs what's the use....

Here's a quote from one of the absolute best dealers in the country...

"Just so you know, Leica has not released any information to dealers regarding any new product, order codes, prices, availability, delivery dates, etc. We don't expect to find out anything official until 9/9, along with everyone else."

I believe him.

I also believe at least 1 special customer is already out shooting his M9 happily...

Tote up the known facts:

1. Leica is making a major announcement on 9/9/9 at 9:09.

2. There is an official Japanese Leica website (since taken down) with information confirming what is believed regarding FF, 18 mps, etc.

3. A dealer I have conversed with is a) hosting a "Leica Day" in which new products are to be introduced on 9/9, and yet B) tells me -- and I believe him -- that he has no official info, no prices, no delivery date.

To me this says: yes, major announcement on September 9th, major initiative by Leica, yes to the M9 announced on that day, yes to all we believe, AND the dealers are telling the truth: they won't be briefed until sometime next week, at which point they will gear up to get ready.

Ready for deliveries? Well, let's start a pool. I say that the first M9 is delivered in Paris on October 23rd, following the announcement on the 9th saying they would be available "in October." If a separate pool starts up, I claim 10/23, Paris, and the first one doesn't hit the US til the following Monday, after a long weekend in customs in NJ.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've officially heard Leica will introduce a camera on the ninth. My friend, who is also a Leica rep will be at the largest selling Leica dealer on the west coast on the ninth and a second store of theirs on the tenth. Depending on what Leica announces on the ninth determines whether or not I'll drive for a couple of hours on the tenth to look at it. If Leica announces a camera like the new Panasonic with an M mount for around $1200 I'll drive and probably order.

Anyone want to take bets as to whether Pascal gets the first M9? :)

No doubt! We know the camera will be released in France first. :p

Well, I mean, aside from the one that accidentally got shipped to the "amateur Vietnamese photographer." :rolleyes:

Edited by ho_co

scj--

I don't know what "biggest Leica dealer in my 'region'" means, but as off said, the largest dealer on the west coast will be having a whingding. So will the largest dealer in the Texas/Oklahoma/Louisiana sales territory.

Someone a few days ago claimed that "the largest dealer in Texas" didn't have any festivities going on--but the person who posted that had no idea who the largest dealer in Texas is.

No dealer knows how much volume another does, and it's logical that if they were once a big dealer, they think they still are.

Get with the plan, man! :) Instead of saying "my dealer hasn't heard anything about it," check around and find out where the party is.

Joe's Camera Shop isn't going to tell you that all the hoopla is going to be at Pat's across town.

Edited by ho_co

Lucky Pascal. Whether he is fondling his pre-production M9 (under the invisibility cloak of an NDA) or has no more clue than the rest of us, all he has to say is "no comment," and we'll treat him like a god.

There seems to be a bigger gap than before between the top-ot-the-line Leica retailers and the common folks working from their stalls at the back of the bazaar. Perhaps this is the result of setting up Pro Support services for the S2, or a pendulum swing after Mr. Lee's flirtation with Internet direct sales. My dealer moves a lot of iron, but I don't think he fits in the new favored category. He tells me he won't know schedules and availability until a few minutes after the announcement. I believe him. He keeps a waiting list but doesn't take deposits.

scott

Lucky Pascal. Whether he is fondling his pre-production M9 (under the invisibility cloak of an NDA) or has no more clue than the rest of us,

I do not have any pre-production M9 for sure but I may have more clues. Anyway, I had been "lucky" to get one of the first M8 but never asked for it. Things happened that way, that's all.

I'll probably get an M9 too but I'm in no hurry.

all he has to say is "no comment," and we'll treat him like a god.

Did not noticed being treated like a god but feel free to try, I may appreciate it ;)

Tote up the known facts:

1. Leica is making a major announcement on 9/9/9 at 9:09.

2. There is an official Japanese Leica website (since taken down) with information confirming what is believed regarding FF, 18 mps, etc.

3. A dealer I have conversed with is a) hosting a "Leica Day" in which new products are to be introduced on 9/9, and yet B) tells me -- and I believe him -- that he has no official info, no prices, no delivery date.

To me this says: yes, major announcement on September 9th, major initiative by Leica, yes to the M9 announced on that day, yes to all we believe, AND the dealers are telling the truth: they won't be briefed until sometime next week, at which point they will gear up to get ready.

Ready for deliveries? Well, let's start a pool. I say that the first M9 is delivered in Paris on October 23rd, following the announcement on the 9th saying they would be available "in October." If a separate pool starts up, I claim 10/23, Paris, and the first one doesn't hit the US til the following Monday, after a long weekend in customs in NJ.

One wild card is the rep. Talking over the past couple of years with a local dealer (different, I think, from that other "local dealer") I get the impression that some reps run their own game with the dealers. Nothing over the top, but still a game.

Oddly enough I'll be in Paris on the 23rd. Should I be any place in particular to watch the M9s parachute out of the sky?

And by the way...What are the historical rankings on the announcement-to-delivery-gap? When was the last time a manufacturer had boxes of cameras pre-positioned at retailers, ready to be placed on the shelves the day of an announcement. (Or even the same month.) (Or quarter.)

And by the way...What are the historical rankings on the announcement-to-delivery-gap? When was the last time a manufacturer had boxes of cameras pre-positioned at retailers, ready to be placed on the shelves the day of an announcement. (Or even the same month.) (Or quarter.)

I've never seen this happen and I REALLY don't think it's going to happen with Leica of all people.

If anyone thinks that dealers professing to not having any official word of product and availability until the announcements on 9/9 are going to suddenly have a FedEx truck turn up a couple of hours later with boxes of cameras to sell then they really need their head examining. That just doesn't make sense. :D

My money is on cameras arriving in small batches over time following the first delivery. When that first delivery will be? Who knows.

Here's a quote from one of the absolute best dealers in the country...

"Just so you know, Leica has not released any information to dealers regarding any new product, order codes, prices, availability, delivery dates, etc. We don't expect to find out anything official until 9/9, along with everyone else."

I believe him.

I also believe at least 1 special customer is already out shooting his M9 happily...

Ok it's Seal or Wim Wenders. If you don't answer I take it as a yes.

I just pictured the 9th in my head, attending one of the presentations at a reputable Leica dealership:

"Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to our Leica presentation, it's 8 minutes past the hour, so I think we can unbox this beauty now, which is...a C-LUX 3 Pokemon Edition?"

Seriously, I doubt any dealer would hold a small event without knowing what to present?

On the other hand, maybe that's gonna be it - I should try and make it myself to Meister on that afternoon...