Do you print your photographs?

delander †

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How many M8 users actually print their photographs, particularly at large sizes such as A3+ or A2 (or US equivalents such as 13x19)? For me working in photoshop, getting image sizing and sharpening to my taste, choosing different papers, getting the colour profiles correct and making a final large print has become a most enjoyable and creative part of the whole process.

To see how it looks printed (large) - that's what completes the process.

Jeff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a considerable amount of printing--generally 13x19. That's been the core of most of the artwork we have hanging in our home and in the homes of several relatives and friends. When I have a shot I like, I get a great deal of enjoyment out of giving large prints to friends and family members. You are right--the print is are what completes the process.

Edited by fotografr

It's all about the print for me...a carryover from my long time darkroom work. But, A4 size is fine for me, just like it was for most of the photographers I admire and collect...before big became the cool thing (and long after large plate photography died).

Jeff

I do smaller prints of pretty much everything I shoot that's personal work and then print 11x14" (wish I could get inkjet paper in that size, cutting down from 11x17 gets tiresome) in batches when I get to the end of a series or theme. Sometimes I print everything out at 13x19", but if it's not going to be exhibited 11x14 suits me.

Owning an M8 (or a DSLR, etc.) for personal use is pointless unless you print. Obviously, professionals have reasons why they might not need to print, but a P&S will do the job for e-mail attachments and posting on the Web.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Owning an M8 (or a DSLR, etc.) for personal use is pointless unless you print. Obviously, professionals have reasons why they might not need to print, but a P&S will do the job for e-mail attachments and posting on the Web.

I happen to have been printing this afternoon, but I have to take issue with the generalisation expressed enough. Printing apart I actually get a great deal of satisfaction from looking at images on the screen at all magnifications, not just ones intended for email or web posting.

I wouldn't say it was the most enjoyable part but I like what I see after the print is done.

I don't fool to much with different profiles, other then the correct ones for the paper I'm using. What I want in the print is what I see on my screen or something better. But as far as color prints I want them to match my screen.

For me, using a HP B9180, Win XP Pro, PS CS4 and mostly Red River papers, I let the printer manage the colors and just select the correct paper type. Comes out great every time. Everytime I have tried to let PS manage the colors something is off. So just gave up on that.

Recently I've been using Qimage for printing and I still let the printer manage the colors but Qimage sends images to the printer in it's native resolution and the prints I've been getting are just spectacular.

I've only printed 150+ image with this printer, but it is the 4th or 5th B9180 I've had, and I'm not sure how many prints got run through the previous printers I've had. I would estimate about 500-600 prints total.

So yes I print my images.

Edited by Shootist

I don't print much but I have done a couple of 30x20" and agree it is incredibly satisfying.

By the way, digital photo frames - not the cheap ones - are slowly starting to impress me as well, although not as substitute for prints.

I happen to have been printing this afternoon, but I have to take issue with the generalisation expressed enough. Printing apart I actually get a great deal of satisfaction from looking at images on the screen at all magnifications, not just ones intended for email or web posting.

Steve,

I agree that what I said is a bit of hyperbole, and I also enjoy viewing my photos on screen. However, I never consider the process complete until I've printed the selects.

Larry

No question, printing provides an entirely different experience, is much tougher on the photographer and, IMHO, is critical to appreciating the optical/aesthetic quality of an M8.

I'm fortunate to have many walls at work on which to display the end result, though framing costs are not trivial (trivial, though, in comparison to the Epson 9600 I covet -- currently using an Epson 3800). Would love to hear experiences of those printing > A3.

Stefan

I bought an epson 3800 and really love printing with it, love to have the print as an object in my hands. It's been especially satisfying printing black and white. color has been trickier to get a handle on, but since I started using Moab Colorado Satin, I'm much happier with the results. When printing black and white I do it right from Lightroom, for color I use photoshop to proof. The other papers I've settled on are Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White and Harmon Gloss FB AI. I print first on 8.5 x 11 and if I like the photo, I'll print larger, but usually not bigger than 13x19.

YES - love to print, have a old epson 2200 which is still working just fine.

Me too, still working fine. Slightly amazed at that. Though I'm tempted to get a 3800 to reduce waste from all the ink cartridges I go through on the 2200 -- just find it hard to stomach all that plastic waste, even if it gets recycled.

I do print many of my pictures, but I disagree that its pointless to use an advanced camera unles you print. You can have a lot of joy from got photos without necessarily having to print them.

Sounds a bit like "shooting film is pointless if you only shoot with transparency film"...

If some people are happy with viewing their pictures on a digital media, they are happy with that. I have friends who have invested heavily in screens in order to be able to show their pictures without having to print every picture they want to show others.