Processing mistake?

wide.angle

Scott:

Steve and the rest that suggested refixing are probably correct. It does not hurt to refix a film, as long as you don't leave the film in the fixer for hours, which will bleach off even the image. You have to rewash after refixing.

Kodak had a couple different fixers. The three minute fix time would be in fresh Kodak Rapid fixer and may need a bit more agitation than you used to do it in three minutes. The regular fixer, whether Kodak or other brands is typically in a powder form and has a five to seven minute fixing time. The Rapix fixer is a liquid form with two parts, the fixer in a bottle of less than a litre and then a small bottle of acid for hardener. You follow the directions to make it up to a gallon or something around there.

Another note on fixing, take the piece of leader you clipped off, put it in some fixer and time how long it takes for the film to go clear. The proper fixing time for that batch of fixer will be twice the time it takes the leader to go clear.

Here is the Kodak sheet on Tri-X. If you look under fixing, you will see it says 2-4min with "frequent agitation". Your under fixing was probably a result of insufficient aggitation.

KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X Films

Sorry, I was away for a few days, after seeing some people talking of the neg being "murky" and that the base is supposed to look "middle gray", I think I don't have a problem afterall. The base isn't murky on mine, but I was really surprised at how gray it was (whatever film I used 15 yrs ago was much clearer), and that is why I thought I had a problem. I will take the film to a lab and have some printed to check them out (I wanted to scan a few to check them out but I think my scanner succumed to its fate by my 2 yr old son.

And in the future I'll keep all your comments in mind.

Hope I have a few decent images on these rolls to share with you all when they are printed.

Thanks again very much for all your ideas and comments!