100 reasons for getting an M9

chris_tribble

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming that it's 18MP, full frame, has framelines from 29-135, and has significantly better performance up to 3200, what would your reasons be for getting one? My top 5 (off the top of my head) are:

1. my 28 cron asph will be a true 28 again (and usable without needing an external finder)
  2. When I shoot the M9 alongside the 5D2, the file size discrepancy won't be so exteme
  3. I'll have the low light performance I need for performance and documentary work
  4. the beautiful 90 cron asph that I rarely use will come back into its own as a preferred portrait lens
  5. the occasional annoyance of reflected lights from the IR filter won't be there any more

Looking forward to the 9th!

think it would be great a digital FF M. However all the above issues may be solved my..an m6/m7? isn't it? ;)

Honestly, for anyone who is not a pro and already own an M8/8.2, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to buy an M9.

That being said, I have a very good reason to buy an M9... But we will just have to WATE and see. But that aside my only concerns are my MATE and Viso.

An interesting assumption. My Dealer still swears the Sensor will be Canon (CMOS). But Seven Days and counting.

why would anyone buy a m9 with a canon 18mpix sensor? you can have a 5dII for half the money and shoot R glass with it?

there is no way the m9 (with a ccd) will be able to compete with canon or nikon on high iso...but with the smaller/lighter camera format, fast lenses and no mirror bounce a good 800 (comaprable to a 320 with the m8) and usable 1200 would be fine...and should be possible...

why would anyone buy a m9 with a canon 18mpix sensor? you can have a 5dII for half the money and shoot R glass with it?

I fully accept the possibility that it's disinformation just to stir up speculation, but it's what he said, and he named the Leica rep who said it... as I will be seeing the rep next week, I won't mention his name here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Honestly, for anyone who is not a pro and already own an M8/8.2, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to buy an M9. That said, like me, I'm certain there are many such amateurs already on the pre-order list for one. No why, no how. ;)

You are welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. If you are an amateur with a big investment in Leica lenses, you are fully justified in making an investment to get full use out of them.

To take your point to it's logical conclusion, all non-pros should be shooting point-and-shoot little digicams.

How about, if you can afford one, an M9 is justifiable because it will create joy.

- i will not be blocked anymore by this itching feeling of not having the best of the best

- when i have a bad photo (happens a lot) i cannot say that i should have had a m9

- the possibility to make huge prints and poststamp size crops (which i both never do)

- the feeling of being a first rate man again, i count, i am in the race again

- i get admiration and make all other photographers jealous (except collegue m9 owner)

but i doubt if in the end i will make better pictures...

cheers

sam

i think the first reason why "the usual" M shooter would by the M9 is low light performance...

if the new camera won't perform "stunningly" at 1600 iso... no film user will have reason to buy it..

in my opinion the biggest prblem of the M8 is that it sucks in low light...

i personally would be very happy with a 5d mark2 sensor... :)

Assuming that it's 18MP, full frame, has framelines from 29-135, and has significantly better performance up to 3200, what would your reasons be for getting one? My top 5 (off the top of my head) are:

1. my 28 cron asph will be a true 28 again (and usable without needing an external finder)
  2. When I shoot the M9 alongside the 5D2, the file size discrepancy won't be so exteme
  3. I'll have the low light performance I need for performance and documentary work
  4. the beautiful 90 cron asph that I rarely use will come back into its own as a preferred portrait lens
  5. the occasional annoyance of reflected lights from the IR filter won't be there any more

Looking forward to the 9th!

Chris those are appealing assumptions and we don't have long to wait for whatever anouncements.

Just looking in reverse when compared to the M8

On a 24x36 sensor your 28 would return to its film FoV as you say,

But using at as a 37-ish FoV reportage lens right now on the M8 you get more DoF for zone focussing.

My superb APO Summicron-M 75 mm ASPH now replaces a 90 for portraiture on the M8. It is considerably smaller than its 90 brother and close focus performance and lack of focus shift are superb too.

IF the new camera does not require the UV/IR filter then you can take it off, but you lose the protective function for your front element and you have to refit it to then use the lens on your M8.

