80mm Summilux R

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think these particular lenses are well suited for portraits of human beings, but just fine for those that shoot out in the wild. Sharpness is not beauty.

They are actually very well suited for portraits of human beings (I have lots of examples but certainly won't hijack the thread...), it's not all about sharpness either, their rendering is superb. I consider the 90 Summicron R a much better lens for portraits than the 80 Summilux actually, but that is a question of taste. However, if we are talking about the best R lens bar none, the 280 Apo Telyt R has no equal,and is probably still the best lens on the planet.

Cheers,

Well, for sharpness (or contrast), it doesn't compare with the current 180 Elmarit APO--let alone the 'cron-- either.

Stopped down it gets sharp and contrasty quickly though.

So what I like about it is its dual character: opened up it's a wonderful soft/sharp lens, like a mini-cheap-small-format-Cooke :) The tele APOs aren't like that at all.

Stopped down, it's very nice indeed and certainly sharp enough.

FWIW, I also like working at 80mm distances from my subject; but I'm not doing PJ stuff with it :)

Jaimie - As I said, it's definitely a great lens, I just object to it being called the best R lens because it definitely isn't. :)

By the way, gorgeous shots!

Edited by mgcd

It's not the best R lens, but it's the most special and fun. It has a Leica fingerprint like no other, the air, sharpness detail, 3D rendering, dreamy look, bokeh and all.

My 35-70/2.8 will beat it in details any day - even with eh 80/1.4 at 2.8. But the way it make things look is very special.

The lens design is definitely the same from the "old" to the "new" 80/1.4.

Jaimie - As I said, it's definitely a great lens, I just object to it being called the best R lens because it definitely isn't. :)

By the way, gorgeous shots!

Conrad--first, thanks for your comments on those shots :) I'm going through a ton of stuff right now trying to get a new Web site up and running!

And you're right on the absolute quality of the lenses. I've only ever played with a 180 'cron and I've never even seen a 280 APO let alone used one :)

I love my 180 Elmarit APO and unless I win a lottery I'll probably never afford the longer faster glass (though maybe someone will start dumping it :)) But the 180 'Cron is still going for as much as I'd get for my R9 / DMR put together!

I hear you on the 90 too... a matter of taste, as you say.

For me, the real portrait magic part of the 80 is between 1.4 and 2.0 so it's hard to translate to the other lenses (though the longer ones have the benefit of more magnification for sure), and the 90 'cron is an outstanding lens as well.

I've only ever played with a 180 'cron and I've never even seen a 280 APO let alone used one :)

Jamie - Here are a couple of samples:

280 f/4 Apo-Telyt R

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Funny how this thread has thrown up lots about the quality of the R glass (as opposed to the M stuff). I personally would love to get an 80 lux for just the same reasons as I like my 75 lux; it's just the perfect protrait lens. However the R range is full of stellar performers. I agree the 280/4 and the 180 APOs (cron and elmarit) are just out of this world, better than anyone else's glass. It's a shame that we have no R10, but maybe that'll come one day.

Charlie

I do agree that 80 lux is a special lens. There have been excellent examples so far. You can see some ordinary examples of how 80 lux performs in my hands on 5DM2. I had wide to short teles on the 5DM2 and medium to long teles (up to 280/4) on the DMR for this outing. The pictures in the immediate vicinity of this particular example were all shot with the 80 lux. All the campfire pictures were with the 80 lux, including the videos. There are some 35-70/2.8 pictures mixed in there, and I think one can readily pick those out from the 80 lux examples.

Troop 2 BSA Santa Monica, CA Albums

The lenses may have the exact same design, but the implementation in the 2 systems produces differences, both most lovely & unique.

They have not the exact same design. Leaving aside the difference in focal length, the curvature, separation and thickness of the elements is different. Besides, the 80mm Summilux also has two cemented elements with a curve surface, whereas the 75mm has a planar surface. I don't know if the glasses employed are the same. It is likely.

Thanks Wilfredo! The texture out of the camera is of course, smoother; there's a little dodge and burn and Alien Skin stuff on the posted shot.

Jamie,

I trust that you didn't mention to the blushing bride that she had Alien Skin?! :eek::D

Pete.

You know, the 50 R lux is no slouch either Wilfredo... and is now probably a bargain (and perhaps the best 50 out there, and I say that with my share of M 50s as well)...

This is with the DMR, though (as Conrad's were, too, I'm betting :))

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They have not the exact same design. Leaving aside the difference in focal length, the curvature, separation and thickness of the elements is different. Besides, the 80mm Summilux also has two cemented elements with a curve surface, whereas the 75mm has a planar surface. I don't know if the glasses employed are the same. It is likely.

That's really interesting... so Puts is wrong on that? That would bear out the system differences too...

You know, the 50 R lux is no slouch either Wilfredo... and is now probably a bargain (and perhaps the best 50 out there, and I say that with my share of M 50s as well)...

This is with the DMR, though (as Conrad's were, too, I'm betting :))

[ATTACH]157687[/ATTACH]

I recently purchaed a 50mm for my current 5D which I really like (Carl Zeiss f/1.4 Planar). This lens is a great value with lots of bang for the buck. Does the DMR have a CCD or CMOS sensor?

I recently purchaed a 50mm for my current 5D which I really like (Carl Zeiss f/1.4 Planar). This lens is a great value with lots of bang for the buck. Does the DMR have a CCD or CMOS sensor?

Ah Wilfredo, the DMR has a Kodak CCD with a 16 bit AD converter and uncompressed RAW files :) It's the reason I bought an M8!

<snip>

Stopped down it gets sharp and contrasty quickly though.

So what I like about it is its dual character.

Sounds just like the 90 Summicron-M, the one before the current Aspherical version. That was like two lenses in one. Fantastic portrait lens. But with an R camera, nailing focus would be easy.

Wilfredo, I'll see you on eBay! I'm after an 80 Lux as well.

Given similar subject height, which lens has the shallower depth of field, the 80mm Summilux-R or the 180mm Summicron-R?

From looking up the Leica Depth of Field tables, the 80 Lux wins.