I ordered the M9 today...

Saloti

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your full-frame camera is high enough resolution, you can also just crop and get the same results as a cropped camera. And of course you have the option of cropping to square, or a wide panoramic-type format, or 4:3, etc.

There's no substitute for film/sensor size when it comes to image quality. It was true with film and is still true.

If you don't believe me try shooting medium or large format with a relatively cheap lens.

The possibility of a full-frame digital M is exciting because the M8, with a crop sensor, already has outstanding image quality. With a larger sensor, assuming the engineers have come up with a good solution to the problem of the short backfocus distance of the M system, the quality should improve quite a bit.

When I was working for a newspaper and I switched from a Canon 1dMKII to a 5D, the difference in quality was very noticeable.

This is why the micro 4/3rds system doesn't really interest me, even for a backup system.

This is why the micro 4/3rds system doesn't really interest me, even for a backup system.

Couldn't agree more - my go anywhere, shove it in your coat pocket camera is an M with a 35 summicron... Why spend money on something less competent when you have one of these to hand... :cool:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I feel like it's time for me to totally commit to digital and sell off some unused film cameras OR go back to shooting more film. I love film, the texture and feeling of the images and the process of working in the darkroom.

noah, grate portafolio. Why not shoot both film & digital M's? I am not a pro but I shoot a lot and I see your point about the cost of film etc... but what I now am sure of is that I will have both an M5 & an M8-9? and just not shoot as many pictures with the m5 as with the digital; the M8 has made me improve since I can practice a lot and see the results very fast.

Edited by manolo

Agreed - in fact I'd be seriously disappointed if Leica kept S mode on the shutter speed dial. B, yes, A yes - these are both related functions - S is nothing other than an nuisance.

Have to say to that I'd much rather have a positive stop at B (as with the original M6) so that you can then count clicks up to whatever you want to use. With the stopless shutter dial, I have no point of departure to refer to, and in the dark it can be a pig knowing what speed your shooting at in Manual - I often have to revert to shooting at random and checking the speed in preview so that I can then click to where I want to be. NOT sensible.

It may not be that practical, but the appearance of the shutterspeed in A is the reference stop to me.

It may not be that practical, but the appearance of the shutterspeed in A is the reference stop to me.

Good point Jaap - I've sort of been doing that, but it's not as comforting as the stop and clicking up with the camera away from your eye - though the extra speeds have added to the problems..

Heigh ho - nothing's perfect!

No names, no pack drill, but if you're planning to be in London soon after 9 September...........All should become clear on the 8th.

You're organizing a mass M9 heist at the Richard Caplan shop? Great idea. Nicoleica could provide the stocking masks and I could drive the getaway vehicle. Need to keep it hush, hush though... :cool:

My Leica dealer reminded me today the 9/9 evening event. He even suggested me to bring my 50mm F0.95 or may be the 28mm to try the 'NEW' camera. He also hints that I can probably purchase one and bring it home the same night.

DL

That confirms what my dealer told me only indirectly: M9 will be sold immediately

after September 9

You're organizing a mass M9 heist at the Richard Caplan shop? Great idea. Nicoleica could provide the stocking masks and I could drive the getaway vehicle. Need to keep it hush, hush though... :cool:

You seem to have some inside knowledge of Nicole's taste in undergarments.......I couldn't possibly comment:cool: I don't know RC or his shop though....

Edited by stevelap

You seem to have some inside knowledge of Nicole's taste in undergarments.......I couldn't possibly comment:cool: I don't know RC or his shop though....

I think that my stockings may prove to be a bit sheer for much of a disguise, but I will be driving very close to the Leica factory a couple of times next week. Should I acquire a trailer for you to load the cameras into? (The Bitchmobile won't hold very many otherwise.) :)

I think that my stockings may prove to be a bit sheer for much of a disguise, but I will be driving very close to the Leica factory a couple of times next week. Should I acquire a trailer for you to load the cameras into? (The Bitchmobile won't hold very many otherwise.) :)

Lol, don't feed my fantasies Nicole:). Any M9 (or whatever camera may or may not be available to order, shortly after an event which may or may not be held on 9 September, or any other day;)) that I sign up for in London will be legally and officially sourced.......

Edited by stevelap