Swings and roundabouts :)

20. My15 c/v will be INSANE on full-frame :)

21. My 21 f/2.8 Mandler will get back to its proper FoV

22. I can get a compact 35 f/2 to replace my interim 28 f/2.8 ASPH - 1 stop more speed, same size, same FoV, Mandler color and drawing

23. I can use my 90 f/2 Mandler pre-APO, which has a completely different (and IMHO far superior) fingerprint to any of the APO 'crons

24. I get back 135 framelines.

25. I get the quiet shutter, the more-accurate framelines, and the new 2-year warranty without paying extra for an upgrade.

26. At least one paper step larger prints from the 80% more pixels.

27. No more screwing around with "almost" lenses - I can happily stick with 21 f/2.8, 35 f/2 (or 1.4) and 90 f/2 for the next 25 years, instead of carrying a hodge-podge of 15/21/28/50/90 to be sure of having just the FoV or aperture I need in a given situation.

----

28. No IR filters to scare subjects or limit my choices among older Leica lenses if I want 'em.

Edited by adan

Hoppyman, i love your signature line. Best one I have ever read, laugh every time I see it.

I have actually been thinking that about that fact for a few days now, smaller sensor more DoF. I still shoot mostly film and going back and forth to the M8, I struggle with what I am seeing/framing. The draw back to the crop is that to get the same framing you have to step back but then everyone is further away. For me the closer i am the more i like my photos. I have decided to keep my current m8 and will add an M9 in the near future. I am wondering how much I have been unknowingly leaning on that extra DoF... Guess time will tell, but it also makes fools of us all, as the saying goes, so my hopes aren't to high.

Chris those are appealing assumptions and we don't have long to wait for whatever anouncements.

Just looking in reverse when compared to the M8

On a 24x36 sensor your 28 would return to its film FoV as you say,

But using at as a 37-ish FoV reportage lens right now on the M8 you get more DoF for zone focussing.

My superb APO Summicron-M 75 mm ASPH now replaces a 90 for portraiture on the M8. It is considerably smaller than its 90 brother and close focus performance and lack of focus shift are superb too.

IF the new camera does not require the UV/IR filter then you can take it off, but you lose the protective function for your front element and you have to refit it to then use the lens on your M8.

Swings and roundabouts :)

Hi, Lars - have you looked at the thread regarding Leica Japan's accidental M9 web page?

From a translation (auto and bad) from the Japanese: "By developing a new image sensor, infrared can be cut without loss of quality you can use the M lenses. IR / UV filter is not necessary to install also."

Like you, A) we shall see just how accurate that is, and B) yes I will keep at least one M8 for backup, and probably have fun with the IR capabilities as well.

the M9 will be smallest and lightest fullframe digital camera avialable for now. with 35 summicron attach i think it'll be great travel camera.

Really good point.

While I admire and respect those who only use Ms for the professional work, I still find it's best for me to have two systems. If I had to make a choice between M and DSLR for paid work only, it would be tough, and I'd probably stick with the Canons and buy some more primes (:o). When it comes to personal work, however, and maintaining maximum flexibility for certain kinds of assignment, the M would be the system of choice - and if I was told I could only ever have one system for the rest of my natural, it would be M again.

Never being able to use an M + 35 cron again would be so miserable!

You are welcome to your opinion, but I disagree. If you are an amateur with a big investment in Leica lenses, you are fully justified in making an investment to get full use out of them.

To take your point to it's logical conclusion, all non-pros should be shooting point-and-shoot little digicams.

How about, if you can afford one, an M9 is justifiable because it will create joy.

Hi John, yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. Mine is a rational one based on needs; the Leica lenses are not wasted on an M8, far from it. If what you say hold water, then each preceding model should be discontinued when a new one is introduced. But they are not. The M8.2 will continue to be produced and sold, or so they say, which only makes sense. Nikon, Canon, etc, regularly update and continue to sell a greater range of sub-ff DSLRs than their ff siblings. There are obviously photographers who are happily having their needs taken care of by using the sub-ffs with their collection of lenses.

Your opinion, OTOH, is based on wants -- to bring about joy. That desire is a justification, ipso facto. It may be a case of semantics but to me, that is not justification, it is folly. And I submit to it too -- desire is a more powerful force than reason. In my modest experience in marketing/advertising, if you convince a consumer that he/she wants it, they will come up with the reasons why they need it.

But lets not confuse needs with wants though. I don't need an M9. I want it. I have preordered it. And I will have it. :)