September 9th Draws Near...

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread is mostly for those who make less than a six figure salary (U.S.) and don't depend on their cameras for a living (like myself). I don't know what percentage of this forum we represent but I am sure we are a significant number. I've been having fantasies about a FF M camera. I must confess I'd like to own one, but...

In order to do that I would have to sell my M8 which I was planning to do on Ebay but then I got to thinking, I paid full price for this M8, if I sell it now, it would have cost me about $2200.00 for the time that I owned it, and pooof, that's gone. Things become obsolete it seems in the digital world way too fast. I've decided to hold on to it, a camera like this should remain viable for at least 4 years. So my new strategy will be to hunker down. I'll probably wait for the M9 to hit the used markets (when the M10 is introduced in 3 years) and buy one used in minty condition (if it is all that it should be). In the meantime, I am enjoying a new Canon 5D Mark II full frame 21 megapixel DSLR. I sold my old 5D to puchase that camera but because of the much lower price in comparison to Leica, it didn't break me.

Here are some pictures of my M8 getting ready for sale on Ebay. Now I will look at these and rejoice in the fact that it's mine and paid for. Sigh of relief :-) and I'm keeping it. Besides, I love what I get with it, it produces incredible image quality!

I guess my point here is to encourage those who like myself don't have the big bucks, to remain in touch with the value of what the M8 produces if they are blessed to own one, and resist the temptation to get into choking debt. or blow needed funds in a poor economy. For those who don't own an M8 and don't make a six figure salary - or at least a very good living from photography - the time for purchasing an M8 at a realistic price in the used market is drawing near :-) Rejoice, the introduction of the M9 may be a blessing in disguise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cor - you do look after your kit well! Wish mine looked as pristine... or maybe I don't ... :o

I saw the white paint stains on yours. I hope you got most of that off :-) I keep my camera in a Luigi half case and since I only shoot for pleasure, it doesn't get a beating.

Wilfredo,

I can very well follow your approach but cannot understand this:

.. In the meantime, I am enjoying a new Canon 5D Mark II full frame 21 megapixel DSLR. I sold my old 5D to puchase that camera but because of the much lower price in comparison to Leica, it didn't break me.

I would had saved the money.

Regards

Steve

Wilfredo,

I can very well follow your approach but cannot understand this:

I would had saved the money.

Regards

Steve

This is not too complicated, the cost of a Canon 5D Mark II is less than half the price of what the new M9 will cost. After selling my 5D the new camera only cost me $1500.00. The improvements are notable on the new version. I am far more excited about this latest incarnation of the 5D than I was ever about the original 5D.

Edited by wilfredo

This is not too complicated, the cost of a Canon 5D Mark II is less than half the price of what the new M9 will cost. After selling my 5D the new camera only cost me $1500.00. The improvements are notable on the new version. I am far more excited about this latest incarnation of the 5D than I was ever about the original 5D.

I agree with Wilfredo on the 5D mkII. In any event, "save your money" doesn't work logically unless one can use a M digital for everything. For me, that's not the case. Long lenses, macros, good flash, autofocus for action are all extremely useful for some purposes and less than ideal on an M. Please don't misunderstand. The Leica is still my favorite for lots of reasons, and I will seriously consider an M9 (if it provides FF and the kind of IQ we have come to expect). But I would not sell my 5DMkII to get an M9. Now, if anyone is interested in a Nikon F3 . . . .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You bring up some good points.

The M8 is still a very capable camera. It can take very high quality photographs now, and that won't change on 9 Sept 2009. I've said it before--if I didn't shoot professionally, I would have little interest in the M9. In fact I'd probably be shooting film, but that's another issue.

The point is that the M8 can make great photographs within its limitations, and some have pushed those limitations quite far.

I'm sure the M9 will be an amazing camera, and as a pro I do intend to switch. But the simple fact is that for most photographers the M8 is more than good enough, and that won't change even when newer technology comes along.

The music swells to a crescendo, the camera moves in to our M9 purchaser who is looking down at the new purchase. Slowly he lifts his head to look into the camera...will it be a smile or a tear of sorrow? Stay tuned for 09/09/2009 boys and girls.:eek:

Actually, the economics are simple - I don't have the 8K for an M9 and my M8 does just fine. Unless you are going to print really large the M9 will be a waste for most. But, that doesn't mean I don't want one :D

If the bread suddenly showed up in my bank account I'd go whole hog and get an S2.

I was looking at some of my framed prints shot with the M8 yesterday and thinking "these are really good,

I love what I see." The M8 has been the most satisfying camera I have ever owned regardless of its limitations. My new 5D Mark II has taken me into the world of larger file sizes and I have to admit, that is very exciting, but there is a particular stamp the M8 has, especially in people shots, that still gives me a rush. I can come very close to it using the Canon and some post processing, but the M8 still remains my favorite when it comes to evironmental people shoots. I suspect the new M9 CCD censor will be similar, and I hope it retains the M8 signature stamp but we won't know that until it hits the markets.

Wilfredo, mi amigo,

Getting the M9 won't be reasonable... think of all people comming to your Church you could help... All the social work you could do with that money... Think of the nurses of St Joseph Hospital...

(Just a friend helping you to avoid temptatiom...) :D :D :D

Wilfredo, mi amigo,

Getting the M9 won't be reasonable... think of all people comming to your Church you could help... All the social work you could do with that money... Think of the nurses of St Joseph Hospital...

(Just a friend helping you to avoid temptatiom...) :D :D :D

ArtZ,

The M8 is staying!!!! I've played with the temptation of selling, but I can't bring myself to doing that. The new 5D II is providing plenty of excitement so I'm good to go for a good while. I'm glad to hear from our conversations that you will be keeping your M8's.

ArtZ,

The M8 is staying!!!! I've played with the temptation of selling, but I can't bring myself to doing that. The new 5D II is providing plenty of excitement so I'm good to go for a good while. I'm glad to hear from our conversations that you will be keeping your M8's.

Una sabia decisión... aunque tenga un "CENSOR" 33% más pequeño ;-) (Private joke)

Mañana te envio alguna foto.

Una sabia decisión... aunque tenga un "CENSOR" 33% más pequeño ;-) (Private joke)

Mañana te envio alguna foto.

Even if it has a smaller censor when used well, it will out-perform a big one. LOL, CALIDAD hermano!