Rumour and Ratio

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been reading all of these M9 rumor threads here and there. I wish I could bring up another possible clue for the rumor...

So... who is selling your M8x at this point? I might as well sell mine now before the resale price goes south in a hurry as I cannot afford another digital M without selling my current M8c. If the forthcoming digital M'9' met my minimum expectations, e.g., full frame sensor, high ISO performance (say ISO2560 as good as the current ISO640), I would buy one. If it did not, well I would stick with my 'full frame' film Ms for now.

m

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seal was in Madrid for a concert a few days ago. I was told he was in Fotocasión, the larger photo shop here, in Madrid. I don't know if Seal knows something, but the owner of Fotocasión thinks the ff M9 will be presented in September... I think he is wrong.

Seal will be in NYC, Sept. 9th, 09 @ 0900 hrs. together with Leica...Fact!:)

But it does mean that you have the advantage of a bigger 'sweet spot' coverage on the smaller sensor than you would on a larger sensor. So, it's all a case of swings and roundabouts. :)

Nicole, the issue here is that if a lens were allowed to be the same size and were optimised for a smaller field of view then it would absolutely be possible for it to have an even better performance. Leica have in this sense not "optimised" their lenses to the M8 format. No reason why they should if their eventual aim is a FF digital M.

All this talk about the M9 is based on a typo people.

On 09.09.09 Leica wil anounce the M09, which is a rebadged Panasonic Micro Four thirds model!

Well, I wouldn't be suprised if they announce a rebadged Panasonic Four thirds model with Leica lenses, but not with the name M9, though.

For whatever it is worth, the following quote comes from the Leica Financial Statement, dated August 6, on their website.

" . . In the Photo product group we have identified as an opportunity for profitable growth a

substantial extension of our portfolio of new digital system cameras – among them the Leica

S2 model presented at last year’s photokina. . . . "

According to the same financial statement Leica compact camera sales were higher than system cameras. Interesting . . . .

For whatever it is worth, the following quote comes from the Leica Financial Statement, dated August 6, on their website.

" . . In the Photo product group we have identified as an opportunity for profitable growth a

substantial extension of our portfolio of new digital system cameras – among them the Leica

S2 model presented at last year’s photokina. . . . "

According to the same financial statement Leica compact camera sales were higher than system cameras. Interesting . . . .

The financial statement also said all of this (originally posted in another thread):

It seems to me that the following paragraphs (my italics) from the annual report cover much of what has been discussed on the forum over the past couple of weeks.

"The cooperation agreements with the well-known international

company Matsushita for its »Panasonic« brand have been rat -

ified in fiscal 2006/2007 and continue in force without change.

The agreements embrace digital video cameras and digital

cameras. Both partners add their respective know-how and

create real synergies in manufacturing cutting edge digital

products.

The Company has entered into further alliances for the

development of new products."

"Accordingly, in fiscal year 2009/2010 Leica will supplement its portfolio by intro-

ducing several new products and support it with new system

solutions. In the lenses range the Company has already mar-

keted new products and has further products in the planning.

With its analogue and digital system cameras Leica

Camera Group is to gain a solid position in the upper market

segment. The Company plans, in cooperation with a partner,

to supplement its portfolio in the medium and upper price

segments by digital compact cameras, thereby increasing its

share in the market. There are initial prototype projects tar -

get ing further market segments for high-grade lenses."

"For all product lines marketing and sales are uncompro -

misingly geared towards the upper price segment. Structures

are being adjusted, and the Company presses ahead with the

implementation of the Top Dealer Concept, as well as the har-

monisation of prices."

"The process of manufacture will be optimised with spe-

cial attention to the »Made in Germany« label. The German

business location is strengthening its assembly and develop-

ment capabilities. The Portuguese location is further optimised

for its role as a supplier of parts and components for Leica

Camera Group."

".....further alliances...", just think what could be read into that statement.........

Edited by stevelap

German law may be different, but Steve Jobs has the tendency to walk out on the platform at the big Mac fest with a new product in his hand (remember the inner-office envelope and the Mac Air?) and the products are available within days...Apple is proud of the fact that there are no leaks. I don't know why a company would have to announce a new product before it is ready to ship, giving rivals a chance to rubbish it before it's even available...

However, I still doubt that an M9 is imminent. We could get some other product (I would have guessed a Leica-branded 4/3 if that idea hadn't been specifically denied by Leica a few weeks ago) or simply an announcement. The M8.2 was such a lame upgrade that I think that was the last grunt on the M8...I doubt that they are any longer worrying about crippling M8 sales. So, if they've essentially solved the FF problem, and are preparing the M9 for production, why not announce, as they did with the S2? That really seems to be part of the Leica pattern; that's what they did with both the M8 and S2.

Dealers, especially the salesmen, as opposed to the owners, are just as susceptible to rumors as anyone else.

I could very well be wrong, but I see an announcement.

JC

Having spoken to all the UK dealers (who won't officially confirm anything) I think there are some logical conclusions:

1) there will be a new camera announced in September

2) if it is FF then September will bring an announcement only with the FF camera not delivered until late 2010

3) if it is still a crop sensor 1.3x then it could be delivered by Xmas as it will not be too radically different from the M8.2 just offerring more modern processing, LCD etc.

4) If it is not FF Leica's Market will be more limited to new adopters of a digital M so expect to see more 'idiot proof' features like the 'S' mode and perhaps live view if it's possible. If the suggested price of circa 5000 euro is accurate then it is being marketed at wealthy non professionals. I believe most people who own and love their M8 may pay 5000 euro for a FF body but would think twice about another cropped one. I for one will simply wait for the FF.

Of course there are exceptions and I'm sure many in the forum will buy a new cropped body simply to get better ISO etc. but most Leica owners will need a fundamental change to get them to buy one - and this can only be FF.

I'd say that considering what has been hinted at, that your reasoning is quite sound, and that 3) is a likely option. Pardon me, but I didn't notice this post until now, and have meanwhile started a thread on this (alternative 3).

OK, I spoke with Seal last night and the big announcement relates to Leica getting into the recording business... Sorry folks, no M9... :D

I can absolutely confirm this. Leica and Seal will be joining forces to create a solution to copyright violation in the recording industry. The new venture will be known as Leicadelic Records' and it's main differentiating factor from other conventional record companies will be that it intends giving away a free M9 to customers who buy all of Seal's back catalog...Fact!

i start to believe the M9 rumor now. today i got another high-level confirmation and my consequent preorder was accepeted in vienna without hesitation, with the delivery price of 5500.-euro (september delivery). hard to believe that both my source and dealer are misinformed.

so, now i hope for focus confirmation, CMOS sensor with live view and HD video---)))). ok, i know i shall not get video, but please focus confirmation and live view...if not live view then PLEASE at least focus conf..

peter

ps: yes, i sold all my M gear, but a FF M9 is going to win me over, maybe this time only three lenses, 24 35 90 summis...

I can absolutely confirm this. Leica and Seal will be joining forces to create a solution to copyright violation in the recording industry. The new venture will be known as Leicadelic Records' [...]

That would mean that we can expect dozens of threads that feature a discussion of either 'analog vs. digital in music'

or

'does a 12k record player really make me a better musician?'

or

'I want a fullsize Leicadelic...'.

Oh wait a minute....:D