wilfredo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wilfredo,

In your place I will keep this M8 and I will not buy M9. I will not buy either Canon.

M8 has advantage to be discreet and lens comes from Leica and is of quality

Too late. I bought the Canon but I'm certainly keeping the M8 ;-) That was the whole purpose of this thread, to make it clear that I'm keeping the M8, and to support others who want to do the same, especially those who don't have deep pockets. I was tempted to sell, but in the end decided against it. THE M8 REMAINS ALIVE.

Edited by wilfredo

Too late. I bought the Canon but I'm certainly keeping the M8 ;-) That was the whole purpose of this thread, to make it clear that I'm keeping the M8, and to support others who want to do the same, especially those who don't have deep pockets. I was tempted to sell, but in the end decided against it. THE M8 REMAINS ALIVE.

It is a wise decision Wilfredo

.... in the silence of the graveyard of Father Lachaise in Paris, a photo of an angel coming from the sky....for you

M8 Lux 35mm (august 2009)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This thread is mostly for those who make less than a six figure salary (U.S.) and don't depend on their cameras for a living (like myself). I don't know what percentage of this forum we represent but I am sure we are a significant number. I've been having fantasies about a FF M camera. I must confess I'd like to own one, but...

In order to do that I would have to sell my M8 which I was planning to do on Ebay but then I got to thinking, I paid full price for this M8, if I sell it now, it would have cost me about $2200.00 for the time that I owned it, and pooof, that's gone. Things become obsolete it seems in the digital world way too fast. I've decided to hold on to it, a camera like this should remain viable for at least 4 years. So my new strategy will be to hunker down. I'll probably wait for the M9 to hit the used markets (when the M10 is introduced in 3 years) and buy one used in minty condition (if it is all that it should be). In the meantime, I am enjoying a new Canon 5D Mark II full frame 21 megapixel DSLR. I sold my old 5D to puchase that camera but because of the much lower price in comparison to Leica, it didn't break me.

Here are some pictures of my M8 getting ready for sale on Ebay. Now I will look at these and rejoice in the fact that it's mine and paid for. Sigh of relief :-) and I'm keeping it. Besides, I love what I get with it, it produces incredible image quality!

I guess my point here is to encourage those who like myself don't have the big bucks, to remain in touch with the value of what the M8 produces if they are blessed to own one, and resist the temptation to get into choking debt. or blow needed funds in a poor economy. For those who don't own an M8 and don't make a six figure salary - or at least a very good living from photography - the time for purchasing an M8 at a realistic price in the used market is drawing near :-) Rejoice, the introduction of the M9 may be a blessing in disguise.

Wilfredo, what a sensible attitude! I have always believed that if a camera continues to give me the performance for which I bought it, why sell it? I still have my Digilux 2 and still use it within its limitations for very useful and appropriate jobs. The M8 provides the solution for a different range of work and is more than adequate for my needs. Of course I would like the latest gear once proven, but I retain a very conservative approach to re-equipping myself. I guess you and I are not alone.

It is a wise decision Wilfredo

.... in the silence of the graveyard of Father Lachaise in Paris, a photo of an angel coming from the sky....for you

M8 Lux 35mm (august 2009)

Henri,

Wilfredo a fallu prendre l'avion aujourd'hui pour être à Paris demain... Maintenant si tu commences à poster des photos au Père Lachaise, il va être très jaloux... ;)

:D :D :D

Your M8 is in beautiful condition, Wilfredo, and if it were mine I think I'd keep it for a longer time before selling. I'm awaiting the M9 announcement, and it is tempting for sure, and if it is not too expensive I may very well buy one. But if it is more than I want to pay I think I'll go with an M8 to keep my MP company.

Wilfredo,

I actually listed my black M8 on eBay several weeks ago and then decided to cancel all of the bids and end the listing. And I was happy and relieved when I did it. I bought it new earlier this year and it bothered me that I would be losing so much money. Even if I were to sell the M8, I cannot afford an M9.

Now I am looking forward to the GF1 as a more pocketable alternative to the M8.

As long as my M8 keeps working it will take outstanding images. I have to keep remembering that rather than always trying to purchase the latest and greatest digicams. It's tough though because technology keeps advancing.

My first post here :)

Frank

I continue to feel good about my decision not to sell and glad to see others are holding on to their M8's. It just doesn't make any financial sense to sell a perfectly functional camera that's not even 3 years old and still be over $4000.00 short in cash for a new M9.

I suspect the M9 will be a hit, at least I'm hoping it will be. In about two years I think I will be able to purchase one (a used minty one will do me fine) and by then I will have at least gotten my moneys worth out of my current M8.

Cheers!

BTW I have no idea what Artz has written in French, but I know he's a joker so I'm not worried :-)

Wilfredo,

I actually listed my black M8 on eBay several weeks ago and then decided to cancel all of the bids and end the listing. And I was happy and relieved when I did it. I bought it new earlier this year and it bothered me that I would be losing so much money. Even if I were to sell the M8, I cannot afford an M9.

Now I am looking forward to the GF1 as a more pocketable alternative to the M8.

As long as my M8 keeps working it will take outstanding images. I have to keep remembering that rather than always trying to purchase the latest and greatest digicams. It's tough though because technology keeps advancing.

My first post here :)

Frank

I hear you!

A FF M9 would actually fulfill my photographic needs for 90% or so.

I do not need a fast AF and I need highest quality for landscape. So a M9 without any AA filter and the famous M glass must be the real killer!

It is good to be able to hope ;)

BTW I have no idea what Artz has written in French, but I know he's a joker so I'm not worried :-)

"Henri,

Wilfredo a fallu prendre l'avion aujourd'hui pour être à Paris demain... Maintenant si tu commences à poster des photos au Père Lachaise, il va être très jaloux... "

Wilfredo, I just said to Henri you failed to take a plane for Paris yesterday to arrive here today... So if he (Henri) posts here pictures taken at Pere Lachaise, you'll be very jealous... :p:D

Wilfredo, we had a very nice day. The weather was beautiful, he have laughed a LOT and we have taken nice pictures... I'll email you some of them

"Henri,

Wilfredo a fallu prendre l'avion aujourd'hui pour être à Paris demain... Maintenant si tu commences à poster des photos au Père Lachaise, il va être très jaloux... "

Wilfredo, I just said to Henri you failed to take a plane for Paris yesterday to arrive here today... So if he (Henri) posts here pictures taken at Pere Lachaise, you'll be very jealous... :p:D

Wilfredo, we had a very nice day. The weather was beautiful, he have laughed a LOT and we have taken nice pictures... I'll email you some of them

That would have been great fun. I'd like to do that some time, just head out to Paris for a few days from Southern California and shoot some pictures in the land of HCB - with other Leica fans, but as you know, my weekends are very busy. LOL Yes, I am jealous!

Wilfredo,

.....Artz goes very well he "breaks fire" (french expression to say that he goes very well)

We would like to see you with us today in the graveyard of Father Lachaise in Paris because we took many photos this afternoon ...may be next time :)

Regards

Henry

That would have been great fun. I'd like to do that some time, just head out to Paris for a few days from Southern California and shoot some pictures in the land of HCB - with other Leica fans, but as you know, my weekends are very busy. LOL Yes, I am jealous!

Si, Padre...

Yes, Father...

:D :D :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ArtZ