M9 and used Leica lens prices

eleskin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigSplash

I could see 3 cameras. The M9 Full Frame, the M8 with the crop, and a new digital version of the CL for those with smaller finances. That combined with the S2 would be a wonderful combination. We also cannot rule out a digital solution for the R lenses.

Totally agree ....I think that is exactly what they will do. I believe that they will also during next 12 months introduce a gadget for telephoto / macro using EVF with M lenses and R lenses via an adapter

I think some lenses will go up in value the 50 for one I think the 28 will lose some luster the 24 will go up the 75 down . My guesses. David

If Jaap is right, and the viewfinder is the same as the M7, then the 28 will be the widest lens for use without a finder - I think it'll become MORE popular rather than less.

as for the 18 and the WATE, assuming the WATE performs well on FF I would have thought that, far from softening in price, it will become really attractive on FF, and the price will go up.

There are clearly many people who wouldn't buy the M8 because of the crop and the filters - I would have thought that, assuming it's good, the M9 will sell like hot cakes, and the secondhand prices of all the lenses will go up accordingly.

But then . . . what do I know?

Nicole bite your tongue!

I'm betting on 24x36 sensor, some IR filter solution, lower noise at high ISO, maybe fixes for controls (for example ISO setting?) and a lovely optical finder with RF like M's are supposed to have. I guess magnification adjusted if we are going 24x36?

Maybe back to .72???

But isn't the M9 supposed to be AF with live-view, matrix metering and auto-aperture coupling? Won't this make 'legacy' lenses obsolete and cause the price to plummet as the hordes rush to by the new lenses, dumping their old ones to help finance the new? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I can't see much, if any, effect upon lens prices if the future-M is FF. Film 'M's use the same lenses as the M8 does at present. :)

Nicole bite your tongue!

I'm betting on 24x36 sensor, some IR filter solution, lower noise at high ISO, maybe fixes for controls (for example ISO setting?) and a lovely optical finder with RF like M's are supposed to have. I guess magnification adjusted if we are going 24x36?

Maybe back to .72???

Good guess Geoff ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If Jaap is right, and the viewfinder is the same as the M7, then the 28 will be the widest lens for use without a finder - I think it'll become MORE popular rather than less.

as for the 18 and the WATE, assuming the WATE performs well on FF I would have thought that, far from softening in price, it will become really attractive on FF, and the price will go up.

There are clearly many people who wouldn't buy the M8 because of the crop and the filters - I would have thought that, assuming it's good, the M9 will sell like hot cakes, and the secondhand prices of all the lenses will go up accordingly.

But then . . . what do I know?

I agree with you 100%... I am not waiting until September and I'm buying a 28 next week... Now, where can I find a 28 external viewfinder to put on my M3?

Cheers,

I agree with you 100%... I am not waiting until September and I'm buying a 28 next week... Now, where can I find a 28 external viewfinder to put on my M3?

Cheers,

Cameraquest. rather nice and affordable CV finders :)

Cheers,

Hey Riccis--you keeping or dumping the 24 Lux in light of full frame? I sold my 28 and am going 24 (which should work on the M8 as well)... I'm figuring I will be down to

• 21 CV
  • 24 Lux
  • 28 CV 1.9 (a nice lens, actually, though no 'cron)
  • 35 Lux ASPH
  • 50 Lux ASPH
  • 75 Lux
  • 90 Fat Elmarit

Which should give me what I want, I think, for full-frame (till I win the lotto and can add a 28 and better 90)

Hey Riccis--you keeping or dumping the 24 Lux in light of full frame? I sold my 28 and am going 24 (which should work on the M8 as well)... I'm figuring I will be down to

• 21 CV
  • 24 Lux
  • 28 CV 1.9 (a nice lens, actually, though no 'cron)
  • 35 Lux ASPH
  • 50 Lux ASPH
  • 75 Lux
  • 90 Fat Elmarit

Which should give me what I want, I think, for full-frame (till I win the lotto and can add a 28 and better 90)

Never could get on with the 28 CV 1.9.

