M9 - some more reliable news?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Far be it from me to spread rumours - but hey, it's the summer, there's little or no good news, so why not? Over on another thread of marginal interest to others who have real lives, Simon Baker said...

On another note, the mount on my 135 APO is being modified in such a way as to make it easy to change back for M9 full frame 135 lines, note I "did not" request this, it is being done by "you now who" because he felt it worth doing as he today confirmed that it is an M9 announcement that is coming on 09/09 and that it is full frame as someone he knows very well is currently testing the camera and has confirmed it to him.

To everyone except Chris .... YES this all sounds very "someone who knows someone" but please note I am not in the habbit of spreading rumours or making things up and Chris will know who I am talking about and that he is an extremely reputable person and is not the type to say things just for the sake of it.

What he did also say is that "he believed" it will be an announcement on 09/09 and not the actual launch as the camera is still being tested and we are now only 3 weeks away from 09/09

So, read into what I have said whatever you wish, all I will say is that the "source" is very reliable and I am sure Chris will agree. I guess we will know for sure on 09/09 .... what I also know for sure is that I will not be able to afford an M9 yet, having spent the best part of £12k on M kit in the last 10 months:eek:

A bit like Simon - I'm watching this space... but we do seem to be living in interesting times.. :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Raindrops keep falling on my head...." or should that be "Just another brick in the Wall"?

I have fewer doubts of an M9 announcement than I did. I just wonder if it will be the S2-type - "Available next summer" - or the M8-type - "Available next month"

I just wonder if it will be the S2-type - "Available next summer" - or the M8-type - "Available next month"

I suspect that "available next summer" may not be good enough for Leica sales numbers... I can see M8 sales dropping sharply - if they haven't already - upon Leica making the announcement. Therefore, I'd say that if there is an announcement in September, Christmas will be early for many of us this year.

But that's pure speculation again :eek:

Far be it from me to spread rumours - but hey, it's the summer, there's little or no good news, so why not? Over on another thread of marginal interest to others who have real lives, Simon Baker said...

A bit like Simon - I'm watching this space... but we do seem to be living in interesting times.. :)

Hopefully not in the Chinese curse sense. :(

I suspect that "available next summer" may not be good enough for Leica sales numbers... I can see M8 sales dropping sharply - if they haven't already - upon Leica making the announcement.

I agree on the marketing factor. Leica can't afford to announce the M9 and wait for months not selling any M8. Also the M9 had a huge benefit from the newly developed electronics in the S2. Both will probably share the same graphic processor. If Leica announces the M9 in the near future, the shipment will start within weeks. I already placed an (inn-official) order for the M9 at my dealer.

full-frame/18pix.

misha

PHOTOGRAPHY BY MISHA FRIEDMAN

And people will say, :mad: ONLY 18MP? I mean, I mean, SONY has an FF camera in the 20MP range!

You wait...

On the other hand, even Canon (G10) is seeing reason and not increasing MP counts all to hell and gone for no good reason. :eek:

Be nice if Leica keeps a smaller sensor M for those of us without deep-ish pockets - same lens mount - so we could have an upgrade path. I'd love to see a $2500 M 8.3 (again, same lens mount), a line of nice but not altogether newest tech lenses, body with improved electronics, and a full frame M for lottery winners. :cool:

Is it only a co-incidence that Apple also have a rumoured event on September 9th? Will the M9 feature a built-in iPhone? Might it have built-in WiFi and thus be the iM9? (With a direct connection to Leica Support.) Even more alarmingly, rumour has it that September 9th will be a Wednesday! :rolleyes:

Is it only a co-incidence that Apple also have a rumoured event on September 9th? Will the M9 feature a built-in iPhone? Might it have built-in WiFi and thus be the iM9? (With a direct connection to Leica Support.) Even more alarmingly, rumour has it that September 9th will be a Wednesday! :rolleyes:

Also, as I posted in another 09/09 thread, a very big day for Beatles fans. Release of the remasters (in mono and stereo) of all the original UK albums, as well as the release of The Beatles Rock Band game.

Jeff.

Which, if the M9 is announced, is probably the same time we'll see a post saying that the camera isn't competitive compared to an entry level Canon dSLR.

... and the company will be in liquidation before the end of the year. .....

I thought they could have done more .......

If they hadn't have put live view on it could have been so much cheaper and grabbed the market. ...... Ok, the micro focus facility would be lost, but surely that could have been done as an a la carte option ....

Why did they move the card slot ?? ......

I don't/do like the paint finish (delete as appropriate)

Hey ho - how many days to disappointment for the masses ?

LOL guys, LOL

The just-announced Canon G11 has 10 megapixels, down from the 14.7 of the G10. Apparently Canon has come to its senses, so let's hope that Leica does the same and doesn't try to cram too much empty resolution into the M9.

I have fewer doubts of an M9 announcement than I did. I just wonder if it will be the S2-type - "Available next summer" - or the M8-type - "Available next month"

Andy, didn't I read somewhere on the forum that Dr Kaufmann said the next major new products will be shippable at announcement?

IOW, I guess they're stockpiling the first couple hundred units for shipment to North American and Asian shores... :p

The just-announced Canon G11 has 10 megapixels, down from the 14.7 of the G10. Apparently Canon has come to its senses, so let's hope that Leica does the same and doesn't try to cram too much empty resolution into the M9.

Larry--How about 7.5 MP, full frame, 1 mm pixel pitch for low noise, pixel binning at 3 MP and lower for extreme light sensitivity, etc? :rolleyes:

And there has to be an IR diode built in for M8 emulation so we don't have to keep removing our filters when we switch cameras.

No, wait--no diode needed. Just a setting to compensate for filter-caused cyan corners. That way they could keep selling the UV/IR Cut filters for all the new lenses, "just in case you want to use it on an M8." :)

M9 announced - cue 'it's too expensive' or "what about the upgrade program, why can't I get my M8 upgraded" or "Leica have turned their backs on their loyal M8 customers" or "FF, why? who needs it anyway"

M9 not announced - cue "Leica are doomed" or "Leica have mislead us" or "Leica are too small to develop a FF camera, why can't they partner with Canon/Nikon instead of Panasonic" or of course the old favourite "what Leica must do to survive, if I were CEO...."

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.