M8 - 5D Mark II

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm confused as all h$%??!! On this forum for months there was nothing but talk of how the M8 was so superior to the 5D with clearner and truer colors and just flat out more realistic!!

Didn't the likes of Sean Reid and many other experts flat out describe the two cameras in these terms? Whats the deal is it that he didn't compare using a Leica lens on the 5d?

To me it seems maybe now with the 5d11 and D3x that maybe the magic of a weak ir filter might not be the end all be all we were lead to believe??? Hmmm. JL

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm confused as all h$%??!! On this forum for months there was nothing but talk of how the M8 was so superior to the 5D with clearner and truer colors and just flat out more realistic!!

Didn't the likes of Sean Reid and many other experts flat out describe the two cameras in these terms? Whats the deal is it that he didn't compare using a Leica lens on the 5d?

To me it seems maybe now with the 5d11 and D3x that maybe the magic of a weak ir filter might not be the end all be all we were lead to believe??? Hmmm. JL

As one who uses both the Leica M8 and Canon 5D MkII systems, I will state unequivocally that if I had to choose between the two for image quality and pleasurablility of shooting, I would select the M8 without hesitation. The only reason I have a Canon DSLR system is that there are certain photographic applications where I need to use long zooms, and that's not available with a Leica rangefinder camera.

My new 5D Mark II arrived this afternoon and before I could fully charge the battery I took this test shot at f8, ISO 800 with a ZE 50mm f1.4. I compared it to the second shot taken a few months ago using my M8 at the same aperture and probably at ISO 360 and find little significant difference. The 5D II is an improvement over the 5D in image quality -- I can tell that already -- and the ZE lens is as sharp as they come. So do I keep the M8? I have to admit that my attachment to the M8 is partly an emotional one. Using the M camera makes me feel I am part of a legacy in photography that's connected to the likes of past masters who photographed with the M system. Nothing rational about this, it is what it is. BTW my old 5D is for sale on E-Bay.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo

My new 5D Mark II arrived this afternoon and before I could fully charge the battery I took this test shot at f8, ISO 800 with a ZE 50mm f1.4. I compared it to the second shot taken a few months ago using my M8 at the same aperture and probably at ISO 360 and find little significant difference.

No offense intended, but if the second shot is using the M8 (don't know which lens), then I don't think that particular image shows its capability. Of course, screen views are hard to judge...I prefer prints for output and for comparison...but just my humble opinion.

What I think doesn't matter, though. And, if you don't see any difference, then that's all that counts. For me, however, DSLR and RF cameras are tools that serve different purposes...apart from image quality, although that's critical.

Jeff

No offense intended, but if the second shot is using the M8 (don't know which lens), then I don't think that particular image shows its capability. Of course, screen views are hard to judge...I prefer prints for output and for comparison...but just my humble opinion.

What I think doesn't matter, though. And, if you don't see any difference, then that's all that counts. For me, however, DSLR and RF cameras are tools that serve different purposes...apart from image quality, although that's critical.

Jeff

35mm Summicron ASPH on #2. No offense taken, I feel pretty confident about my work. My point is simply about image quality. Regardless, both camera types can be used for everyday portrait shots in street environments.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can hardly compare a full frame DSLR to a crop DRF, Wilfredo. Different beasts indeed. Also a 35mm lens on a crop body may well have a more or less standard FoV but it still renders like a 35mm lens, so compare it to a 50mm lens on a full frame body is not fair really. Even less so if the subject distance is longer with the 35 than with the 50.

Have you a 65mm R lens? If so it would be interesting to shoot the same subject at the same distance with this lens on your Waxon err.. Canon ;) vs the M8 with the best 50mm lens available. I bet you will hardly tell a difference as long as you shoot in B&W. Colour is another matter, there's no chance that the M8 renders like the 5D2 but you know how i feel about this and de gustibus non disputandum isn't it...

Ict,

My original question was about how the M8 and 5D Mark II compare with regards to image quality. That question has been answered for me. As you know my 5D Mark II arrived yesterday. I'm selling my old 5D.

I'm satisfied. The discussion on this thread has been helpful. My thanks to all who participated.

Just back from a week in Southeastern Alaska. Last year I took my M8 and two lenses. This year I took a 5DM2 and two lenses (which took up a much higher percentage of my 40 lb float plane weight quota).

