M8 - 5D Mark II

wilfredo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The color pic looks somewhat waxy again. Greasy skin perhaps and/or Canon lens? Would you have a 100% crop?

Oily complexion, Zeiss lens. Here is a color w/ Canon lens f5.6 at 1/30 sec ISO 320.

This will have to do.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

....(Personal work), work for (King's Place - community outreach programme). However, I wouldn't want to be restricted to DRF for all circumstances. Although it's amazing how flexible the M8 is, it doesn't cover all the bases for me. I'd really have hated having to do some of the performance work that I carry out without the Canons - (e.g. Kordian or JULIA HÜLSMANN TRIO). While I will often mix the two systems (as in the ECM shoot - frequently carrying an M8 + 28 cron and a 5D + 85 1.2), there are also many occasions when not having a wide zoom or a reliable, autofocus telephoto would have been crippling (e.g. Wyzwolenie - próby)

So - it's not a "which is better question" at all - but a "What shoot? / Which system". I'm planning two projects in September / October. One will be the documentation of a three day arts festival at King's Place in London (Kings Place Festival 2009 | Kings Place) when I'll be using the Canon's for concerts / spoken word work where I'm restricted to the back of the hall (probably using 300 L 2.8 and 70/200 L 2.8 most of the time) + Leica for close work during rehearsal / sound check. Another will be the documentation of the final stages of "As You Like It" at Teatr Polski in Warsaw - and again, the Leica will be there for the rehearsals, and the Canon's will come out when I'm shooting the performance mostly from a balcony...

Best...

Hi Chris,

Nice job Chris and thank you for links.

The photos of China are they taken with M8?

and the photos of France ?

M 135 apo is a very good optics according to me !

For photos of concerts M8 is more discreet than Canon isn't ?

Regards

Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From this afternoon with the 5D MkII...

I have a couple of theories about this. First, let me explain I'm not doing the hoo rah rah thing for Canon. If I was able to I'd never shoot with anything but my Leica M systems, but there are times when I need the Canons for a variety of reasons.

There could be a couple of explanations: One is that some people actually do have an oily sheen to their skin. When I photographed this young lady this afternoon, I paid particular attention to what her skin actually looked like and I think the 5D MkII gave a pretty good representation. The other thing to consider is that a lot of women use a make-up base, and that could account for the waxy appearance when images are blown up to the magnitude these are. The only way to make a really good test would be to ask the person to wash their face and thoroughly dry it before doing the shoot. Then I think you'd get a more definitive answer.

When I photographed this young lady this afternoon, I paid particular attention to what her skin actually looked like

And, I wonder if she ever envisioned having her skin viewed this close up by so many people around the world:eek:

Jeff

Since you asked...

This image was shot with my 5D MkII this morning while the man was testifying before a Senate committee. Lighting was hideous--mostly yellowish fluorescent with a bit of cloudy daylight from windows. ISO was 2500. The second image is a 100% crop.

I missed this one. I can hardly believe this was shot at ISO 2500, where's the noise? Skin texture looks very good, not at all "waxy" IMHO.

And, I wonder if she ever envisioned having her skin viewed this close up by so many people around the world:eek:

Jeff

She did, and didn't mind. I told her why I was doing the portrait.

Leica lens?

Canon 50mm 1.2 L, sort of the current Canon version of the Noctilux. Here's one wide open.

Oily carnations with a bit of wax added by the camera. Not my tastes decidedly. I prefer the A900 or the D3 with Zeiss lenses but it's just me.

I guess that is just you. From my perspective the ZE 85mm f1.4 is comparable to the 80mm Summilux on the Canon 5D Mark II. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/805090

CHEERS!

I missed this one. I can hardly believe this was shot at ISO 2500, where's the noise? Skin texture looks very good, not at all "waxy" IMHO.

Not much noise in the 5D Mk II until you get up into the ISO stratosphere. That's one of the main reasons I bought them.