• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigSplash
M8.2 isthe current model, with great deals to be had with M8 'Demos'

cheers

This does not make sense as it forces the entry level model to £4000 and not £2500 which is where the M8 was positioned. Presumably this suggests that there will on 9 Sept be an annoucement for M9 and a low cost entry level unit. If Leica do not do this i think their strategy is well weakened and i am pleased that i bought my M8 when I did

This does not make sense as it forces the entry level model to £4000 and not £2500 which is where the M8 was positioned. Presumably this suggests that there will on 9 Sept be an annoucement for M9 and a low cost entry level unit. If Leica do not do this i think their strategy is well weakened and i am pleased that i bought my M8 when I did

It also does not make sense to limit to 1/4000th sec, Noctilux and Summilux fans may want to shoot at 1.0 or 1.4 on a sunny day... and do not feel like adding neutral filter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No not at all. I was foreinsic scientist for around 10 years. I was probably the only one in Texas who used Leica Geer exclusivly, Some of the other tects wouldntd,

I regesteredn as a Leica working proffessi

Ime glid mi spl chekker is stil wurking

................ Chras

.. Seems like a bunch of rude people have no other life.....:

Oh dear, and there was me thinking that I try to not be rude. What I do try to do though; is retain a sense of humour, and I thought maybe you'd be like minded. Whilst it's far, far too late to be apologising for my sense of humour, I do sympathise with your post-operative state and wish you a speedy recovery.

............. Chris

Sorry to the spell nannies. I just had surgery, was on pain meds. Seems like a bunch of rude people have no other life. Go out and photograph.:mad:
A sense of proportion - is was a good-natured post....

I noticed at B&H that the silver M8 (Classic) is listed as discontinued. The black M8 is still in stock, as are the M8.2 models.

Could be a mistake, but maybe not...

Leica | M8 Rangefinder Digital Camera Body | 10702 | B&H Photo

Robert White (UK) lists 'limited supply' for silver, black also available £2665+VAT @15%.

It also does not make sense to limit to 1/4000th sec, Noctilux and Summilux fans may want to shoot at 1.0 or 1.4 on a sunny day... and do not feel like adding neutral filter.

And in the EBD (era before digital) a leica shooter had what top shutter speed?.;)

This does not make sense as it forces the entry level model to £4000 and not £2500 which is where the M8 was positioned. Presumably this suggests that there will on 9 Sept be an annoucement for M9 and a low cost entry level unit.

I doubt Leica shares your sense of logic. I doubt the M9 - if it exists - will be any cheaper. All indications are that it will be considerably more expensive than the M8.2.

Leica is a funny company. They seem to think that each time they introduce a new camera, the price must be 25 percent (or more) higher than the last camera they introduced. That's a dangerous pathway for a company already struggling to expand its customer base.

Hopefully, the "entry level" camera is something they'll address with a future model.

The difference now is that Leica have a chance to compete with the top-line DSLR cameras.

A D3X is around $7k. If a full-frame leica at 18-20MP can come in around that price as has been suggested, then it might offer real competition.

Around 1997 you could buy a Nikon F5 for around $2k. It shot 8 FPS and had great autofocus and lots of shooting modes. Or for the same price you could have bought an M6ttl with a thumb wind and manual exposure. But they took the same film and so many pros did still shoot with Leicas. If Leica can make a FF camera with somewhat similar specs to the high-end DSLRs for a similar price, it may very well attract some pros back to rangefinders.

Keeping the M8.2 around at, say, $4500, will offer a cheaper, though not cheap, alternative. And the used M8 and M8.2 bodies will sell for something in the $2k range, which may help attract new users.