Loads of new user questions

jasoniburn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know all of this info will be somewhere in the forum so I apologise for asking it in one posting but here goes.

I am coming from a Canon 1D MKIII. I understand the sutter speed/f stop/ISO trilogy and how they interact.

My questions are

Is the M8 the same as my 1D in manual mode? i.e. do I have to decide everything?

Is there the equivalent of an Aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode? i.e. in AV mode I choose fstop depending on what depth of field I want and the camera sets the shutter speed combined with ISO input from me. Vice versa in Shutter mode.

Does the camera have a built in light meter assisting me with exposure?

How is shutter lag? My 1D is instant and my p&s is horrible. Is the M8 somewhere in between?

Is there a point and shoot mode on either body? My wife like to use the 1D on occasions and I stick that in program mode and she can shoot quite happily.

Thanks and sorry for all of the questions in one place.

Jason

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the M8 the same as my 1D in manual mode? i.e. do I have to decide everything?

It's more different than that - you have to focus every shot yourself. You DO however have an A mode in which the manually set aperture (via a mechanical ring on the lens) determine's shutter speed (in conjunction with centre weighted light metering)

Is there the equivalent of an Aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode? i.e. in AV mode I choose fstop depending on what depth of field I want and the camera sets the shutter speed combined with ISO input from me. Vice versa in Shutter mode.

YES - see above. There is, however no automated T mode - this is, in effect, what manual is - you set the shutter speed manually and then adjust metering via the aperture ring

Yes - and once you've got used to it, it's surprisingly accurate - you can also lock exposure with a half pressure on the shutter release button.

How is shutter lag? My 1D is instant and my p&s is horrible. Is the M8 somewhere in between?

Effectively the same as the 1D.

Is there a point and shoot mode on either body? My wife like to use the 1D on occasions and I stick that in program mode and she can shoot quite happily.

NO - there's a very tacky "sort of Auto" mode on the M8.2 which no one I know uses - it only produces JPEGS and depends on you having zone focused beforehand. HOWEVER - it's great if your partner starts to learn how to use a camera independently isn't it (she might fall in love with it and insist that you get two bodies! ;))

Hope this helps - there are some friendly people on the forum who'll help with other questions - and not too many trolls

PS - you can download the M8 manual from Leica's site - this makes sense as it will give you a better idea of what you're buying into.

PPS - if you're in love with rapid fire sports and wildlife using long telephoto lenses and if you don't want to process RAW images, DON'T get an M8...

I know all of this info will be somewhere in the forum so I apologise for asking it in one posting but here goes.

I am coming from a Canon 1D MKIII. I understand the sutter speed/f stop/ISO trilogy and how they interact.

My questions are<snip>

The M8 instruction manual and technical specs are on the Leica website at http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/ . They answer all your questions except perhaps about shutter lag, which is a little shorter than on the Canon.

Yes.

Is there the equivalent of an Aperture priority mode or shutter priority mode?.

AV mode

Of course

M8 is instant too. M have been known to have very short shutter lag for the last 50 years.

There is some kind of AV+Auto Iso mode on the M8 but nothing like a P&S mode. You'll still need to focus manually and choose your f-stop. The M8 is clearly not a camera for your wife.

Well, I'll have a go, but as Mark stated, you really need to study the manual. (You can download them the Leica website if you don't have one.)

To answer your questions in order.

Yes, it's all up to you.

Yes, set the camera to 'A(uto)' for aperture priority.

Yes, both cameras have a ttl metering system that gives a centre-weighted reading.

The amount of shutter-lag on an M8 will make a 1D seem like a snail with a hangover. (It's very 'instant'.)

If you have an M8.2, it comes with 'S(napshot)' mode.

But the one question that you haven't asked, is perhaps more important. So don't forget to focus!

Have fun. :)

TBH, if you have to ask such basic questions, I do wonder whether you did the right thing buying an M8.

I haven't purchased the camera yet this is all fact finding information.

However I would like to say thanks for your constructive non-condescending response to my questions. And I thought that there were only %$#@ heads on the Canon forum. I guess the worlds full of them.

I was told as youngster that if I couldn't say anything positive then don't say anything.

Thanks Mark

Edited by jasoniburn

Any rangefinder camera is a very different beast than a SLR, and a M8 is utterly different from one of those auto-everything-by-two-score-buttons SLR cameras. Just the other day I tried to tell another hopeful Leica newbie about that difference:

"A Leica M is a hands-on camera. You take the picture, not the camera ....

With a SLR you see something that interests you. You raise the camera to your eye and start hunting for a picture, working your zoom lens. Then you decide where the focus should be, or let the camera do that. And then you press the shutter release. --- With a RF camera you know already when you see the subject how the lens you have mounted 'sees' it (that comes with practice). You know already what in the subject you are going to put maximum focus on. You raise the camera, focus, adjust the composition, and shoot. It is an entirely different workflow."

