September 9th Draws Near...

wilfredo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are launching not one but three versions of the M9, hence the 09 09 09.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they launch three cameras, the S2, the M9 and a rebaded Japanese camera to be delivered with an converter for R-lenses

Some of us remain committed to keeping our M8's even with all this new buzz.

Indeed! :D (I'm keeping my two M8s too!)

I find really amusing to read now from some members who didn't see (at all) any problem with the M8 (cropped sensor on the M8 was no problem... it was even an advantage because we could use the best of our lenses; ISO sensibility and noise was also perfect because that gave the "film look" and it's better to have some grain than plastic images (a la Canon); etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...) and now they see the M8 as a "downgrade"!

Oh, là, là... What they workshipped yesterday it's rubbish today! :confused:

Edited by ArtZ
Grammar correction

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think anyone is saying that the M8 is a downgrade. It is, and will remain, a superb camera.

It does seem like Leica have addressed the customer base's demands for improvements across the board to make a great camera hopefully even better.

The only issue that I personally have had with the M8 has really been with some unpleasant side effects caused by reflections off the UV/IR filter. The lens selections required some different focal lengths but that hasn't been an insurmountable problem.

Anyway, we all know that the last version of anything bears all the blame for anything people didn't like. Kind of like human nature when people leave the company - it's always their fault for anything bad going forwards :D (whether true or not!)

Here is something relevant to this discussion I posted on this thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/97001-price-dicipline-m8-3.html

We truly live in an insane world where things become obsolete just because. As some of you know, I'm holding on to my M8. The M8 has afforded me great satisfaction. 10 years ago I would have never imagined making images with a digital camera, let alone images like the ones I get from the Leica M8. I've never been more satisfied. The life cycle of this camera unfortunately is being overlooked just because the furious cycle of the market dictates that it should be so, and all the duckies are jumping in the lake. Why?????

I think it's time for me to step away from this section of the forum, the frenzy is reaching a crescendo that blinds our senses, not a good thing for a photographer. It's been great fun to speculate on the next incarnation of the M, but negating the relevance of the M8 is simply another sign of a consumer mentality that has gone insane.

Wilfredo,

so true, so true. The M8 was and is and will be a great camera. But don't forget there are others like myself, who have so far not jumped onto the digital train, for various reasons. I am really excited about the M9 (if it is FF), this could very well become my first digital Leica. I stayed away from the M8 due to its crop sensor, since more than 30 years I am 'seeing' potential shots in field of views related to certain lenses, i.e. their focal length, and I was very reluctant if not unwilling to readjust this due to the crop sensor. I knew they would eventually bring out a FF camera, and it seems we're only days from that point! In my view, that IS a reason to get excited, isn't it?

Cheers,

Andy