M9 spotted in Leica Youtube Video...

stevem7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All the proportions and distances of the front elements have changed, among them...

- The top is much higher (all along its width)

- The viewfinder window is much bigger/higher

- The rangefinder base could be greater (M8 engraving closer to edge, small window closer to M8 engraving)?,

- The step below the viewfinder window is greater

I am not sure about any of those points. When I look to my M8 from the correct perspective and angle I get the same visual impression: the viewfinder windows looks similar, the thickness is the same, etc.

We have two unquestionable evidences: the ISO button and the "step" at the left end of the camera. We know that there is a new M camera or prototype in the works. The other points are not so clear to me.

I am also sure the M9 (24x36mm) camera is not ready yet, so, if a new M is to be presented, it has to be a revised M8. This would allow the M8 to be in the market for one additional year or more (it can be in the catalogue when the M9 arrives, as a cheaper model for M entusiasts).

Edited by rosuna

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm voting with adan there. Identical body dimensions and layout (WxHxL) to the M8 except only for that step down on the new top plate.

If 24x36 is correct, then I think the finder will look just like the M7 for frame sets amd .72 magnification

Sorry, photo-interpreters - those top views are indentical to my M8 in terms of part placement and relative dimensions: location of the shutter index mark, angle at the back of the hot shoe (accentuated by video blur in the left-hand snap), proportions of the hot shoe depth to the total body depth.

None of which is surprising, since there are min. and max. depths the body can be and still hold an LCD back-to-back with a sensor, and also allow infinity focus with M lenses.

The only real differences are the missing circular LCD for exposure counting, the step at the "rewind" end, and the shutter dial engravings.

Not neccesarily - bodyshells for almost all Leicas, including the M8, are made in Portugal, the shutters in Japan,etc. The camera will be marked Germany if the camera is put in its box there, however.

That's not very fair to Leica, Jaap!

The origins of body chassis, sensor, shutter are no secret. For the M8, assembly including adding the vital viewfinder, the calibration, testing and adjustment is certainly taking place in Solms as we have seen. Made in Germany is perfectly legitimate.

The Portugal factory is in any event a Leica facility, not a sub-contractor or separate organisation.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You all wrote 17 pages with nothing valuable. Get your M8 and make some nice pictures!!!

fransd, presumably you read all 17 pages to make your judgement then you posted too!

Can you show us some nice pictures then? Or perhaps contribute something to discussions?

If Leica don't come up with a proper M9 (which means full frame) on 09/09/09, all their teasing would be suicidal for their business.

No, it wouldn't. The difference would be more sales of an M8.3 style camera to existing M8 and M8.2 users.

But a full frame M9 would mean an explosion in sales and a new M6-like boom. Loads of photographers want a full-frame M and haven't bothered buying the M8 or M8.2. But they will buy a M9.

I believe in an M9 fullframe.

But what is interesting is that the M8 is going down in second-hand prices which means that in itself will be an intro-market for new M users. The M8 will hit 1,000 Euro soon no matter what new camera comes along.

But a full frame M9 would mean an explosion in sales and a new M6-like boom. Loads of photographers want a full-frame M and haven't bothered buying the M8 or M8.2. But they will buy a M9.

I absolutely agree with this, Thorsten. I am one of those, and, should I find 5,500 Euro down the back of the sofa on Wednesday next week, I will buy an M9 on Thursday.

People are quite wrong to assume there's an M9, badged as an M8, with a massive new viewfinder window on the front.

Clearly this is a squeezed image, a result of the editing process. As I wrote earlier:

As to the frame at 00:00:36, referenced above, I have a feeling the video editor has taken a crop for a close up and resized it: the M8 looks squashed, side to side, rather than tall. Look at the "M", it's more narrow than the squat typeface Leica uses for the M.

I don't think that is a massive new rangefinder window on an M9.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

I've been using an M6 for a while and a few times have been tempted by the M8, I think an M9 if it's all it's touted to be will get me to sell a lot of things to pay for it. As a landscape shooter, wide angles are most important to me and thus so is full frame.

I have a painful vision of Leica being blamed for not releasing something they never said they'd release.

Don't even say it.

They would have stopped the rumors earlier then. Sale of M8.2 must have been dead for two months now.

The M8.2 has been on 20-25% discount for 4-5 weeks now in Denmark and it's not moving anywhere from the inventory lists I can look at.

I absolutely agree with this, Thorsten. I am one of those, and, should I find 5,500 Euro down the back of the sofa on Wednesday next week, I will buy an M9 on Thursday.

It's like a new beginning. I think many of us will be surprised to see what's behind that sofa. I know my dilemma is how to get it before the weekend Sept 12-13 :-)