Sign in to follow this  
wilfredo

M8 - 5D Mark II

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff,

I have to admit that I too prefer the look of the M8 files to any DSLR, I would like to see more 5D Mark II files, especially B&W shots of people.

Wilfredo, may I recommend some of my recent work to you:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/3731948753_6e217120d3_b.jpg

If you have the time, you can flip through the last couple of pages of my flickr stream, almost all of which consists of B+W portraiture with the 5D MkII.

The M8 was my digital workhorse for two-plus years, but since buying the Canon I've hardly used it. You started this thread with a query about file quality. I think the Canon is way ahead of the Leica in multiple regards, starting with IQ and file quality. I came to the new Canon as a skeptic and was astounded.

By the way, I use nothing but primes on it - vintage, non-Canon primes for the most part, including an incredible Pentax Takumar 50 1.4 and an Olympus Zuiko 24, which is both sweet and tiny. With these lenses aboard not only do I get great optical results but for my street work, the camera is far, far less obtrusive than it would be with most Canon lenses, particularly the zooms.

Would you mind to post a 100% crop of this pic? I'd like to check if the somewhat waxy look of your subject's skin is just a feeling of mine or if the 5D2 is really unable to render skin pores accurately.

In all fairness I don't think it's a matter of waxy skin from the 5D2, but more a matter of soft focus which can also happen with the M8 or any camera. The content is full of humanity and that is conveyed very well in this portrait. Howard, thanks for sharing!

Edited by wilfredo

Guest stnami

hmmmmmmmnnn ............. interesting so God wasn't a Leica shooter after all, it was just a German pagan myth.

hmmmmmmmnnn ............. interesting so God wasn't a Leica shooter after all, it was just a German pagan myth.

That all depends on the eye of the shooter... whose eye is ultimately doing the shooting?

In all fairness I don't think it's a matter of waxy skin from the 5D2, but more a matter of soft focus which can also happen with the M8 or any camera...

I've done some 5D2 tests already, only with jpegs though. Each time i've got more or less skins loosing their pores and lips shining like chicken grease giving portraits a plasticky touch that i don't like personally so i decided to purchase a 5D instead of a 5D2 for my R lenses. But i still wonder if 5D2 raws are any better. You might be interested by discussions we had on Guy's site last year: Canon 5D Mark II - Page 3 - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've done some 5D2 tests already, only with jpegs though. Each time i've got more or less skins loosing their pores and lips shining like chicken grease giving portraits a plasticky touch that i don't like personally so i decided to purchase a 5D instead of a 5D2 for my R lenses. But i still wonder if 5D2 raws are any better. You might be interested by discussions we had on Guy's site last year: Canon 5D Mark II - Page 3 - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

If I read those post correctly. Original discussion was Sept 2008, 2 months before actual release of camera. Discussion was based on some pre-release jpegs. Your going to have to do much better than that.

Skin tones... For what it's worth, I shot kids at a swimming pool for one of my real estate developer clients. There are many images of kids showing a wide range of skin tones shot under harsh sunlight and also some under softer light. So you can see how the 5DII worked for me. I liked them kind of snappy and saturated for this purpose.

Here's a link to them:

Clarksburg Village pool - Images | PhotoShelter

Here's one of my favorites:

Skin tones... For what it's worth, I shot kids at a swimming pool for one of my real estate developer clients. There are many images of kids showing a wide range of skin tones shot under harsh sunlight and also some under softer light. So you can see how the 5DII worked for me. I liked them kind of snappy and saturated for this purpose.

Here's a link to them:

Clarksburg Village pool - Images | PhotoShelter

Here's one of my favorites:

But look at what you had to do to give the kid blue eyes!

If I read those post correctly. Original discussion was Sept 2008, 2 months before actual release of camera. Discussion was based on some pre-release jpegs. Your going to have to do much better than that.

To do what for what? Just asking questions and waiting for usefull responses if any. Any 5D2 pic to show me decent skin rendition?

Alan,

I'm wondering what lenses you used for these shots. The skin looks very smooth, hardly any texture in them. I suspect this is what Ict calls waxy skin. Do you use any R lenses with your 5D II?

Edited by wilfredo

These are young kids with very smooth skin and the photos are pretty small. I used the 24-105 and 100-400. There is fill flash on some. And I am using DXO which does noise reduction, sharpening and some fill light too. I could probably make the skin look different ways, especially if I used C1 and reduced the saturation a bit.

I like this look for these photos but if you and other don't you don't. That's fine.

Edited by AlanG

These are young kids with very smooth skin and the photos are pretty small. I used the 24-105 and 100-400. There is fill flash on some. And I am using DXO which does noise reduction, sharpening and some fill light too. I could probably make the skin look different ways, especially if I used C1 and reduced the saturation a bit.

I like this look for these photos but if you and other don't you don't. That's fine.

Alan,

These photos are fine. We all have different tastes. I have a bad habit of comparing CMOS digital files to M8 CCD files, but that's just my own personal taste, we are all different. I've become pretty good at post processing CMOS images to have a Leica feel and can't wait to try this on the 5D II. If I can get my hands on an R lens, probably an 80mm lens, even better. Thank you for sharing your work.

To do what for what? Just asking questions and waiting for usefull responses if any. Any 5D2 pic to show me decent skin rendition?

Since you asked...

This image was shot with my 5D MkII this morning while the man was testifying before a Senate committee. Lighting was hideous--mostly yellowish fluorescent with a bit of cloudy daylight from windows. ISO was 2500. The second image is a 100% crop.

Would you have young ladies per chance?

Edit: If i shoot my mother in law you will see her pores even with the worst P&S ha ha! Just kidding

Edited by lct

Well done. I meant did you shoot young ladies by chance?

I'll go on a hunt. Shouldn't take too long to find a volunteer.

Here is a B&W. All images shoot w/ Zeiss 85mm, f5.6 ISO 200, this image 1/125, previous 1/200

Cherrs