Leica refuses to confirm M9 launch...

cadthis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9 could be so expensive than a M8.3 model may be necessary as an entry level camera. Updated electronics but smaller sensor.

I Dont think so. Dont forget its a company that should generate profit. Two products mean

less customers for each one. I doubt very much that there will be more customers with an entry level camera.

My guess is that first a M8.3 and after a M9, they won't be released at the same time.

Nag,

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...My guess is that first a M8.3 and after a M9, they won't be released at the same time...

Ruben (rosuna) did not say that M9 and M8.3 will be released at the same time if i understand well. He seems to think that the M8.3 will be presented next September instead of the M9 which would not be ready yet (got it Ruben?)

Edited by lct

...As someone who has moved from a cropped DMR to a FF D700, I would just say that I am very pleased to have my old lenses back...

My feeling as well. I tend to use the 5D more and more for this very reason. We all know that cropped bodies are just a compromise don't we.

I smell an imminent problem when marketing the M13 unless we can convince the pope to change the calendar, but we still have 4 iterations to go:D

In that case, by the time the M25 appears, we'll all be going around in circles! :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But if all future digital M's will have a croped sensor, wouldn't that tempt Leica to do as Nikon (and others) have done and make a cheaper series of lenses for croped sensors? It will be easier/cheaper to manufacture a lens with god specs for a smaller sensor.

They have already done this with the new Summilux Wide Angles - their performance with full format M7 on film is just terrible (see LFI test). Only "cheaper" in this case means 5.000 €. :D

I disagree, from the posts here that even mention a new camera the topic always turns to a FF M especially when it comes to giving advice to Leica about how the company should be run. A FF M seems to be the Holy Grail to a majority of M users yet I really wonder how many would actually buy one and how many new M system users it would attract. I guess we'll find out what is behind the curtain on 9/9/09.

A forum is a small sample of user base, and I guess the probability to find hardcore long time M user is much higher than in a customer survey. Your majority assumption is probably biased. Dissatisfied people voice their concern on these forums, I would not open a thread with "I love the crop factor" or would be flamed within minutes ;)

They have already done this with the new Summilux Wide Angles - their performance with full format M7 on film is just terrible (see LFI test). Only "cheaper" in this case means 5.000 €. :D

I get LFI. I didn't see that film test.

Which edition?

Quite right Frank

What a wonderful time. . . . if it happens!

I've been thinking about a 'base model' and it seems to me to be more logical to keep the basic M8 (plastic LCD, faster shutter etc.) rather than the more expensive M8.2 with the sapphire glass and other luxuries - although maybe with the update framelines.

Seems sensible to keep the entry level as low as possible, and retain a difference.

Where? . . . I didn't see it.

But surely the new summarit lenses are exactly that - cheaper lenses for the cropped sensor. I only have one of them (35) and it's really excellent, it's also tiny.

I use the 90mm Summarit with the M6 and M3. I guess I would have recognized, if it couldn't handle 35mm film...

I got used to the 1,33 crop now as well to the IR filters and other peculiarities, especially, since IR filters are easier to remove than anti-aliasing filters. Sure, having a 24x36mm2 sensor would be nice, especially in combination with wide angle lenses.

However, the next camera I would buy would probably be a smaller one I could hand over to other people at a party. The Olympus PEN looked like such a solution but turned out to be too close to a "point and shoot". I'm still hoping for a digital CL with the option to take M-lenses...

as usual leica can announce one year before delivery..see S2 launch. they could learn a lesson or two from nikon in this respect...30 days max.

anyway, i believe that this forum is a good representation of m8 users since they need as much help as possible given all the quirks of the camera...at least i did, but maybe others are more leica-bug resistant. but if the m9 really has the 5Dmark II sensor (which i doubt) things may be different this time.

peter

{snipped} but if the m9 really has the 5Dmark II sensor (which i doubt) things may be different this time.

peter

OOog, I sincerely hope it does NOT.

:)

BTW--who said the new luxes are no good on full-frame? LOL! Have you seen Riccis's new lux shots from his film Ms? Look pretty good to me for ultra fast wides!

And I've seen the Summarits from film Ms too--they're just fine all-round. They're NOT made for cropped bodies, but as new versions of older lens designs (so Leica would make some more money instead of people just using the used market, which cuts Leica out).

Edited by Jamie Roberts

It was in the issue which compared the 7 wide-angles (16 - 24mm). Green cover.

Don't have the issue to hand but the results of the Summiluxes surprised me.

What surprised you? Can you precis the results? Are the corners at 1.4 less sharp than the Elmarits at 2.8? :)