best scanner for 35mm negatives

ryee3

If you are only ever going to scan 35mm, then buy a dedicated 35mm film scanner, not a flatbed with a tranny adapter. The flatbed will never be as good as a dedicated film scanner. If you can afford a Nikon 9000, go for it, as stocks are dwindling; this will do MF as well as 35mm. For 35mm only, you could get a Nikon 5000 or an used Minolta 5400 (hooked up to Vuescan software).

Charlie

Get the Nikon. I have a Minolta 5400 and frankly I'm very sad that production on this fine unit was discontinued several years ago being a casualty of the Minolta-Sony merger. I accidentally dropped mine and it has been in limbo since May (!) due to UPS damaging it everytime it gets returned from the repair shop! I hope to have it going again in Sept. but I'm not holding my breath.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

T:)hanks for all the replies. Now Nikon it is! Any specifics about the 5000 vs the 9000 in terms of the quality and rapidity of the scanning.

There was a thread that says Nikon will no longer be supporting the future of these scanners. Can anyone confirm this? Is that because a new line will come out?

I have the 5000 and it's just great. As far as I know (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the quality and resolution isn't different between the 5000 and the 9000. The 9000 being able to scan medium format is the main difference.

I got the 5000 thinking I'd never be scanning MF film, but a year later I found myself with a Hasselblad 501/CM in my hands, wishing I had chosen the 9000. So, if you think there's a chance you're going to get into MF, then get the 9000. Otherwise, the 5000 is great.

I'm curious about the EPSON for MF scanning though, I know it's not going to be the same, but it's a huge price difference, and if the quality is OK, then I might just go for it. My major concern is dynamic range not as much as resolution...

cheers

An epson will do fine for web and 5x7 prints or to scan prints. Perhaps to 8x 10 from scanning negs. I would buy a Nikon today for best 35mm scanning at a reasonable price. Plus Tech is what you get after the nikons disappear. Given all kinds of money and time, a drum scanner.

I have a KM5400 original and it is superb. I also have an Epson that does suprisingly well, but it is behind the KM 5400.

Microtek Artiscan 120 tf. Does 35mm and MF up to 6X9. It is too bead that Microtek dropped all of their scanners. Mine can do 5 at a time. It's a bit slow and noisy but does an excellent job. Slides, mounted or otherwise and negs.

IAs far as I know (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the quality and resolution isn't different between the 5000 and the 9000. The 9000 being able to scan medium format is the main difference.

There is a theoretical difference in dynamic range between the two (12 vs14 bit, or something like that - I forget), but a Swedish site did a comparison between the two and found no practical difference.

I've been very happy with my 5000, btw.

Sandy

I have both the Nikon 5000 and the 8000 (early 9000). The 5000 is MUCH faster than the 8000. The 9000 I have heard is faster than the 8000, but I doubt it would match the 5000 for speed, which does become important. For that reason, I am considering selling my 8000 to upgrade to the 9000.

If you are only considering scanning 35mm, go the Nikon 5000 without hesitation.

Depends on what you define "best" as. I find the Epson V700 to be "best" for me... It scans 135 and 120 with outstanding quality, especially if using betterscanning.com holders. It scans prints. Office and personal documents. It's even pretty fast. Best part is, for around $400 new. Meets all my needs and is the best value in my eyes.

Erl:

Am I correct in thinking that the 5000 doesn't scan to the edges of a 35mm neg? I need to get the edge as a keyline. For this reason I'm looking at the 9000.

Cheers, P.

Phc, My experience with the 5000 is that it does NOT scan beyond the exposed frame. However, you might try this site for a workaround. Nikon CoolScan 8000 & 9000 - 35mm Panoramic, Xpan, 24x65, 24x56, 24x48, 24x36, 28x28

Check out the 'more info' PDF. I think it may have a solution for you. Otherwise, 9000. :mad:

Depends on what you define "best" as. I find the Epson V700 to be "best" for me... It scans 135 and 120 with outstanding quality, especially if using betterscanning.com holders. It scans prints. Office and personal documents. It's even pretty fast. Best part is, for around $400 new. Meets all my needs and is the best value in my eyes.

I agree with you !

I lost during a move a part of my negative and slides.

fortunately some photos stayed

I have these photos (coming from slides) therefore scanned with a V700 (example here in 1200 dpi 24 bits)

here one of these photos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm waiting to find a good secondhand 9000 for a good price. It can scan over the edge of a 35mm neg!

Used 5000's are selling for less than $200 under street price. I'm not sure about 9000's as there are less out there but I suspect it's the same.

I just picked up a 5000 from my local dealer for $1110. For more than $900, I could have purchased one without a warrenty. Didn't sound good to me.

With Nikon exiting the scanner market, there are no deals I could find anywhere.-Dick

snipped

With Nikon exiting the scanner market, ...............-Dick

Any further info on this comment? I'm interested to be aware since I'm possibly in the market for a new 9000. Thanks.