M8 - 5D Mark II

wilfredo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I changed my 5D for a 5D mkII some time ago but hardy used it with the lenses I had. The M8 remained my primary camera due to superb image quality (thanks to a set of lenses selected and calibrated carefully over the last 3 years).

Now I have my first new generation Canon lens (a 85mm/1.2 II) and the M8 rests on the shelf sitting idle. I am truly amazed with the image quality of this Canon set but you need new glass. Have to get used to autofocus again! :)

Guest stnami

.......another ad nauseam thread with the usual preconceived predictable result.

Surely the poster who has been on this forum for quite a period of time knows better than posting this comparing speckled goats with black and tan goats type of thread. As his allies are biased to the speckled variety the usual bun fight will ensure with the black and tan mob. .......and of course someone will bring in the usual feral variety.

Edited by stnami

.......another ad nauseam thread with the usual preconceived predictable result.

Surely the poster who has been on this forum for quite a period of time knows better than posting this comparing speckled goats with black and tan goats type of thread, when he is biased to the speckled variety.

...ah, but it is August, my friend - silly season.:D

I changed my 5D for a 5D mkII some time ago but hardy used it with the lenses I had. The M8 remained my primary camera due to superb image quality (thanks to a set of lenses selected and calibrated carefully over the last 3 years).

Now I have my first new generation Canon lens (a 85mm/1.2 II) and the M8 rests on the shelf sitting idle. I am truly amazed with the image quality of this Canon set but you need new glass. Have to get used to autofocus again! :)

If that's the kind of result you are getting with a Canon L series lens, I suspect an R lens would render truly excellent results on the new 5D Mark II.

Edited by wilfredo

There could be something a bit serious behind this - I was thinking about a post asking "What shoot? Which system?" I currently use M8u / M8.2 and 5D / 5D2, but I use them for different jobs.

recent work which depended on the M8 include nearly all travel photography I do (Personal work), and a lot of documentary work for clients (King's Place - community outreach programme). However, I wouldn't want to be restricted to DRF for all circumstances. Although it's amazing how flexible the M8 is, it doesn't cover all the bases for me. I'd really have hated having to do some of the performance work that I carry out without the Canons - (e.g. Kordian or JULIA HÜLSMANN TRIO). While I will often mix the two systems (as in the ECM shoot - frequently carrying an M8 + 28 cron and a 5D + 85 1.2), there are also many occasions when not having a wide zoom or a reliable, autofocus telephoto would have been crippling (e.g. Wyzwolenie - próby)

So - it's not a "which is better question" at all - but a "What shoot? / Which system". I'm planning two projects in September / October. One will be the documentation of a three day arts festival at King's Place in London (Kings Place Festival 2009 | Kings Place) when I'll be using the Canon's for concerts / spoken word work where I'm restricted to the back of the hall (probably using 300 L 2.8 and 70/200 L 2.8 most of the time) + Leica for close work during rehearsal / sound check. Another will be the documentation of the final stages of "As You Like It" at Teatr Polski in Warsaw - and again, the Leica will be there for the rehearsals, and the Canon's will come out when I'm shooting the performance mostly from a balcony...

I'd be interested to hear how other people plan their work and what has proved to be essential kit. As a final note, looking back over exif, the key tools for me remain:

Leica = 28 cron asph with 135 Apo Telyt a surprising contender for second place alongside the 75 cron asph

DSLR (Canon) = 85 1.2 L (1st series) / 16-35 2.8 L / 70-200 2.8 L

Best...

Edited by chris_tribble

The speckled 5D2 shoots bigger files due to its higher MPixels but in all honesty this is the stills difference between Mk1 & 2 - and it is still very different to the black & tan M8.

I own MkI & 2 5Ds and the real reason that I do so is because of the video capability of the Mk2 not because of its higher MPixels (which I honestly reckon to be lens limited). I am shooting the majority of a tv program on the 5D2 which is why I bought it. I have 24-85 prime L glass (all MkI versions) which is I think is pushed on the 5D2.

Stnami is right though - different beasts, different applications. If ,on the other hand wilfredo, you want to know whether to upgrade your 5D then I'd say that unless you are interested in video capability or buying the latest glass to accompany a MkII, then its not going to dramatically improve anything nor change your current situation.

Yes, I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the 5D Mark II for the higher pixel and low noise resolution many are boasting about but if it is not a significant improvement over the 5D what would be the point? I'm not a pro so I'm not after a work tool for a living. At the end of the day image quality is what I'm after and hence my simple question. The M8 is for me the benchmark, and I really couldn't care less about the red dot. I appreciate that some of you have shed some light on this. This helps me to make a decision.

I value the views of many forum members and their experience with equipment.

Thank You!

