M8 discontinued?

noah_addis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The difference now is that Leica have a chance to compete with the top-line DSLR cameras.

A D3X is around $7k. If a full-frame leica at 18-20MP can come in around that price as has been suggested, then it might offer real competition.

Around 1997 you could buy a Nikon F5 for around $2k. It shot 8 FPS and had great autofocus and lots of shooting modes. Or for the same price you could have bought an M6ttl with a thumb wind and manual exposure. But they took the same film and so many pros did still shoot with Leicas. If Leica can make a FF camera with somewhat similar specs to the high-end DSLRs for a similar price, it may very well attract some pros back to rangefinders.

Keeping the M8.2 around at, say, $4500, will offer a cheaper, though not cheap, alternative. And the used M8 and M8.2 bodies will sell for something in the $2k range, which may help attract new users.

All good points - it's also worth remembering that the change in the value of the Euro has a big impact

As far as I remember the list price of the m8.2 was €5000, whereas the french site had the list price of the M9 at €5500 - not a huge increase - but the change in the rate of the dollar (and the pound) is going to make it much more expensive for those of us not in Europe.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference now is that Leica have a chance to compete with the top-line DSLR cameras.

A D3X is around $7k. If a full-frame leica at 18-20MP can come in around that price as has been suggested, then it might offer real competition.

Keeping the M8.2 around at, say, $4500, will offer a cheaper, though not cheap, alternative. And the used M8 and M8.2 bodies will sell for something in the $2k range, which may help attract new users.

This is what I'd really like to see too... Even better if they've been everything into the same form factor body so that you can share batteries, swap grips etc. OK - if the lenses DON'T need filters on the M9 it will be a bit of a hassle running them in parallel, but I think that's what I'll have to do for a bit (2 M9's would be stretching things this year!). The magical thing IMHO would be a full frame M9 which had complete interchangeability of accessories, batteries etc with it's smaller-sensor less expensive sibling.

We can only hope... :)

All good points - it's also worth remembering that the change in the value of the Euro has a big impact

As far as I remember the list price of the m8.2 was €5000, whereas the french site had the list price of the M9 at €5500 - not a huge increase - but the change in the rate of the dollar (and the pound) is going to make it much more expensive for those of us not in Europe.

Also hoping from a UK perspective that the M9 is available at launch date - at least we have a lower level of VAT at the moment - due to go up in October / November...

Also hoping from a UK perspective that the M9 is available at launch date - at least we have a lower level of VAT at the moment - due to go up in October / November...

We've got until 1 January, unless the date's been changed since the rate was lowered last year.

Guest BigSplash
The M8 has been discontinued for quite a while. Any cameras remaining are old stock.

My dealer told me that he believes that M8 will stay and M8.2 will be discontinued. ...are you sure that it is correct?

It wouldn't be all that crazy for Leica to keep the M8 around as an entry-level option and discontinue the M8.2 rather than just dropping the price of the 8.2. They're the same camera in terms of image quality.

If I like what I see (and the price) I'll likely get two M9s, sell the 24 'Lux and my two MP bodies, and sell one M8. I'll keep the other M8 as backup (see my broken shutter thread!).

I think three digital cameras isn't overkill for a pro, though sometimes I envy amateurs who don't need to worry about such things as redundant backups!

Switching filters would be a pain, but I'd only use the M8 in case of catastrophic failure of one of my main cameras, so I can keep the M8 and some filters in a backup case.

The prices we've seen quoted in Euros, if they're at all remotely accurate, would include VAT, no? So the US prices would be somewhat less than a straight conversion would suggest.

My dealer told me that he believes that M8 will stay and M8.2 will be discontinued. ...are you sure that it is correct?

Other than the sapphire glass "upgrade" for the LCD, do you (plural) suppose the M8.2 costs Leica any more to make than the M8? Even the change of glass can't add that much. If pricing were based solely on materials and labor, I would guess that the M8 and M8.2 would be priced very close to each other. Thoughts?

Guest BigSplash

Has anyone seen anything officially about discontinuing M8 or M8.2 from Leica? Jaapv you posted that M8 has been discontinued other people say the reverse.....is there anything official ...there is just over a week to go before the expected M9 announcement

They will not announce anything with regards to the M8, while the M8 is still their cash-cow camera.