I should add that, as rangefinders can't use zooms, you will have to learn to (a) see your opportunities as 35mm opportunities, 90mm opportunities or whatever, depending on the lens you have mounted, and (B) zoom with your feet. What you get in return is superb and fast optics, a most unusual combination. This is 'participatory photography' -- you are perhaps not a part of the subject, but you are definitely a part of the situation. "If your pictures are not good enough, then you are not close enough" said Robert Capa. Admittedly, he finally got too close. But he did take lots of good pictures before that.

Vive la différence! The old man from the Age B.B. (Before Buttons)

Edited by lars_bergquist

Hi Jason.

I am very new to using manual exposure with the M8. With my SLR i use Av all the time and i came to the m8 with that habit but somehow the M8 should be used in manual to my mind, it feels so much easier and enjoyable, i love my M8 even more now that i have discovered it where as i think Av mode is perfect for me on my SLR.

Good luck. It took me ages to warm to the M8, now it's my funny but best friend!!

Lucy:D

Hello Jason and welcome to this forum.

My questions are

The M8 is not the same as 1D is in manual mode: it is a lot simpler:

Your only decisions you have to make to take pictures are:

*Choose aperture according to your needs: DoF or action freeze? I don't understand the need for shutter priority, it is not needed, therefore M* = simpler.

*Choose whether you want the camera to pick a speed for you, based on its centered meter, or pick one yourself based on your own choices(you can play with darks, M8 gives a lot of detail in underexposed areas).

+ You can also decide in auto ISO(camera picks the best ISO according to lens in use, which is also detected via sensors and speed) or manual ISO.

+ You shoot in RAW for efficiency ofcourse

Shutter lag is nonexistent. You can take a picture in msecs after you turn that switch on.

Of course you still have to manually focus, which a simple and straightforward operation, but still needs to be done by you.

There is no p&s mode because you always must decide on aperture.

As soon as your wife learn the simple focusing procedure (again: it's quite simple and fast and secure and precise) she will simply love the M8 because:

its smaller and lighter,

simpler to use,

produce the same great results,

there is no "tunneling" vision: its vf is extremely bright and large.

Once you explain to her the effects of F, she can do it on her own, its not exactly rocket science, and you can leave camera to A for speed, auto ISO and let her focus. She will love it because she is gonna be the one that captures and not some electronic brain based on whatever focus mode its in or other programme.

Because you overreacted to a reasonable post by Mark?

Sorry I didn't realise that Mark was the Dali Lamar on this forum.

As a newcomer to Leica who is in need of as much information as possible before the switch I expected a little more constructive input than,

"TBH, if you have to ask such basic questions, I do wonder whether you did the right thing buying an M8."

My questions were all technically related to the camera that I am considering buying. he should have put up or shut up TBH.

Mark's response was in no shape or form reasonable and he should as a senior poster on the forum try to set a more helpful example.

Everyone else has addressed the questions posed.

I think Mark overreacted. The OP did not indicate that he had bought an M8 only that he was considering such a step.

Clearly 90% of the questions could have been answered by reading the on-line specifications and/or the on-line manual.

Now for the anwers:

Yes

Only AP not SP

Yes

Lag = 0 (or at least I have never managed to measure a number that is worth mentioning)

There is no P&S mode but if you set to auto (AP mode and auto-ISO) and choose a sensible f/value (f/4 or so) then all you need to do is focus and click. Exposure might not be optimal in difficult light but it is pretty intuitive.

Sorry I didn't realise that Mark was the Dali Lamar on this forum.

Jason,

First of all, welcome.

Secondly, Mark may have been a little terse in his response, but you have to view that in context - we have a number of trolls who turn up here and who will often start out in a similar tone to that of your first post. Nobody has any additional rights because they have been a member here for any length of time or because they have achieved a certain number of posts, but it would be fair to say that some are more valued than others because of what they have done for, and brought to, the other members of this Forum. I suggest you look back at some of Mark's previous posts before you judge him.

Finally, thank you for the best laugh of the day. I now have a vision of Mark as a low-rent R&B singer in sandals, orange robes and big square spectacles, enlightening the masses about Buddhism... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

Jason,

First of all, welcome.

Secondly, Mark may have been a little terse in his response, but you have to view that in context - we have a number of trolls who turn up here and who will often start out in a similar tone to that of your first post. Nobody has any additional rights because they have been a member here for any length of time or because they have achieved a certain number of posts, but it would be fair to say that some are more valued than others because of what they have done for, and brought to, the other members of this Forum. I suggest you look back at some of Mark's previous posts before you judge him.

Finally, thank you for the best laugh of the day. I now have a vision of Mark as a low-rent R&B singer in sandals, orange robes and big square spectacles, enlightening the masses about Buddhism... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

I'm sure that there are a number of "trolls" coming on the forum asking stupid questions but these can usually be identified at a glance.

I have received some great information already and am grateful for that. I consider the matter closed. I'm sure Mark has a great wealth of information to share.

No hard feelings