Sign in to follow this  
chris_tribble

M9 - some more reliable news?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW - Stuns - what filter size/mount are you using for the 35 pre-ASPH? I thought it required series filters inside the shade.

BTW - Stuns - what filter size/mount are you using for the 35 pre-ASPH? I thought it required series filters inside the shade.

you can also use a 49mm filter - if the filter frame is not too thick

The standard filter is a series VII - they are still available, but as mentioned you can use a 49mm filter between the two halves of the lens hood and this is what I use.

As you may know, the aspherical version can't be coded, or at least not professionally, and it is such a beauty that I don't want to mess with it.

Hi - just for information, Malcolm Taylor in the UK is now set up to code "uncodable" lenses. He has highly professional equipment + the skills to remove the backplate, machine the coding and, where necessary, adapt screwheads so that they can be included in any coding.

I have no commercial interest in promoting Malcolm's work - just a high level of satisfaction for the work he's done for me on Leica (pre-asph 50 and 75 lux + Zeiss 18)... If you want his contacts, do PM me.

Hi - just for information, Malcolm Taylor in the UK is now set up to code "uncodable" lenses. He has highly professional equipment + the skills to remove the backplate, machine the coding and, where necessary, adapt screwheads so that they can be included in any coding.

I have no commercial interest in promoting Malcolm's work - just a high level of satisfaction for the work he's done for me on Leica (pre-asph 50 and 75 lux + Zeiss 18)... If you want his contacts, do PM me.

Malcolm Taylor

Upper Lye Farm

Aymestrey

Leominster

Herefordshire HR6 9SZ Tel. - 01568 770542

He did a great job on an old Summaron 35 3.5 I bought from Red Dot!

Thanks, Chris. I may contact him, but I am hesitant to change anything on the 35lux aspherical. It is such a rare lens that I am not sure I want to code it, especially if I don't need to mess with IR filters anymore in the near future. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bernd,

I didn't know the 35 Lux ASPH couldn't be coded. Or that it was rare. Is it not a current Leica M lens?

I'm asking because I have one (a chrome one to boot), and while I know it vignettes, I've never had a shot where I can see the cyan in the corners as I clearly can on yours.

There are two versions:

Version I was from 1989-1994 with a production run ~2000 units. Model Number 11873. It weighed 300 grams. Ground & polished aspherical lenses.

Version II started 1994 and includes 11874 (black), 11883 (chrome) and 11859 (titanium). This version weighs 250 grams and is ~2 mm shorter. Pressed aspherical lenses. Slightly better MTF than Version I.

Regarding coding, I suspect it's Version I that may have a screw where the coding needs to go. I could be wrong; just guessing.

I have the 35mm aspherical (1st version, handmade with 2 aspherical elements), which might be why the Cyan is accentuated if the theory about aspherical elements is true. Actually only about 600 were made because of tight tolerances. It is a gorgeous lens that does not suffer from focus shift.

There are two versions:

Version I was from 1989-1994 with a production run ~2000 units. Model Number 11873. It weighed 300 grams. Ground & polished aspherical lenses.

Version II started 1994 and includes 11874 (black), 11883 (chrome) and 11859 (titanium). This version weighs 250 grams and is ~2 mm shorter. Pressed aspherical lenses. Slightly better MTF than Version I.

Regarding coding, I suspect it's Version I that may have a screw where the coding needs to go. I could be wrong; just guessing.

Thanks John, Thanks Bernd!

I believe I have the more recent version 2.

Bernd,

I didn't know the 35 Lux ASPH couldn't be coded. Or that it was rare. Is it not a current Leica M lens?

I'm asking because I have one (a chrome one to boot), and while I know it vignettes, I've never had a shot where I can see the cyan in the corners as I clearly can on yours.

Jamie, that was the short-lived "first" asph. version of the 35 lux on which they've painted the whole word aspherical instead of asph. in short form.

I don't think there's any issue coding it, Bernd probably means he wants to keep its virginity.

is this the new canon thread?

im quite curious to the sensor road, some say iliah borg has thoughts on the new sensor, and he has written about this at some forum. i cant seem to find that forum, anyone has any ideas, R. Fossum?

will it be the well familiar (to us) kodak, or will they go a different way this time?

things evolve with time, and yes alot has happened in the sensor business..

we can atleast be sure of , the ninth is getting closer.. (the date=)

are

Hi,

I've been referring to these two threads at dpreview:

Hints at a possible 1.33x sensor (or the quality of the files?):

Re: Leica M9 FF on coming in September?: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hints at what characteristics (and supplier) the new camera will have:

Re: What theoretically would be the best sensor f/ M9?: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hi,

I've been referring to these two threads at dpreview:

Hints at a possible 1.33x sensor (or the quality of the files?):

Re: Leica M9 FF on coming in September?: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hints at what characteristics (and supplier) the new camera will have:

Re: What theoretically would be the best sensor f/ M9?: Leica Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Interesting:

"I'm actually saying that at least on pre-production Leica M9 the colour is different from Canon 5DMkII and is exactly the same as the colour from Leica M8." Iliah Borg