Do you print your photographs?

delander †

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A definite YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't be taking pictures. I share/sell my pics, so I really need to print. My family gets about 1/2 of my pics. I have 6 kids, and 16 grandkids, and they enjoy prints. Less than 1% of my pics go to the web, and usually they are only posted on forums like this.

Believe it or not, some people still have print albums.

• 11 years later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think prints (from a good printer) look better than on the screen.  I have an Epson R2400 that is still plodding along.  It stopped once when it said the waste ink receptacle was full but I found an Epson software program to reset that and we are back in business.  I just don't clean the print head as much as I used to.  I try to print with it at least once a week to keep it's juices flowing.  

Printing is probably my favorite part of the entire photographic process. It is what I am consciously working towards in the capture and editing phases.

I print on an Epson P800 using the ImagePrint driver. The IP paper profiles, which include specific grayscale profiles, are excellent, and the program allows for soft proofing even of grayscale images. It's expensive, but far less so than Leica cameras and lenses.

Edited by robgo2

Yes, I print...... To me viewing  one's images solely onscreen / online is totally pointless.

Shooting as if my cameras still had only 36 exposures, ( which half of them do anyway ), I print maybe one in every fifty images made and if I am happy with it that's the file I keep, binning the rest. I can't stand having thousands of digital image files the vast majority of which I'd never look at again, so winnowing down rigorously is the name of the game. Getting rid of the stuff that doesn't work helps with focussing on where I want to go with my personal work, honing my approach I guess.

I print to an Epson P800 for full colour work, ( using UK's Marrutt papers and refillable ink-sets...excellent! ), and recently I turned my old but still great Epson 3800 Pro printer over to B&W printing using Jon Cole's Piezography Pro inks. I'll be taking a Piezography Pro workshop here in SW France next month to learn more about the process and techniques, but right now even stumbling around with the new printing system the results are just wonderful.

Edited by petermullett