Does a digital M have a useable life span of more than two years?

Jeff Day

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you plan to buy an M8 or M8.2, the (possible) arrival of a full frame M9 will render them obsolete soon or late.

Why does that have to be so? An M8/8.2, with all the available M glass, will continue to make great pictures regardless of the M9 or M99. Not to mention other DSLR brands have both FF and non-FF cameras in their lineup and continue to roll out both types.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since when did being "obsolete" matter to Leica users? Every rangefinder Leica since the M4 has been obsolete in comparison to the competition in professional system cameras. The R line became obsolete around the days of the R5.

It's ridiculous to worry about such things. If you like the results you are getting who cares what else is out there?

Why does that have to be so? An M8/8.2, with all the available M glass, will continue to make great pictures regardless of the M9 or M99....

Same for any camera no? but as soon as you get your M9, if any, the M8 will remain more and more on the shelf i bet. FF makes a serious difference actually. I don't use much my crop DSLRs now that i have a FF and i expect the same for my dear old R-D1s although i pretty much doubt if the M9 will allow me to shoot both eyes open like the latters.

I could not imagine letting go of my "main" M8. I might sell my secondary body -maybe- if and when the M9 comes. But the M8 will remain in my hands. I still have my Digilux2, and happy to too. I use it regularly and would class if far above "unusable" In fact it is as good as the day I bought it, which is pretty darn good. See Thorsten Overgaard's website.

I ten years time people will be saying the same thing about their M8 cameras, irrespective of what is current by then.

I still use my Digilux-1. It still works nicely, and I like the look of it's images. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for your feedback, I found it to be helpful, and to put Erwin's comment in a more balanced perspective. I have been wanting the digital equivalent of my film MP, and if the M9 rumors turn out to be true, perhaps the M9 will be that very camera.

Kind regards,

jeff

Same for any camera no? but as soon as you get your M9, if any, the M8 will remain more and more on the shelf i bet. FF makes a serious difference actually. I don't use much my crop DSLRs now that i have a FF and i expect the same for my dear old R-D1s although i pretty much doubt if the M9 will allow me to shoot both eyes open like the latters.

It may be surplus to requirement, or even redundant, but only in YOUR case. It wouldn't make the M8 obsolete. Just like the M7 did not make the M6 obsolete; in fact, I know of people using their M3 very happily still. :)

It may be surplus to requirement, or even redundant, but only in YOUR case. It wouldn't make the M8 obsolete. Just like the M7 did not make the M6 obsolete; in fact, I know of people using their M3 very happily still. :)

The M3 is not obsolete because it is still the best RF ever made. But the M8, well matter of tastes let's say. ;) Anyway, obsolescence, senescence, ageing or whatever word you prefer will be good for young photogs if M8 prices drop due to the new body. This way it will recover its youth for the common benefit of photography. :)

Let's check the definition of "obsolete". Marketers would like us to believe it means "not the newest, shiniest model" - but who cares what marketers say? Web bloggers would like us to believe it means whatever best supports their arguments...

from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

"No longer in use or in fashion; an obsolete word" - If it's still in use, it ain't obsolete. And something cannot be both a fashion statement and obsolete - which gives the lie to Leica detractors who try to claim both.

"Not longer used or in use, because of outmoded design or contruction; an obsolete locomotive"

For me, obsolete means "no longer functional in today's technological and working infrastucture".

I.E. - typewriters are mostly obsolete because the environment for distributing written communication today depends almost universally on digital files, even if the final product is print. Send a written manuscript to a publisher, and they'll just have to painfully convert it to digital for typesetting anyway. (Not to mention the added efficiencies for editing and rewriting - or the speed and instanteous wide distribution of things like text messaging - or this post).

8-track tapes are obsolete because no one makes new players or music in a form to play on them.

Film cameras will become obsolete when film and processing become unavailable. Which will happen, sometime in the next 500 years. Kodachrome will be obsolete within a couple of years, once Dwayne's shuts down their processing line.

If you choose to put a device on the shelf and get something newer, that doesn't make it obsolete.

If you have to put a device on the shelf because it can no longer fullfill its function - that's obsolete.

Which is pretty much what I said regarding the M8 and M9 - if the infrastructure that supports them (SD cards, DNG format recognition, parts, batteries) disappears, then they'll be obsolete. Not until then.

Edited by adan

'Hide this breast out of my sight' (Molière, Tartuffe) :D

Tartuffe :

Couvrez ce sein que je ne saurais voir :

Par de pareils objets les âmes sont blessées,

Et cela fait venir de coupables pensées.

Dorine :

Vous êtes donc bien tendre à la tentation,

Et la chair sur vos sens fait grande impression ?

Certes, je ne sais pas quelle chaleur vous monte :

Mais à convoiter, moi, je ne suis pas si prompte,

Et je vous verrais nu du haut jusques en bas,

Que toute votre peau ne me tenterait pas.

The original version is always better ;)

I still use my Digilux-1. It still works nicely, and I like the look of it's images. :)

Nicole... it's so sweet! Schön!... "Die Biene Maja"!

In einem unbekannten Land

vor gar nicht allzu langer Zeit

war eine Biene sehr bekannt

von der sprach alles weit und breit.

Und diese Biene

die ich meine

nennt sich Maja

kleine

freche

schlaue Biene Maja...

A different perspective : will my 200 x A3 prints shot with the M8 become "obsolete" in 30 years ?

Will someone say "mmmmh, that was shot with one of the first digital cameras". I doubt 99% of people will see a difference (unless the support mediums change)

We focus too much on the input ... when the output is what matters.

Many substandard gadgets are able to sustain abuse over the course of 2 years, I don't think amateurs should worry about the M8 ... it's already an overkill to the typical kind of photography an average Leica aficionado pursues in daily life.

It's certainly a disadvantage to professionals though if Leica can't keep up 'cause the pro shooters will lose their competitive edge from a "technical perspective", 2 years seems to be the right product cycle to upgrade gears.

Differences in noise performance, focusing/shooting speed, etc could all make or break a pro's business.

I recently walked into a camera shop in Dún Laoghaire, on the fringes of Dublin, and noticed a Fuji F30.

It's a three- to four-year old compact camera, known for its ability in fast-moving, low-light shots.

I bought it as a carry around because it's considerably smaller than a D-lux 4, and faster from "off" than any compact I know of, including its recent much-awaited replacement. To me, features don't matter if the camera takes more than 2 seconds to wind up - which IS the case with 99% of compacts.

In many respects the F30 is "obsolete". But for the reasons I bought it, it is up to date. The same will apply to a niche camera like the M8.

Regards,

Mark

--

Quoting self: A camera is a box. Think outside it.