Leica M9 + X1: Fake or real?

leica007

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and can someone tell the guy who runs Leica Rumor not to lift photos from elsewhere, without acknowledging [we acknowledged our source], and put his/her website name all over the photos. :mad:

Who's this "we"....????? Don't involve me in your unlawful activity!

"acknowledging our source" is still breaking somebody's copyright. That's a bit like running off from the shop saying "I stole it from Smiths!".

Just because something is on the internet does not mean it is copyright-free.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't the SN# on the X1 lens being 1234567 ring any alarm bells ?

NOT AT ALL!

go to the Leica website, got to M8/M8.2 and have a look on the fourth picture and on the serial number on the hot shoe.

they are using 1234567 very often for serial numbers in their ads.

if it were fake, actually it would NOT be 1234567, just not to be suspicious.

Those of us waiting for a digital version of the CM and for those who buy cameras like the Sigma DP1/DP2.

I do understand people are willing to pay a premium for getting a red dot on their camera (I myself chose the D-Lux over the LX3) but there is no way Leica can produce such a camera at competitive pricing. The DP2 is currently sold here for 50% of the D-Lux4 price, so I don't see how a X1 would fit into the Leica lineup, even if you calculate a 150% premium. (Unless the clux/dlux segment is adapted accordingly, which I doubt will happen.)

Well, I went back and took another look at the X1 image and I honestly cannot believe any industrial designer in his right mind would place the control buttons like this, cluttered all over the place. And take a look at the positioning of the Red Dot, too close to the release button. Not Leica like at all.

How would the doubters prefer their crow cooked (for eating after 9/9)?

X-1: yes, looks like a mockup. That says nothing at all about whether there will be a real product or not. Every product ever made (except maybe airliners) has a design mockup done first.

For those who don't remember: Leica C1 Leica C1 - Camerapedia.org

M9 - consistent with what LEICA themselves showed in the video. I'm still suspending judgement on specs until they are official from Leica, but I don't doubt the cosmetics.

This reminds me of the leakage regarding the Canon 5D - half the dpreview Canon forumers were livid with anger because anyone could believe Canon could do full-frame for $3200. Had to be fakes. Clearly photoshopped from an EOS 1.

Ooooops!

I don't trust the X1. It looks more like a design study than a real camera.

I agree too. Looks like someone has made the top plate out of a magnet and tossed the body in a plastic bag with some steel dials, leaving them to stick where they land

the black and "titanium" isn't a good look either and the front of the lens looks cheap

as a digital CM, if this is anything like close, it's not inherited any of its Daddy's good looks :D And, where's the viewfinder...?

I can accept the M9 image as being "real", but this X-1 just doesn't smell right to me

Edited by andybarton

The M9 in these photos is probably fake, look close at the 9 on the camera body.

However, I would not be surprised if the camera in the teaser movie is the real thing. But then, the video is released by Leica, not picked up on some dodgy internet site.

it will be very interesting to see what the real camera(s) look like on the 9th.

I plan to be there for the unveiling, and if there's a ff-M, my wallet is going to twitch. Shucks, I was saving for the 21 'lux.

Imagine how much fun these thread will be after the announcement. We can expect Leica to update their website so that we won't have to look at photoshopped pix.

So.

Nobody has yet provided a sensible explanation to a small but inconvenient observation...

What is an otherwise unremarkable Viet amateur photographer living in Hanoi doing with "photos" of Leica's newest products?

If you actually bother to check out his Flickr stream you will find a number of images of mocked up and outright fake M9s, D-Lux 5s, etc., some more convincing than others.

Regards,

Bill

Anyone remember this:

Samsungrolleiw.jpg

...?

Note the inset dials. I had one for a short while - superb handling, and great results. The dials popped up if you pressed down on them. You could then turn them and press them down to lock in a setting. One was aperture, the other shutterspeed.

I can see resemblances...

Regards,

Bill

What happened to Rollei anyway??? They should come back and join the fun with a 35 Digital ;)

"I do understand people are willing to pay a premium for getting a red dot on their camera (I myself chose the D-Lux over the LX3) but there is no way Leica can produce such a camera at competitive pricing"

Well, there would be no competition to the X1. A real Leica-lens and a well-sized sensor could produce M8-IQ in a tiny P&S!

The picture looks like a prototype/concept but not necessarily like a fake!?

What is an otherwise unremarkable Viet amateur photographer living in Hanoi doing with "photos" of Leica's newest products?

Ad hominem and irrelevant. If the images are accurate, it doesn't matter what route they traveled through the world-wide web. If inaccurate, it doesn't matter whether they came from a resident of Vietnam, or Oskar-Barnackstrasse.

Well, there would be no competition to the X1. A real Leica-lens and a well-sized sensor could produce M8-IQ in a tiny P&S!

The picture looks like a prototype/concept but not necessarily like a fake!?

It is not a picture of a real thing, but it can be the drawing from something real. I agree with you.