Won't you miss the 28 'cron as it's the widest lens which would work without a viewfinder on a .72 mag rangefinder (assuming that's what it has).

My firm conviction is that we will see an M7 type viewfinder.

This would be a plus for me...ability to see and focus accurately is of primary interest.

Beyond effect on used lens prices if FF M9 causes people to modify their selection, I wonder about effect on the wallets of those who went in a different direction with the M8...for instance, some who may have sold a beloved 75 cron to find a new mistress with a 24 lux.

Jeff

I was already told that the viewfinder will not be changed at all. My firm conviction is that we will see an M7 type viewfinder.

This is a reasonable assertion - the M7 (film M) type viewfinder is tried and tested, all the tooling and expertise is there, in house, and it would mean that film and digital would be sharing a key component - that would make it a most logical solution for the M9, if FF.

So, let's take this a step further. My M7 is .85 - Perhaps the M9 will bring back the .58, .72, .85 choice again. If this were to be the case I would again go straight for the .85. I bought my M7 .85 new as one of the first few in the country. The only .72 viewfinder I get on with - and still have - is the uncluttered one on my M2.

Regards,

Bill

Never could get on with the 28 CV 1.9.

Won't you miss the 28 'cron as it's the widest lens which would work without a viewfinder on a .72 mag rangefinder (assuming that's what it has).

Yes, I missed the 28 'cron as soon as I had packed it up and sold it, Jono, but I'm glad it found a great home with Tim :)

But I need something very good and fast and wide, and the 24 Elmarit is just that little bit too slow for the m8 and some of the darkness I find myself shooting in...though otherwise a gorgeous lens!

So I sold both my 24 and my 28 (and will also sell my nearly new Nocti 1,0) with the intention of replacing them with the 24 Lux. I was going for 21 Lux but that's too wide for full-frame vs the use a 24 will get.

I don't care about the framelines and VF with the 24 because I tend to work rules of thirds and not the edges (and when I absolutely need precise edges I will chimp).

So we'll see how much of a 24 I'll get in a normal full frame M9, I suspect it will be like shooting the 21 with the M8 (and I didn't use a VF for that lens).

So, let's take this a step further. My M7 is .85 - Perhaps the M9 will bring back the .58, .72, .85 choice again. If this were to be the case I would again go straight for the .85. I bought my M7 .85 new as one of the first few in the country. The only .72 viewfinder I get on with - and still have - is the uncluttered one on my M2.

Bill

I also wondered if this might happen, since I once owned 2 M7s, one with .58 and one with .85. But, if I had the choice to do it again in the M9 world, I'd opt for just .72, not just for expense reasons, but because I learned that I prefer working with one body at a time. Even better if the M9 has some sort of auto sensor cleaning to lessen the burden of switching out lenses.

Jeff

This is not correct. Leica has never designed a "crop-sensor" RF lens. Although almost all lenses perform better in the center, there are no examples that I'm aware of from Leica like the allegedly FX 70-200mm Nikkor that turned out to have very real FX coverage issues.

This is not correct. I have never said that there are "crop sensor" RF lenses. It is true that most lenses perform better in the center. What I meant to say is that the degree to which they degrade in the corners will be different. Like many others I have bought some non-Leica lenses because they could compete with Leica lenses on an M8 for a fraction of the price. With a full frame M9 this might change.

The biggest looser in a situation of a M9 FF will be the 15mm CV. But due to it's low price it's not so much money.......

I think that's right. Demand for ultra-wide-angle lenses with M-bayonet has certainly been instigated by the crop-factor of the M8. So also the WATE and the new 18-mm Elmar could find themselves on the loosing side (I was sure that there was no FF-M ahead, when i bought the Super Elmar in July....).

On the other hand I think the 135-mm lenses will loose their outsider status on a full frame digital M (whenever it will come and will have the framelines for this focal length....).

My prediction is the 28 cron, 35 Lux, 50 Lux and 90 cron will be the most desired lenses on a FF M9. Well, the 24 Lux will be as well but I am guessing the 28, 35, 50 and 90 will rise in price on the used market. Get your 50 Lux now before its too late guys!