Why buy a 5DII when you can buy something much better really soon? I have owned the 5D and tested the 5DII and honestly, there is not much difference in the two for image quality. I actually think I got better results with the original and my M8 beat both of them for pur quality under ISO 1250, and yes i was shooting with an 85 1.2, 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 on the Canon.

Unless you want to print a little bigger or shoot some amazing video, I would pass on the MKII and save for something else :)

At the end of the day image quality is what I'm after and hence my simple question.

Wilfredo - a VERY big question is always "What lens are you putting on the body?" If the lens isn't up to it, then no matter how good the sensor, you're not going got get the IQ that you're chasing...

IF you have top end L series glass then the 5D2 may give you a marginal advantage, but IMHO it's only marginal. The extra pixels are kind of nice - but they're also a real hassle when it comes to image processing time and storage unless you've also got serious computing equipment too...

My advice would always be invest in glass. If you've got $3500 to spend and your only lens is a 17-40 then I'd recommend sticking with the 5D and looking around for an 85mm 1.2L ($1550 at Amazon) + a 35 1.4L ($1399). This will REALLY make a difference to your photos.

I actually think I got better results with the original and my M8 beat both of them for pur quality under ISO 1250, and yes i was shooting with an 85 1.2, 50 1.2 and 35 1.4 on the Canon.

Steve - fully agree - up to 640 / 800 then the Leica is a winner (unless you need long lenses). Over 640 I'd feel a bit vulnerable for available light work if I only had Leica and I was doing paid client work. For fine art, Leica at 2500 has a lot going for it - but magazines and clients aren't always convinced...:)

Yes, I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the 5D Mark II for the higher pixel and low noise resolution many are boasting about but if it is not a significant improvement over the 5D what would be the point? I'm not a pro so I'm not after a work tool for a living. At the end of the day image quality is what I'm after and hence my simple question. The M8 is for me the benchmark, and I really couldn't care less about the red dot. I appreciate that some of you have shed some light on this. This helps me to make a decision.

I value the views of many forum members and their experience with equipment.

Thank You!

have you tried the D3x? beats the 5Dmark ii in all respects except price.

p

In my tests, I see increased detail from all of my lenses in the 5DII vs. the 5D. (Perhaps they have to be used on a tripod and stopped down somewhat for this to be apparent.) At f8 the 5DII and lowly 50mm 1.8 lens significantly out-resolved the 35 Summicon on an M8 and the same 50mm lens on the 5D. Shooting carefully controlled tests with various lenses wide open is something others will need to do.

The 5DII brought a lot of improvements over the original model besides a higher pixel count... Better low light capability, better battery life, live view, movie mode, a much better LCD to the point that I hate trying to look at the original screen in bright light, dust shaker - which has worked very well for me, faster continuous shooting rate, micro focus adjustment, 98% viewfinder, some weather sealing, three sizes of raw files and lots more.

I mostly use the 5DII and only use the 5D for jobs where maximum resolution is not important just to keep it in service. When I use the original 5D, I clearly feel that it is an earlier less refined version, although still pretty nice.

Edited by AlanG

There could be something a bit serious behind this - I was thinking about a post asking "What shoot? Which system?" I currently use M8u / M8.2 and 5D / 5D2, but I use them for different job.

I have to agree w/ Chris. For me it really depends on the project/job. I shoot w/ M's, but also w/ Canon 5D mkII, and also w/ Canon 1D mkIII. All lenses L glass. My 5D is probably my most underused body, but cannot complain about the results. It is most impressive at higher ISO, and equally as good at the lower range. Unlike some I do not see the results as waxy or plastic. If you already own a 5D, is it worth the upgrade? If you are prone to dust on the sensor (as I am) and if you want/need higher ISO capabilities than it is a worthwhile change.

I know very little about Nikons, and with a range of L glass from 14mm to 600mm my investment in Canon is far to great to ever consider a change. I might add that the same would apply to DRF, if another system were introduced tomorrow w/ a different mount, I would not be interested since my investment in Leica is to great.

Cheers

I know very little about Nikons, and with a range of L glass from 14mm to 600mm my investment in Canon is far to great to ever consider a change. I might add that the same would apply to DRF, if another system were introduced tomorrow w/ a different mount, I would not be interested since my investment in Leica is to great.

Peter - have to agree there. Also re your comments on "waxy" 5D or 5D2 images. I've printed some of the images linked below - they all sing. I know it's silly to compare things on a computer screen - but I don't think any of these say "crappy digital"...

Dino Saluzzi & Anja Lechner

Marcin Wasilewski Trio

09_21_Hue-0013

Kordian

I hope they say "photograph". Unless I go back to the exif I can't remember which camera I was using on a lot of these...

Best...