:-)

Edited by Tulpenwahn

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's the "official global launch" of the S2, the first stop of its North American (or global) road show is scheduled in Toronto on 11/09. I've registered myself for the event, not sure if I can make it or they'll have a camera to let everyone to play with though.

You guys looking at the M9 probably will get disappointed ... hope not. :)

I'd say it cannot be ONLY the S2 official launch... they speak of "UNVEILING NEXT GENERATION..." and the term should be exaggerate for a camera that has been officialy announced months ago, so as for some new Lumix which by logic would already exist as a Panasonic model: indeed the term could also implicate "forward looking" products, not yet available... but if this would be related to a "M9" this would mean to stop at all M8.2 sales (which could have a sense only if they don't care of, being completely saturated by S2 manufacturing... uneven, I think); in conclusion, I think :

a) M9 announcement (and "next generation" implies something new about the sensor) and/or

B) Something outside-lateral to traditional M line ("digital CL" ?)

P.S. : I wonder how LUF Server infrastructure will stand up on 9-9 ... :p

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Listening carefully, there will be "new products" (plural) for "professional and amateur". Clearly, the 9/9 announcement will not be limited to the S2. This does not answer the M9 question of course, but only whets the appetite for 9/9 (when, unfortunately, I will be traveling). 8-(

Probably, Ian ... but the S2 launch is more significant, no?

The M9 is MUCH more significant than the S2

This will be the news that the Tweet this morning was about

Edited by andybarton

Listening carefully, there will be "new products" (plural) for "professional and amateur". Clearly, the 9/9 announcement will not be limited to the S2. This does not answer the M9 question of course, but only whets the appetite for 9/9 (when, unfortunately, I will be traveling). 8-(

If you're going to parse words, "new products" really could mean S2 camera and lenses, not necessarily something beyond that under the banner of "professional". I hope not, but just saying products plural does not in itself mean S2 +

If you're going to parse words, "new products" really could mean S2 camera and lenses, not necessarily something beyond that under the banner of "professional". I hope not, but just saying products plural does not in itself mean S2 +

"from beginner to professional". The S2 is hardly a beginner's camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi bertolotti viewpost.gif

P.S. : I wonder how LUF Server infrastructure will stand up on 9-9 ... :p

They were just upgraded...

You'r not thinking of the servers for this forum?

I agree with sdai. For me it sounds like the M9 could be a bubble that blasts on 9/9/9 for the time being.

Regards

Steve

If you mean that on 9/9 you think the M9 will prove not to be real, I'm not sure I follow the logic. The announcement clearly talks about the next generation of Leica CAMERAS -- plural. If it were just the S2, I doubt they'd leave that pregnant plural.

Now, whether the M9 is available for shipping that day, or shortly thereafter, is a different issue.

But I don't think it's wishful thinking, or us all working ourselves into a lather, to interpret this announcement as making the M9 "official." It's only a question of when it's available, not if. (As a marketing matter, it would be a disaster for them not to have burst the bubble by now. If they burst it on 9/9/09, it would be marketing malpractice.) JB

Probably, Ian ... but the S2 launch is more significant, no?

My dealer was actually not in Canada, when I asked him about the M9, he told me Leica will launch a special edition MP set exclusively for China market instead ... Gold. :)

...with tiger's tendons for the shutter springs...

...with tiger's tendons for the shutter springs...

No, it's serious ... it's a commemorative model to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the People's Republic of China.

You know ... 9 is an auspicious number in China. Also if you turn 9/9/9 upside down, 666 means everything goes smoothly and all good luck in northern China.

Probably not as many as you'd expect if it is not full frame, even less if it is full frame. :)

So what if the 'M9' is the same sized sensor as now but with tweeks, improvements in say noise and an effective dust removal system?

Folks, if you haven't seen the video:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/96795-m9-spotted-leica-youtube-video.html

you'd better look at it first before inserting toes in teeth. Clear images of a non-M8 M digital pop up there as part of the 9/9/09 promo.

One thing about the Internet - you can end up woefully uninformed if you don't check every thread every day, as well as other sites like dpreview and luminous landscape. Preferably before you have your morning coffee - certainly before you post opinions.

Leica to unveil new products on 9.9.09: Digital Photography Review

The Luminous Landscape