100 reasons for getting an M9

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Assuming that it's 18MP, full frame, has framelines from 29-135, and has significantly better performance up to 3200, what would your reasons be for getting one? My top 5 (off the top of my head) are:

1. my 28 cron asph will be a true 28 again (and usable without needing an external finder)
  2. When I shoot the M9 alongside the 5D2, the file size discrepancy won't be so exteme
  3. I'll have the low light performance I need for performance and documentary work
  4. the beautiful 90 cron asph that I rarely use will come back into its own as a preferred portrait lens
  5. the occasional annoyance of reflected lights from the IR filter won't be there any more

Looking forward to the 9th!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I would add:

1. The WATE would actually now have a 15mm angle of view;

2. My 21 Summilux would now be a 21mm lens.

3. My 50mm Summilux would once again be the lens that stays on my camera 90% of the time.

Among those three, #3 is the one that makes me smile.

On the downside: the 135 I sold in 2006 when I got an M8 sure looks good again.... :-( JB

Two extra reasons ...

1] I didn't sell my 135 Apo Telyt!

2] I invested in a FrankenFinder which will now cover everything from the CV15 through to my 21 Elmarit (which will now be a true 21 again - and am I looking forward to that!)

Reflecting on this, I think the real issue against the M8 is the compromise we've had to make. It's been SO much better than not having a DRF, and I'll not regret having bought back in to Leica, but I won't regret leaving the cropped sensor behind. It's exactly the same feeling I had making the transition (with the lenses I'd invested in) from Canon 1n and 1v to 20D / 1Dmk2 and then 5 series (I never could bring myself to make the spend on a 1Ds2 or 3...)

Assuming that it's 18MP, full frame, has framelines from 29-135, and has significantly better performance up to 3200, .....

How can a FF 18 MP Kodak CCD Sensor with ISO between 80 and 2500 ISO achieve that? To that end you can look forward to the 9th - yet you will be disappointed. We should not expect Nikon D700/D3 type of high ISO performance from the M9, unfortunately.

There is one very obvious reason that nobody has mentioned yet, that I suspect will motivate many current M8x owners.

- Being the first kid on the block with the newest, shiniest, more expensive toy.

There are those who will be incandescent with frustration until they can do so. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

How can a FF 18 MP Kodak CCD Sensor with ISO between 80 and 2500 ISO achieve that? To that end you can look forward to the 9th - yet you will be disappointed. We should not expect Nikon D700/D3 type of high ISO performance from the M9, unfortunately.

Actually - REALLY good at 1250 will do me - most of my work with the M8 is between 21 and 50, and I have fast lenses. Above that and I tend to use the Canon 85 1.2 / 70-200 2.8 / 300 2.8. That's the combo I want to pair with the M9... I use the M8 all the time alongside the 5D/5D2 at the moment - but for the reasons mentioned (file size / high ISO issues) it's not ideal, GOOD, but not ideal.

>the beautiful 90 cron asph that I rarely use will come back into its own as a preferred portrait lens

I have the same issues with the 90mm on the M8:

1. small, tiny focusing area
  2. need a enlarger accessory lens screwed onto the viewfinder to truly enjoy it
  3. focusing is tough to get it right

I wonder if they have corrected [1] for the M9. Anyone know?

Honestly, for anyone who is not a pro and already own an M8/8.2, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to buy an M9. That said, like me, I'm certain there are many such amateurs already on the pre-order list for one. No why, no how. ;)

The good thing about not being a pro is that you don't a justifiable reason to buy the camera you want :)

There is one very obvious reason that nobody has mentioned yet, that I suspect will motivate many current M8x owners.

- Being the first kid on the block with the newest, shiniest, more expensive toy.

There are those who will be incandescent with frustration until they can do so. :rolleyes:

+1