RPS

Bob,

Funny you would mention that. The picture above was taken while standing in the middle of the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone River. My fishing buddy and I drove to this location from Cooke City that morning to do precisely as you suggest.

After gearing up and hiking into the stream, the scene above is what we encountered. The clouds kept surrounding and swirling around the top of Pilot's Peak -- it was a wonderful experience. So wonderful that I simply was unable to concentrate on my fishing.

Finally, totally distracted by the scenery, I left the stream, trudged back to my car, stowed my fishing gear, grabbed my D-Lux 4 and spent the next hour or so shooting various iterations of this shot. Never did any meaningful fishing on that particular day.

However, two days later we returned to this same spot soon after a rain shower and fished for several hours. The fishing on that day was great -- right up to the point when we walked up on a fresh grizzly paw print on a sandbar (see below.) Since all the other animal (and human) footprints had been washed away by the rain, this one could not have been more than about two hours old.

Needless to say, given the dense vegitation in our vicinity, we though discretion to be a wise move and immediately left the stream to its rightful owner.

Edited by RPS