So, it's Goodnight from Him...

marknorton

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The light moderation is something which I sometimes regret recently, as the noise here has increased a lot in recent times, but in the light of this light moderation, it is even more incomprehensible how someone who has contributed as much as Mark could have merited a response of this nature, especially with the words chosen. Given 5 minutes, I could come up with a dozen people who deserve it more.

+1

keyword: incomprehensible

Incomprehensible. If that's the approach of the moderators of this forum, then we should all say goodbye in solidarity.

Don't be so dramatic. Do not judge all by the actions of one.

This forum is moderated - a thankless task - by volunteers who do it in their spare time. FWIW I think they do a tremendous job of navigating linguistic hoops and cultural differences alike to give a free and open environment in which we can listen, learn, debate and relax.

There are times when I would like more firm action against some of the server-thieves that crop up here occasionally, but I would NOT want it to be at the expense of the quite unique culture here - a culture for which the moderators deserve credit.

Regards,

Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's going on, guys? :confused:

No need to explain it in very clear words to someone, who is not a native English speaker like me, nor to the French (what was that about? :( ). I don't follow other sub-forums here other than the M8, because everything including lenses is adressed in this subforum, and my M6s I can manage by now. Also this forum is not read post by post by most people.

I would suggest that everybody returns to his seat and those in expectation of appologies and maybe also the admin, who did a great job with the new server, take a good nap in the back raw of the bus, which rides on with the complete team. Let's all call it a day and see each other tomorrow, as if nothing happened! :)

It's close to midnight CET, that's all I understand and can agree to this in the title.

Mark Norton's contributions? Unvaluable.

See you!

We love you admin, we love you marknorton.

("short leash"?? Who would talk like that face to face? Don't care what marknorton said before and who said what before that. Post-ons are not very high tech, but one saying:

easy!

?!?!?

I hope that this is a case of mistaken identity and hope that it gets sorted out quickly. Mark is one of the best contributors to this forum and I enjoy his contributions. It is heartening to see all the support that fellow members give to one of us that is unjustly targeted.

Edited by harlock999

I hope that this is a case of mistaken identity and hope that it gets sorted out quickly. Mark is one of the best contributors to this forum and I enjoys his contributions. It is heartening to see all the support that fellow members give to one of us that is unjustly targeted.

I am hoping that it has been sorted already

Maybe the Moderator in question should reveal him/herself and come clean? I'm not sure who all the Moderators are on this forum, let alone how they got to be in that position.

I moderate in "another place" and know what a thankless task it can be at times.

Like the rest of us Moderators can have a bad day and sometimes my react in anger/intoxication; goodness knows I've had more final warnings and infractions than most hereabouts but, in all sincerity, this is the best place that I visit on the inter-web.

I don't know what Mark did, or did not, say and to be Frank(;)) I can't be arsed looking; I do know that he has contributed a great deal to the forum in the years that I have been here and without him it would be a lesser place.

Going back to the second sentence in my first paragraph, I really would be interested to have an answer.

What a ridiculous turn of events - a gross injustice has been perpetrated here. Leaves me feeling very ambivalent about further participation in the forum until matters are remedied to the injured party's satisfaction...assuming that's possible. What an undeserved kick in the teeth for Mark, indisputably one of the Leica community's most valuable friends.

Steve

I have tried my very best, in public and in private, this evening to ensure that Mark remains a member of the forum.

The rest is up to him, to accept, or not as the case may be, the apology that I know has been sent to him.

The moderators on the Forum are, in alphabetical order:-

• abrewer
  • andybarton
  • erl
  • jc_braconi
  • philipotto
  • Rona|d
  • starwatcher
  • stuny

We are volunteers, with proper jobs that pay the mortgage, and cannot be on the Forum 24/7. We do respond to PMs. We do get emails when someone reports a dodgy post.

We are human.

I'm not sure who all the Moderators are on this forum, let alone how they got to be in that position.

I moderate in "another place" and know what a thankless task it can be at times.

They volunteered in the dim and distant past, and yes it's a thankful task, and yes they are human and make mistakes.

No one was banned.

Reading back further I see what the issue is. Thanks Steve.

That being said, Mark's response while terse was not severe, nor was it as vicious as some that I have read posted here. Especially recently in the S2 forum.

They volunteered in the dim and distant past, and yes it's a thankful task, and yes they are human and make mistakes.

We were asked whether we would be Moderators, by Andreas. None of us, to my knowledge, volunteered for the position, but accepted it because we enjoy the forum and what it has given us, and enjoy being able to help in its running.

If we get things wrong, which we do, we try to make amends.

Mods have had a bashing, deservedly so, this evening. I would like to draw this thread to a close, as I hope to have done enough now to have righted the wrong.

Edited by andybarton

Guest guy_mancuso
I have just sent PMs to both Mark, Andreas and the Moderator that sent the PM to which Mark refers above.

I would hope that the PMs remain just that, but suffice to say that, IMHO, Mark's contribution to this forum has been absolutely second to none. He has been generous of his time, his knowledge and, let's face it, his cameras :), and I trust that he has the good grace put this down to someone having a bad day.

Moderation isn't easy, everyone is human, and we all make mistakes. I know that I have bad days as a Moderator (and you know it too ;) ). I sincerely believe that a mistake was made in that PM to Mark today, and I hope that he can move on in that knowledge.

Thanks

Amen to that as a owner , admin and mod myself sometimes shit happens. Time to move on folks.