There is an event on 9/9, which is likely to herald the M9. THAT is the time for an announcement about the future of the M8 to be made, not before.

I can see it now:-

"Dear Leica Folks,

We
may
be announcing a future product in a few week's time, which
may
be available in a further 6 months time. But this is just to let you all know that we stopped making all our M8s 3 months ago, and if you can't find one, there will be no more from the factory"

Doesn't work, really, does it?

Now, where's that gun? I want to shoot myself in the foot in solidarity with the Leica that announces the end of another product before announcing the availability of its replacement. :)

Other than the sapphire glass "upgrade" for the LCD, do you (plural) suppose the M8.2 costs Leica any more to make than the M8? Even the change of glass can't add that much. If pricing were based solely on materials and labor, I would guess that the M8 and M8.2 would be priced very close to each other. Thoughts?

I actually could not understand if Leica would stop to produce a M8.x, ie. a crop digital M at entry level price. It is too obvious that this is needed to gain foothold for people attracted by marketing but limited in their financial means. It makes sense that Leica would skip the sapphire glass for this model in my point of view.

Regards

Steve

Guest BigSplash
They will not announce anything with regards to the M8, while the M8 is still their cash-cow camera.

There is an event on 9/9, which is likely to herald the M9. THAT is the time for an announcement about the future of the M8 to be made, not before.

I can see it now:-

"Dear Leica Folks,

We
may
be announcing a future product in a few week's time, which
may
be available in a further 6 months time. But this is just to let you all know that we stopped making all our M8s 3 months ago, and if you can't find one, there will be no more from the factory"

Doesn't work, really, does it?

Now, where's that gun? I want to shoot myself in the foot in solidarity with the Leica that announces the end of another product before announcing the availability of its replacement. :)

Andy I agree with you completely.

That is why I cannot understand why Leica does not officially announce that they will continue making both M8 and M8.2 as long as demand exists...this is their message for M7 and MP. This kills all speculation at a stroke.

Instead Solms say nothing and have dealers and various forum members giving out news of the demise of M8 and/or M8.2 while apparently there is no stock for M8 at Solms.

One would hope that a Leica M8 costs a small fraction of its sale price to make .....so if they have units left in inventory they should be able to have a clearance sale once the M9 is in full reliable production. Isn't that the way to do it?

I'll be amazed if they keep the M8.2 in the range. The M9 is the aspirational product and the M8 can sit there as a low cost alternative without blurring the gap between the two products.

Assuming that the M8 can be offered at it's current lower price, it'll expand the market for digital M's and won't adversely affect the price in the used market for M8.2 owners beyond the impact of the M9.

Is it possible that Leica have converted M8.2 tooling, or assembly facilities to accommodate the M9 ?

I'll be amazed if they keep the M8.2 in the range. The M9 is the aspirational product and the M8 can sit there as a low cost alternative without blurring the gap between the two products.

Assuming that the M8 can be offered at it's current lower price, it'll expand the market for digital M's and won't adversely affect the price in the used market for M8.2 owners beyond the impact of the M9.

Is it possible that Leica have converted M8.2 tooling, or assembly facilities to accommodate the M9 ?

No point keeping the M8 going: the only significant difference in production cost between the two is the sapphire LCD cover which can be deleted, and the lower-stressed M8.2 shutter almost certainly has a higher MTBF than the one in the M8.

Guest BigSplash
Because they have a big announcement planned in less than 2 weeks time!

They have no need to announce anything now.

This is 99% internet chatter, don't forget.

Andy they should have announced that M8 and M8.2 will stay in production as long as ther is demand six months ago...I agree that now it is too late 2 weeks prior to a new product release. They should howver make the M8 announcement of continued production as they phase in the M9. and in my view they should in anycase continue M8 as a low cost entry model.

I have an M8 and doubt that I would have bought it at £6K ....that said I like the M8 so much that I very well may buy the M9 once they have sorted the inevitable bugs in production and maybe design.

The M8 is a fabulous product that should if positioned appropriately open up new market segments that cannot be addressed by any DSLR. Try stuffing a decent spec DSLR into a medium size briefcase and travel the world with it and its zoom lens!