**M9 - 30+ mpix**

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is this rumour correct?

Isn't there a physical limit of maximum mpix due to angle of incidence in the corners that isn't there for DSLR's? info: maximum pixel density because the pixel are usually lying deeper in the surface. you can compare this with a deep narrow valley that doesn't get light outside of the time slot 11:00 to 14:00.

Otherwise 30+ mpix would be very good. The camera could last 2 years longer in the bags.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this rumour correct?

Isn't there a physical limit of maximum mpix due to angle of incidence in the corners that isn't there for DSLR's? info: maximum pixel density because the pixel are usually lying deeper in the surface. you can compare this with a deep narrow valley that doesn't get light outside of the time slot 11:00 to 14:00.

Otherwise 30+ mpix would be very good. The camera could last 2 years longer in the bags.

I'm betting and hoping for closer to 20, honestly. 30+ would be a nightmare for processing in camera, and I want the M9 to be faster (a lot in terms of buffer and processing) than the M8.

I think what most of us want is much improved high ISO performance and you would not get that with 30MP. The S2 has a slightly lower pixel density than 30MP/35mm would have and it only goes to ISO 1250. Instead of that many pixels and all the file handling issues which go with them, I'd like the M9 to be largely noise free at, say, ISO 5000.

My money is on 18MP.

I'm betting and hoping for closer to 20, honestly. 30+ would be a nightmare for processing in camera, and I want the M9 to be faster (a lot in terms of buffer and processing) than the M8.

Aye, faster shooting. Definitely.

30mp is OK only if they can bin to a smaller RAW file and still give a faster fps and processing. Doubt that will happen though.

I'm still having a hard time to catch up with the forum.

In January this year, Dr. Kaufmann said that full frame is a marketing trick and nobody should fall for it, in this June a good number of forum members heard straight from Stefan Daniel that they've made a step forward but not quite there yet.

On 9/9/9, we can already buy it???

This is an odd one which I'll believe only when I see it.

Guest guy_mancuso
No , it comes out at 24MP. If it used the 6.8 micron sensor, that would be 18.7MP.

Bet for sure they are using the S2 sensor. It only makes financial sense to buy the same sensor and cut it for two different formats. Than add the functional parts for each format like micro lenses which maybe at different angles.

If there is a M9 than my bet even though it may not make sense in other ways it is 24mpx or it is not truly full 35mm film framing but has a slight crop to it.

If there is a M9 than my bet even though it may not make sense in other ways it is 24mpx or it is not truly full 35mm film framing but has a slight crop to it.

I think you'll lose the bet. The M9 with an 18MP full frame sensor (and available in September) is pretty much public knowledge now. I'd be astonished if any of this tuns out to be wrong.

I agree with you in general, Guy ... my money is on a S2 sensor cutting down to the same cropping factor as M8 and same or similar electronics as the S2. 13.5Mp ... that's it.

Euro 5500 for 18.7MP full frame from Leica? I really doubt it ... unless it's a rebadged Panasonic.

I'd love to eat my humble pie then you could split my 2 cents. :D

Bet for sure they are using the S2 sensor. It only makes financial sense to buy the same sensor and cut it for two different formats.

Break out those sensor scissors! :) As far as I know, Leica specifies the sensors they want, and work with Kodak to get them, and I would be very surprised if Leica has specified a 24MP or 30MP sensor for the M9. Way overkill for the application.

They could be using exactly the same sensor as the S2 and masking out the unused portion. It seems a dreadful waste, but it could provide an economy of scale cost saving.

Better, they could use sensors that had bad pixels inside the S2 image area but outside the M9 image area, thus getting them for almost nothing.

(Yes, this is oversimplifying. I have no idea what proportion of sensors are rejected that way or whether the M9 - if it exists - has space for a 45x30mm sensor. But it's an attractive thought.)

Maybe we need a head of R&D thread as well as an armchair CEO thread, or they might be merged to confine the plague:D

Anyway if I was responsible for Leica (sic..) I would design a FF M9 with about 10.5 megapixels (or make it less 8 Mpix). Enough is enough and I prefer less noise and higher DR over more pixels any day. If someone wants to go over the top in enlargement then they can rent (or buy) a S2 or phaseone or hassy or whatever. Pixels are boring and Leica should tell the world at large that this is the case.

Photography is not about maximum resolution & using a magnifying glass to check if there isn't a pixel out of whack. It is about capturing light.