I ordered the M9 today...

Saloti

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saloti

Congratulations on you order for the M9!

Well, I guess this is more proof of what is coming. From what country did you order? What did the dealer tell you ordered the camera (what information he has from Leica and his expectations regarding the camera - will it be the digital solution we have all been waiting for) ? I am most interested, but will not be able to afford one until sometime next year.

What are your expectations regarding this new camera and how it relates to your experience with the M8 (assuming you own an M8, you may not).

You do not have to tell us the price you are paying, but I am curious.

I ordered at a German official dealer, under the condition that the M9 will have FF sensor,

will cost around 5.500 € and will be shipable immediately after 9th of September

or some weeks later.

The dealer accepted the order and will give more details after 9th of September

(exact price & exact shipping date, he did at least not exclude shipment immediately after

9th of September).

With regard to the chap who wants to buy a Leica in New York the 4th of September:

Buy either MP/M6/M7 or wait for news 9th of September...M8 does not make a lot of sense

anymore, exept they will offer 8.2 after announcement of M9 at a pricelevel ~ 50% of M9...

Saloti

Congratulations on you order for the M9!

Well, I guess this is more proof of what is coming. From what country did you order? What did the dealer tell you ordered the camera (what information he has from Leica and his expectations regarding the camera - will it be the digital solution we have all been waiting for) ? I am most interested, but will not be able to afford one until sometime next year.

What are your expectations regarding this new camera and how it relates to your experience with the M8 (assuming you own an M8, you may not).

You do not have to tell us the price you are paying, but I am curious.

my experience with M8 is excellent, however, I admit that I miss full format to fully exploit

all my Leica lenses, especially -but not only- WATE. If Leica goes for around 18 MP with

a FF sensor, then we might expect highest quality standards, following the Leica philosophy

"less pixel is more quality" (in comparison to competitors). Finally: I also expect to get rid

of the IR/IV Filter issue.

Funny, I wanted to place an order in UK two weeks ago but decided to wait as I anyways want a chrome and I guess that I can get one of those quite fast.

The dealers here in Denmark has 20-25% discount on the M8.2 already and when I said "that's almost confirming the M9 is coming," the answer was almost a direct quote of a NDA, because they went total silent.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

exept they will offer 8.2 after announcement of M9 at a pricelevel ~ 50% of M9...

Lother - this isn't being nit-picking - it's a desire for clarification (and I really really appreciate how clear and excellent your English is)... There's a possible ambiguity around EXCEPT they will offer. Do you mean (conditional sense):

"UNLESS they offer an 8.2 at a price level ~ 50% of M9 then there's no point in considering it."

I think that was the meaning, but it's good to be clear. Also - very interesting to hear the €5,500 ballpark number - that would put the M9 at a USD 7,827 / GBP 4,827 level. More than I've ever paid for a camera, but JUST about acceptable (especially as I've got a couple of Euro paid jobs coming up (:))

Given that the M8/2 was around €5000 when it came out, it's remarkably good value - just a bummer for me that I'm stuck with stupid sterling.... :eek:

Given that the M8/2 was around €5000 when it came out, it's remarkably good value - just a bummer for me that I'm stuck with stupid sterling.... :eek:

A few months ago when the pound was tanking there were a few good deals to be had for us "Europeans" when ordering from the "Island" because adjustment in UK pricing was lagging behind. I would have thought though, that by now the adjustment for exchange rate has been made. In other words, I would expect that an M9 in the UK would cost in GBP pretty much the equivalent to an e.g. M9 in Germany in Euros.

The dealer accepted the order and will give more details after 9th of September (exact price & exact shipping date, he did at least not exclude shipment immediately after 9th of September).

This is old news - many dealers have been taking pre-orders. Unless of course you have been charged a deposit, which I think would not be OK.

More than I've ever paid for a camera, but JUST about acceptable (especially as I've got a couple of Euro paid jobs coming up (:))

Not sure I understand the logic - presumably you've got a couple of Euro paid jobs coming up irrespective of whether you buy an M9? Surely the camera is a £5000 opportunity cost whichever way you look at it?

Personally, I'm not sure whether I'm interested in the M9 or not. I've never liked the IR filters and I do like the idea of using my 50 Summilux as a proper 50 but I've got used to working with the M8 to the extent that I don't really feel the need to change anything. It's not as if the new camera is going to provide me with a compelling competitive advantage or a new opportunity (such as the way that the M8 provided me with a way to shoot my M lenses on a digital platform).

