50 mm Elmar-M f2.8?

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Epand56, where have you seen them for such a price? I really regret selling mine and I would like another one.

Redbaron, the last one I saw was yesterday on eBay from Italy. Just one offer and the auction closed for 350 euros. It was last edition, black and in mint condition without pouch and box but with original hood, and caps.

I'm sure that if you look for them you will find for sure a replacement for the one you sold.

Epand56, where have you seen them for such a price? I really regret selling mine and I would like another one.

eBay USA. If they sell at all they go for less then $500.

I bought mine for $400 and sold it recently for $450 and that was with the leather case,

original screw in hood, front (metal) and rear (plastic) caps, paperwork and the box it originally came in . The lens itself was near mint. No marks on any part and only some slight wear on the edges, barely noticeable, of the focusing ring.

They are just not that popular even though it is a very good lens.

You will see people/businesses trying to sell them for 6-7-8 hundred dollars but they never sell.

I don't see significant differences in contrast between the 50/1.4 asph and the current 50/2.8 personally. Both very contrasty lenses actually so beware of blown highlights if you shoot digital.

I agree, the substantial difference is in the sharpness that in the Lux 50 is more strong (I would never take a portrait of my granny using the Lux).

This is why i keep them both and love them both with a little penchant for the Elmar and this very pleasant mellow look it gives to the pictures.

But, IMO, as I said any kind of picture needs its own lens and is conditioned by personal taste.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree, the substantial difference is in the sharpness that in the Lux 50 is more strong (I would never take a portrait of my granny using the Lux).

This is why i keep them both and love them both with a little penchant for the Elmar and this very pleasant mellow look it gives to the pictures.

But, IMO, as I said any kind of picture needs its own lens and is conditioned by personal taste.

Yep, that's why I like it for weddings.

I've long been interested in this lens, but since I already have a Summilux and Summicron, it's not very high on the priority list. Still, it might be a useful addition.

I've heard that this lens has a unique footprint ;) but exactly what that means is anybody's guess.

Can anybody link to photos comparing this lens to the others?

I use 'crons and 'luxes as well but the latest Elmar remains my favourite 50 when i want contrasty pictures in good light. The Tessar look springs to mind, also the feeling that the latest Elmar offers a rather unique blend of high contrast and brightness with very smooth bokeh. No side by side comparos available sorry.

Kenneth, I just posted in your Summitar thread again.

Are you looking at the later model Elmar or the older 2.8? Both are nice lenses but the later model in particular is said to be excellent - I'd like one myself!

A later one I guess James

Kenneth,

As expressed by other posters, I find I use the Elmar M -modern version - far more than the Summicron. I actually wonder about keepin the Summicron as it sits allone and forsaken on the shelf...

I find it easier to lug around and crisper than the Summicron, IMHO. I won't part with it.

The 50/2.8 is the only Leica lens I have sold and then repurchased. Both were/are last version with the 6-bit coding (I figured, why not?). Both cost me approximately GBP450 after import duties. A Leica lens this good below GBP500 is an absolute no-brainer. I'd snap one up before the sentiment pushes the price up to a ridiculous level.

LouisB

Kenneth,

As expressed by other posters, I find I use the Elmar M -modern version - far more than the Summicron. I actually wonder about keepin the Summicron as it sits allone and forsaken on the shelf...

I find it easier to lug around and crisper than the Summicron, IMHO. I won't part with it.

That is how I feel. I do not want an Elmar M as well. I would be looking to exchange my 50mm Summicron M in against it. I already have a 35mm Summicron M asph which gets used alot of the time