M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With an 8GB card, you start with more than 700 exposures, do you really check after each picture? How often do you run out of memory cards on location?

I would not expect more than 300 raws + jpegs with a 18MP camera but i don't want to be disturbed by a screen during shootings personally. Maybe i've been spoiled with my R-D1's but i don't quite see why the M9 should be inferior to a film M or even an M8 from this standpoint. A Leica camera is not a gameboy after all.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe, but I'd argue that such an arrangement would be inferior to the little LCD on the M8. It's not something that I'd get my kacks in a twist about but I'll certainly find it irritating if I have to look through the viewfinder to find out basic information such as the battery status and shots remaining.

how can it be inferior when the information is where you should be looking anyway...through the finder....not sure about you but that is usually how i shoot...and so that is where i would like most my important info....

i actually prefer to see the remaining shots in the buffer....a constant countdown of shots remaining....when it actually goes to 0, i know the card is full.....but really with 500-700 images on a card, i rarely ever fill my cards up these days anyway....i just switch cards after a couple of 100 shots, so i know i am still good to go....so i usually have no more then 3-400 shots per card on several card at the end of a day....

my dream still is a full size, real time histogram projected over the entire image in the finder...and i can control the opacity 0-100%.....but again i would be more then happy with a FF m of any kind at this point....

how can it be inferior when the information is where you should be looking anyway...through the finder....not sure about you but that is usually how i shoot...and so that is where i would like most my important info..

I guess, unlike you, I'm not always taking a shot when I might want to know the state of the battery or number of shots left on a card. For instance, I might be shooting an event and have an M8 hanging off of each shoulder and want to quickly check that the one hanging off my left shoulder still has plenty of space on the SD card or that it isn't down to one bar of battery power. It's a lot easier to do this if I haven't got to look through the finder to see that information. As is regularly stated in these parts, YMMV.

my dream still is a full size, real time histogram projected over the entire image in the finder...and i can control the opacity 0-100%

Maybe it could play a jolly tune after each shot as well?

Edited by wattsy

Maybe, but I'd argue that such an arrangement would be inferior to the little LCD on the M8. It's not something that I'd get my kacks in a twist about but I'll certainly find it irritating if I have to look through the viewfinder to find out basic information such as the battery status and shots remaining.
Well, the thing is pretty useless as soon as the light goes, whoever thought of leaving out backlight on the top LCD made a bit of a mistake imo.

I agree. I'd prefer to see this information at a glance as well, instead having to push extra buttons to find it. I wouldn't mind if the top LCD were a little bigger to show ISO info at a glance as well (A for auto or a number otherwise).

But the screen on the back uses far more electricity than the liquid crystal display on the top. The screen on the back is a major cause of battery drain. Sorry, it doesn't make any sense to me to have the frame counter there.

At the moment I can just glance down and see the frame count and battery indicator. I can't see how having those on part of the camera that's hidden represents an improvement.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On location, I run out of battery once or twice a month. In circumstances where I'm taking lots of pictures of a short period of time I want to quickly see what the battery status is.

With an 8GB card, you start with more than 700 exposures, do you really check after each picture? How often do you run out of memory cards on location?

My bet is that the battery and "film" count is in the viewfinder.

Or on some display on top right.

In worst case there will be a female voice announcing after each shut "You have 771 frames left and 6 hours of battery. Press set to accept, press ISO to repeat this message in German"

(The M9.2 will be a lower male voice announcing it in a whispering tone)

My bet is that the battery and "film" count is in the viewfinder.

Or on some display on top right.

In worst case there will be a female voice announcing after each shut "You have 771 frames left and 6 hours of battery. Press set to accept, press ISO to repeat this message in German"

(The M9.2 will be a lower male voice announcing it in a whispering tone)

I bet it will be in the LCD on the back. We shall see soon.

ok..

Ich verstehe.. Es geht um jede Menge "geheimen" Kram und um das "ÜberdieRundenKommen" bei Leicas Fotoabteilung...

Sollte das etwas wirklich ! tolles sein, dann kaufe ich das.. Etwas halbgares wie eine M8 kann nicht wirklich überzeugen.

Eine rauschfreie Leica R 10 D mit Autofokus.. Keinen zugekauften Kram bitte !!

Dann würde ich sofort meine 10.000 Euro Nikonausrüstung verkaufen. Wenn es nix wird, dann kaufe ich mir als Zweitkamera ne D3x..

ok..

Ich verstehe.. Es geht um jede Menge "geheimen" Kram und um das "ÜberdieRundenKommen" bei Leicas Fotoabteilung...

Sollte das etwas wirklich ! tolles sein, dann kaufe ich das.. Etwas halbgares wie eine M8 kann nicht wirklich überzeugen.

Eine rauschfreie Leica R 10 D mit Autofokus.. Keinen zugekauften Kram bitte !!

Dann würde ich sofort meine 10.000 Euro Nikonausrüstung verkaufen. Wenn es nix wird, dann kaufe ich mir als Zweitkamera ne D3x..

A company that likes to sell digital cameras at the price range of 4500 +++++euros

should not change a similar product in small time circle,even high priced canon"s DSLR

have a longer life/model circle.We buy LEICA M for their longevity in function and in value

we accept simplicity in exchange of high resale value and endurance,we use LEICA M for the lenses quality even if we have to buy and screw various filters -UV IR CUT-that are practically expandable and have to be bought again and again from the real heavy users of M8 owners,we tolerate few iso choices-in the menu??????????- we tolerate that we have to remove the camera from our eye to change EV-the time is well gone-we tolerate noisy high iso and many others just to use a small body with small lenses-1,4 are as big as some AF lenses-just to move fast and discreet at a cost of way over 10000 euros,

and know we hear that in order to correct the initial design weaknesses of the M8 there is an M9.

Well done,but M8"s SHOULD BE TOTALY UPGRADABLE in order to maintain the company its strongest value which is endurance and as a result high value -now and later-otherwise

should sell at the price of all other APSC models which are also small and fully loaded.

And the R system story is an open wound as dedicated to company photographers are still waiting an answer for the thousands and thousands of euros they had spend even recently.Too much marketing belongs to DETERGENT companies and LOW COST prosumer DSLR companies.:cool::confused::D

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

• 5 weeks later...
Please correct me, if this has been mentioned before:

In sec. 36 of the video, the FRONT of the new camera (engraved as an M8!) can be seen in my opinion.

Most interesting features are - as compared with the M8/M8.2 as we know it:

All the proportions and distances of the front elements have changed, among them...

- The top is much higher (all along its width)

- The viewfinder window is much bigger/higher

- The rangefinder base could be greater (M8 engraving closer to edge, small window closer to M8 engraving)?,

- The step below the viewfinder window is greater (with the result that the window and the silver ring of the bayonet protruding from the body are in register; this probably allows for a 0.72x magnification of the viewfinder [the 0.68x of the M8/M8.2 probably resulted from the protruding bayonet ring without adapting the position of the viewfinder window])

Telyt2003

I tested the M9 today in the shop ( My Black M9 will be in Russia in November) and noticed a nice Nikon SP RF body on the shelf. It was the first time when I was able to touch a 2005 Nikon. Something was vaguely familiar in the shape of the upper part of the body, and I remembered this capture from the Leica movie. The shape of the Prototype (??) is less Leica M than Nikon RF. Am I imaging things, or it was a purposely leaked sign of Leica-Nikon co-operation?

Yevgeny

Moscow

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ynp