I agree that £5000 (presumably including VAT) seems decent value for a Leica product of the rumoured spec but I think it also illustrates just what poor value the M8.2 was at the original £4000 RRP.

Edited by wattsy

...and I am sure that they will start to ship immediately after 9th of September

or only a few weeks later...

Wow. They haven't been bought by Apple :D

Seriously, I found it very frustrating that there was often such a big gap between the date a product was anounced and the date it was finally shipped. Glad to hear that this seems to be different this time.

"UNLESS they offer an 8.2 at a price level ~ 50% of M9 then there's no point in considering it."

I think that was the meaning, but it's good to be clear. Also - very interesting to hear the €5,500 ballpark number - that would put the M9 at a USD 7,827 / GBP 4,827 level. More than I've ever paid for a camera, but JUST about acceptable (especially as I've got a couple of Euro paid jobs coming up (:))

I was adressing to another thread, in which somebody was asking whether he should

go for a M8/M8.2 during his 4th of September New York visit.

I wanted to say: No, do not go for it, the M9 will be sold very soonly. If you can afford M9,

go for M9. If you can´t afford it, go for M8.2 assuming that Leica would sell it at ~ 50% of the M9 level, which I assume to around 5.500 €..., or go for a second hand M8, there will be heaps

of it in the market place soon.

What I have to add to the whole M8/M8.2/M9 story (being happy that M9 will appear in a

few days) is the following:

It is absolutely unacceptable that only months ago Leica is offering an upgrade program

for M8 owners, which is quiet expensive, knowing that they will launch M9 now. This is not

serious at all, fortunately I did not go for it, I was, however, hesitating. Leica still does not know

how to manage (this includes external communication) product life cycles.

Wow. They haven't been bought by Apple :D

Seriously, I found it very frustrating that there was often such a big gap between the date a product was anounced and the date it was finally shipped. Glad to hear that this seems to be different this time.

GMB,

there is another view on this: What will those say, who have bought M 8.2 at full price only

some weeks ago?

Wouldn´t most of them have waited for M9, if this had been properly announced?

What is the difference of paying 4.995,- € or something between 5.000,- and 6.000,- €

what I expect to be the M9 price?

By proceeding as they (probably) do Leica avoids M 8.2 sales dropping too early/sharply.

That´s good for them, not very good for their clients...

The car business is run much more professionally: New models are announced & tested (!!!)

sufficiently in advance, while announcing the new car the old model will be offered at special

prices and/or special features for the time being.

Now, cars have a life cycle of around 7 years, the digital camera cycle is shorter. With regard to

Leica M-bodies I would consider a life cycle of 3 to 4 years to be "normal", once we have left the M8

period behind us. Given this I would truly expect an announcement of successor products ~4-6 months

in advance as a "customer relationship building measure".

Not sure I understand the logic - presumably you've got a couple of Euro paid jobs coming up irrespective of whether you buy an M9? Surely the camera is a £5000 opportunity cost whichever way you look at it?

Oh I know - TOTALLY illogical. It's just that when I'm paid in Euros it doesn't feel so bad buying things in Euros - old habits. I've still got happy memories when it was around .7 Euros to the Pound.

And hey, it's a long time since I made a really rational decision around money things, but I seem to get by ... :)

It's all between Lothar and his dealer.

A typical answer from my dealer to a customer would be: "It doesn't exist in my order system yet but I'll give you a call once it shows up."

That being said, I've been with my dealer for more than 15 years and there were more than a couple instances when I've pre-ordered some big ticket items but changed my mind on spot, he never had an issue with it.

Guest darkstar2004

All the hoopla makes me glad to own an MP. It has a revolutionary B&W full frame sensor made by Kodak - which reconfigures to a color sensor made by Fuji after 36 exposures - and then back after another 36 exposures.

Best of all, no IR filter is needed to produce honest-to-goodness black blacks rather than eggplant colored blacks... :D

Edited by darkstar2004

No, apart from this I placed a binding order, bound to conditions, the order was accepted

by the dealer.

Lothar,

You faith in your dealer, and vice versa, adds a positive note to all these M9 discussions. BTW, I would do the same as you, if I had the money available, as I also trust my Leica dealer the way you do.

However, if there really will be a M9 in September is: that is really a matter of faith :rolleyes: