100 reasons for getting an M9

chris_tribble

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason would be the option of better in-camera JPEGs. I know that many here couldn't possible take a shot of their cat or wife sitting in a restaurant in anything less than 16-bit colour, blah blah, but there are a number of occasions when shooting a bunch of JPEGs makes more sense than messing around converting RAWs.

i think the first reason why "the usual" M shooter would by the M9 is low light performance...

if the new camera won't perform "stunningly" at 1600 iso... no film user will have reason to buy it..

in my opinion the biggest prblem of the M8 is that it sucks in low light...

i personally would be very happy with a 5d mark2 sensor... :)

Are you suggesting film performs "stunningly" at ISO 1600

:confused:

Guest BigSplash
Assuming that it's 18MP, full frame, has framelines from 29-135, and has significantly better performance up to 3200, what would your reasons be for getting one? My top 5 (off the top of my head) are:

1. my 28 cron asph will be a true 28 again (and usable without needing an external finder)
  2. When I shoot the M9 alongside the 5D2, the file size discrepancy won't be so exteme
  3. I'll have the low light performance I need for performance and documentary work
  4. the beautiful 90 cron asph that I rarely use will come back into its own as a preferred portrait lens
  5. the occasional annoyance of reflected lights from the IR filter won't be there any more

Looking forward to the 9th!

The answer is obvious:

1 Bragging rights ....latest model of M Leica, and will be rare initially at least.

2 At £5000 significantly more expensive than M8 and other makes..people will know that you are a person of means, a connoiseur someone who knows what is the best .

3 The Brand and I have several Leicas already but not the M9 obviously.

I believe that the fact that it takes excellent photos is a given. However will those pictures be better than those from a M8? That will be the question that will interest myself.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The answer is obvious:

1 Bragging rights ....latest model of M Leica, and will be rare initially at least.

2 At £5000 significantly more expensive than M8 and other makes..people will know that you are a person of means, a connoiseur someone who knows what is the best .

These are two very good reasons for NOT buying an M9, IMHO.

These are two very good reasons for NOT buying an M9, IMHO.

Yes, but Frank/Vinnay (whoever he/she is this time) does have a point. These are the kind of reasons why at least some will be anxious to get to their dealer next Wednesday. Unless you are desperate to be first on the block with the new camera there are few reasons not to bide your time and buy the M9 in a more considered manner. It's not as if the M9 is going to be a limited edition or Leica are going out of business anytime soon.

Edited by wattsy

I would like to see:

1. A perfect camera right from the beginning - without any M8 type technical flaw.

2. A industry leading Dynamic Range , with a possible latitude of 2 stops [no more highlight clipping]

3. At least 14 bit [preferably 16 bit ] for a great tonal gradation

4. 3D-esque imaging with natural colour and wide gamut

6. an accurate and state of the art metering system

And of course, 18 MP, no IR issue and a good battery life.

Edited by leica007

I would like to see:

1. A perfect camera right from the beginning - without any M8 type technical flaw.

2. A industry leading Dynamic Range , with a possible latitude of 2 stops [no more highlight clipping]

3. At least 14 bit [preferably 16 bit ] for a great tonal gradation

4. 3D-esque imaging with natural colour and wide gamut

6. an accurate and state of the art metering system

And of course, 18 MP, no IR issue and a good battery life.

How about a magic shutter release that when depressed would produce the image exactly how you see it in your mind's eye? :rolleyes:

Efftee, don't be ridiculous and amateurish. These specs are already a reality, available in other camera systems; we are not talking sci-fi here.

If Leica wants to price M9 around $8000 - the rumoured price, then these specs are justified vis-a-vis similarly priced cameras.

Beside Nikon D3X and Canon 1DsmkIII - please keep in mind that RED camera systems will soon join the party. If you follow

RED / Index and

REDUSER.net,

then you will know what I am refering to.

Jings, it's quite hard to add more to the 25 or so reasons mentioned.

For me, while it's true that an excellent camera does not guarantee a similar quality of photograph, I strongly believe that the quality of instrument you use can deeply influence how you produce something. This is why the Leica M concept, from a personal perspective, is so compelling for creative photography. I still get the same buzz viewing the files my M8 produces as I did the day I got it (when I was 'blown away' by the first images I took in comparison with my Canon dSLRs).

So I believe that the M9 has to live up to the essence of what makes the M series. In terms of improvements over the M8, that would be (forgive me that this replicates 99% of the ongoing list) -

- Image quality at least as good as the M8, in full frame 35mm equiv format.

- Image quality higher at higher ISO (at least to 1250 as it currently does to 640. 2500/3200 to match current 1250 would be borderline acceptable. This is supposed to be THE low light camera system...)

- Better weatherproofing (This is a reportage system. While I've had no problems in Scottish rain with the M8, it would help to feel it's a wee bit more bulletproof)

- More reliable electronic system

- Higher dynamic range

- A shutter that sounds like my M3/ M6 (yes I do think this makes a difference)

- No requirement for UV/ IR filters (I could probably live with them to be perfectly honest)

If the majority of this can be achieved, I'll be one of the first (hopefully) to buy into the new system. If not, no problem, there's years of fulfilling and wonderful photography to be had with my M8.