M8: 16 gigs of images

5DM2: 40 gigs of images

M8: Minimal processing

5DM2: correction for lens distortion (WA), cropping out soft corners, fiddling with sharpness and micro-contrast to create the illusion of sharpness (apparent sharpness of M8 images was excellent with standard LR settings)

M8: Wide open with fast shutter speeds to freeze shots shot from small boats and planes

5DM2: IS helps in these conditions

M8: no video

5DM2: good video at ISO 2500 in dark places

Next year: M9!

Point,

So let me use a little reading comprehension here for a moment...

"illusion of sharpness"

So for you that means the 5D11 doesn't quite (for you) capture the truth of what your eyes see? Yes? What about the older version the 5D?

I must admitt the difference of opinion on the 5D vs M8 IQ is rather baffling- as I'm thinking that most people do tend to colors and dimentions/shapes fairly much in a similar manner? Or maybe my thought is wrong and indeed the bottom line is that our vision is all rather different- I bet there are plenty of studies on this-- ie how close ones red is to anothers version of that Rose over there....?? j

Why buy a 5DII when you can buy something much better really soon? I have owned the 5D and tested the 5DII and honestly, there is not much difference in the two for image quality. I actually think I got better results with the original and my M8 beat both of them for pur quality under ISO 1250, and yes i was shooting with an 85 1.2, 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 on the Canon.

Unless you want to print a little bigger or shoot some amazing video, I would pass on the MKII and save for something else :)

Steve I've just been through your folio and you have some of the best IQ shots that I have ever seen taken with an M8. Cracking work.

I guess that is just you. From my perspective the ZE 85mm f1.4 is comparable to the 80mm Summilux on the Canon 5D Mark II. Zeiss vs Canon 50mm 1.4? - FM Forums

CHEERS!

Wilfredo, sorry: no it isn't :) And the 50 doesn't look a bit like the 50 R Lux either: the Zeiss's are both extremely contrasty compared to their Leica counterparts.

For that matter, the Canon 50 1.2L looks more like the Leica glass than the Zeiss. But you obviously like high-contrast glass (your post-processing adds a ton more contrast too!). That's all good, but the lenses don't look the same.

I have both cameras and they are very different and should be used in different ways.

Using 160 ISO in mi Leica the quality is the same as tehe MKII but the 320 ISO in the Leica is like 4000 ISO in the MKII. In the other hand with the Leica you have a great set in a little bag and you can shot in places where the big size and proffesional look of the Canon set just shout: I´m a professional, expensive equipment you can rob me!

Really, I need and love both cameras and I´m lucky because I don´t need to choose only one... uf!

Julian

Fotógrafo en Madrid, publicidad, catálogos, fotografía Alcalá de Henares

I have both cameras and they are very different and should be used in different ways.

[...]

Really, I need and love both cameras and I´m lucky because I don´t need to choose only one... uf!

Julian

Fotógrafo en Madrid, publicidad, catálogos, fotografía Alcalá de Henares

Welcome and Amen Julian - I'm with you on this one... And with Jaap on your work - great stuff!

Wilfredo, sorry: no it isn't :) And the 50 doesn't look a bit like the 50 R Lux either: the Zeiss's are both extremely contrasty compared to their Leica counterparts.

For that matter, the Canon 50 1.2L looks more like the Leica glass than the Zeiss. But you obviously like high-contrast glass (your post-processing adds a ton more contrast too!). That's all good, but the lenses don't look the same.

I like doing environmental portraits and "real life" photography, and yes, in those situations I lean toward more rather than less contrast. I haven't had a chance to try out my new Zeiss lenses wide open on people shots but I hope to get a chance to do that soon to get a better feel for it, but regardless of what lens I shoot with, when doing people shots I almost always shoot at f5.6 or f/8, I'm not aiming for a soft look.

Here's a shot I took using the ZH 85mm the day it arrived. I like the 3D quality I get from the Zeiss lenses. This is the very dignified face of a man who makes his living sifting through garbage for a minimum wage. In situations like this, I want the character of the person to show. BTW I'm using a Leica UV filter on this lens (just to add a tinge of that Leica touch to the glass, LOL;-).

Cheers

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo