M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the fact that the physical news conference announcing this emanates from the Time Warner Building. Having worked for Time Warner for seven years, I guarantee you that whatever is announced -- and it will be an M9 -- will be the only cool thing ever announced from the Death Star, as we so fondly referred to that monster;-)

To those frustrated that this showed up on YouTube before any of us got an engraved invitation, just think of the Pavlovian reaction "discovering" it had on us all.

Smart, Internet-savvy marketing approach today, wise, inexpensive marketing approach on 9/9, all adding up to the Leica's new management and marketing team being on the ball.

I'd be willing to bet (and am certainly betting on the M9, having my name on a list with my favorite dealer) that the dominate word on all the threads starting at about 10:00 EDT/US next Thursday will be "Wow."

The lens attached to the M8/9 in the video, what is it? It looks about the size of a 35 lux but the hood arrangement seems different. I can't seem to recognize it.

Congrats on the arrival of your FF digital M.

It is a 35 mm. It has f: 1.4. And it looks a little bit different than the curent 35 Summilux.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/96795-m9-spotted-leica-youtube-video-5.html#post1015220

I think this thread is missing the decisive moment. Twenty years ahead, nobody will bother about a M9 of the past. But many will take photos with this lense and many will remember photos taken by it. And they will say: there has never been a better lens.

Edited by UliWer

Just arrived home and checked snail mail. I have received an invitation from a local, Washington-area dealer to their Leica Day event on September 9th. It says, "Join us for a landmark event on September 9th, 2009 from noon to 5 p.m. when we will introduce the next generation of Leica products."

The significance to this -- the reason I'm posting -- is because this is not B+H Photo in New York. This is a terrific, but small exurban dealer. If they are showing the next generation of products in the flesh, as it were, on that day, that means many other Leica dealers will have an M9 that day. Which means that there are many M9s made. Which means that we really will see M9s available for purchase soon after 9/9/09, if not that day.

Whoopee.

That looks sensible apart from the point about the front of plate until it curves bit - which looks to me as though it's just because of the angle of the shot - I don't think that's a relevant measurement.

I thought it looked odd too, but i went back and scrubbed through the video and have see the same thing is three different shots... looks weird but we will see soon enough I guess...

I know what you mean but why not! :-)

Actually I've looked at it again and I think the measurements by jquimby might not be perfect - firstly because the top of the hotshoe is angled in from the body and secondly because I am unsure if the given is taking account of the foreshortening effect?

Overall at the moment my guess is M9 is the same thickness as m8 but a little bit taller... but of course I stand to be corrected!

here is a (poor) picture....

flash hot shoe 16mm (M8 16mm)

front plate 74mm (M8 74mm)

thickness 33mm (M8 36mm)

front of plate until curve starts 9mm (M8 3mm)

You did a good job!

Reminded me to measure the thickness of M2/M3/M6.

Upps! 33mm:eek:

Don't believe this until I hold it in hands, which won't be so soon.

This isn't intended to be a negative comment, but my god all the chomping at the bit is amazing here. Measuring screen grabs with digital calipers!?! I thought I was excited about the possibility of a FF digital M ;)

I got the day off!!! :D

Doing back ups and cleaning up hard drives. Don't feel like starting any real projects so this video has been a pleasant distraction from waiting for files to finish coping....

Just arrived home and checked snail mail. I have received an invitation from a local, Washington-area dealer to their Leica Day event on September 9th.

Is this the one from Ashland, VA, or from another DC dealer having an event? I got the VA flier today...I like them as well as another dealer who is much closer, but unfortunately the one around the corner is not big enough to host an event. In any case, I'll probably catch the webcast first, then decide if I want to fight the traffic. (Or, I can probably learn more just by staying home and logging on here.)

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I continue to admire the enthusiasm of M9-spotters - perhaps someone should get T-shirts printed with the legend "I saw the M9 on 31 August" !

But seriously, ladies and gentlemen, Leica Camera may indeed be playing with you all - though not as you hope. What is the clip actually titled? "The next generation of Leica Cameras" Does that have to mean what everybody's salivating for? Perhaps not ... Germans are not without a sense of humour !

Just imagine - "And here is our new waterproof shock and fire resistant super slim camera range, carefully made in China to Leica Camera's own exacting standards ... models in a range of colours priced to suit all pockets." Finally, Leica as a cult fashion item - the oldest surviving German camera brand crashes into the 21st century and joins the other great world brands - Armani, Hermes, Burberry etc etc. High volume sales at huge profit margins and the future of the core camera activity is assured. I say "Bring It On !" We can all wait a bit longer for the M9.

Edited by scsambrook
typo

I continue to admire the enthusiasm of M9-spotters - perhaps someone should get T-shirts printed with the legend "I saw the M9 on 31 August" !

But seriously, ladies and gentlemen, Leica Camera may indeed be playing with you all - though not as you hope. What is the clip actually titled? "The next generation of Leica Cameras" Does that have to mean what everybody's salivating for? Perhaps not ... Germans are not without a sense of humour !

Just imagine - "And here is our new waterproof shock and fire resistant super slim camera range, carefully made in China to Leica Camera's own exacting standards ... models in a range of colours priced to suit all pockets." Finally, Leica as a cult fashion item - the oldest surviving German camera brand crashes into the 21st century and joins the other great wolrd brands - Armani, Hermes, Burberry etc etc. High volume sales at huge profit margins and the future of the core camera activity is assured. I say "Bring It On !" We can all wait a bit longer for the M9.

Aren't you the guy who tried to play it smart in another thread about the M9 and ended making 1 logical error per sentence?

I got the day off!!! :D

Doing back ups and cleaning up hard drives. Don't feel like starting any real projects so this video has been a pleasant distraction from waiting for files to finish coping....

I'm not actually criticizing you guys at all. I just checking on the LUF throughout the day, but my other work doesn't allow for playing around with YouTube clips that much. Although I do admit to watching them while on conference calls on mute.

33mm for M2/3/6 ?

Wow maybe I'm wrong then and jquimby is right!

Knowing me, unlikely, although they say there is a first time for everything!!

As I never shot with an M2/3/6 I wonder how noticeable 3mm really is when you holding it? Any one care to chime in?