Leica refuses to confirm M9 launch...

cadthis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So do i as far as jpegs are concerned at least. Do 5D2 raw pics look plasticky like jpegs? Just curious.

They're not plasticky in particular, but they're smoother than I'd like. I don't like the colour palette though. For some reason I have an aversion to overly magenta skin tones ;) High ISO isn't great either (but for the resolution it's not bad). Overall, though, I prefer the DMR.

What I want in the m9 is a DMR-like sensor in terms of color and DR with high ISO and full-frame.

Hey--I can dream :)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What surprised you? Can you precis the results? Are the corners at 1.4 less sharp than the Elmarits at 2.8? :)

Whoops, deleted the post, was going to re-phrase it.

Don't have the issue to hand but there were comparative images in a car museum. The edge crops of the Summiluxes were the worst, if I recall. It's unrealistic to expect 50mm Summilux ASPH performance, even at twice the price and underscores the extreme difficulty of making fast wides.

I haven't been disappointed at all by the quality from my lenses but of course I am not using them FF. They both comprehensively blow the Nikon 28mm f1.4 (same FF field of view as the Leica 21mm on the M8) out of the water. Peering into the image corners of that lens in FF is not a rewarding experience.

You buy these lenses and use them wide open for the creative opportunities - a low light shot with the 21mm Summilux is quite something, as in, nothing you've been able to shoot before. On a FF camera with better high ISO performance, they promise even more.

Hey Mark--

That sounds just right. I know better than to expect 50 (or 35) lux performance from a 21 or 24 full frame.

As long as the 24 Lux is similar across the field to the 24 Elmarit once you stop down to oh, f4 or 5, then that's quite something. I know they're both excellent in the center.

Ruben (rosuna) did not say that M9 and M8.3 will be released at the same time if i understand well. He seems to think that the M8.3 will be presented next September instead of the M9 which would not be ready yet (got it Ruben?)

I don't know if a M8.3 will be presented next September. Maybe Leica never will update the M8 again. If they do, it would require a considerable investment and, I guess, it should imply some diversification into the M line. But I would bet the ff M camera (let's call it M9) will not be presented soon.

I don't know what is under the expession "system cameras", as Spiller says. I agree the product portfolio of Leica should be expanded. At this moment, the M8 is the only "Leica made" digital product on the market. The S2 will help in increasing sales, but it is not enough.

The S2 will generate many PR activity in the coming weeks (presentations to dealers, presentations to the press, etc.). No all events are for new products presentations/announcements.

Now Andy, you may think that you have some insider knowledge. More accurate to say that you have deduced or heard privately or analysed or in your opinion etc. Especially since you are a Forum moderator. Members are likely to think that you have more knowledge than is public. If you had official information then it would be under an NDA, surely?

I am not aware that Leica has announced any such event? Please point me to official information if I am wrong there.

Of course they will refuse to confirm.

They have an event on 9/9. They're not going to shoot the bolt publicly before that

They have already done this with the new Summilux Wide Angles - their performance with full format M7 on film is just terrible (see LFI test). Only "cheaper" in this case means 5.000 €. :D

Compared to what? Other f/1.4 wide-angles? They look about on a par with the 35 f/1.4, which is a far easier focal length to design for @ f/1.4 - see charts below.

If you're expecting a 21 or 24 f/1.4 (even Leica's) to compare with, say, a 28 f/2...you probably need to find an alternate universe. It won't happen under our laws of physics.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

They have already done this with the new Summilux Wide Angles - their performance with full format M7 on film is just terrible (see LFI test). Only "cheaper" in this case means 5.000 €. :D

If you're talking about the "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" article in the 05/2009 issue of LFI, there's nothing there to suggest the new lenses don't perform to Leica standards on both film and digital bodies. Perhaps you can point us to exactly where things are "just terrible" on the M7 with these lenses?

Shootist: Thanks for the heads-up. But as a query, why should I resort to manual mode and hand held meter when using the 280mm telyt-v lens on a Visoflex III? Is there a way to use the camera meter?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Yes- go to manual, flip the mirror up, adjust exposure and go back to Visoflex operation. The reason is that, if one is a bit fast shooting with the Visoflex, the exposure metering sometimes is unable to keep up and will produce the odd overexposed frame.

There is an event in LA on 9/10:

Leica Camera AG - Leica Demo Days at Samy's, CA

Just a Leica Day scheduled by the regional (California/Oregon/Wash.) reps to show the currently available "new" products to local customers. E.G. 24 f/1.4, 18 Elmar, etc.

Trust me, Leica is not going to announce major new products worldwide in one LA camera store. Anymore than Ford goes to a dealership in Podunk to reveal their new models.

In fact, the fact that the reps are scheduled to be in LA instead of Solms on that weekend argues against that being the date for a major corporate product introduction, somewhat - my reps, in the region just east of that one, go to Solms or Leica NJ for ringside seats with the big announcements. Then they hold Leica Days in the weeks following, when they can actually talk about the really new stuff.

Maybe - maybe - the West Coast reps could be in NJ 9/9/09 and fly back for the Samy's Leica Day. Usually my reps like a day to set up ahead of time - but it's possible, and would be a nice coincidence for LA Leica users to get fresh inside information.

Now Andy, you may think that you have some insider knowledge. More accurate to say that you have deduced or heard privately or analysed or in your opinion etc. Especially since you are a Forum moderator. Members are likely to think that you have more knowledge than is public. If you had official information then it would be under an NDA, surely?

I am not aware that Leica has announced any such event? Please point me to official information if I am wrong there.

I have no inside knowledge, only what I read here and elsewhere. Being a Moderator allows no special priviledges... only grief...:o

Of course, if I had official information, I would most likely be under an NDA. If I were under an NDA, I would Not Disclose Anything. This is not the same as spreading rumours, it's just trying to second guess what might happen.

The 09/09/09 date was just something I made up in early July, when the rumours of an M9 in the Autumn started to surface. As I have said before, it's too good an opportunity to miss, from a marketing point of view. Maybe too obvious, but what the hell. I'd like to see a Ridley Scott "1984" quality advert to go with it...

Rumours have since come from the Far East, and a French Magazine, well known for being more right than wrong in their inside information. Add the Sammy's in LA day on 10/09 (which may just be a coincidence, and I don't buy the "Can't happen because the reps would be in New York the day before", argument. Reps would have been told about this by now, not the same day), and a picture starts to develop.

You also have the new London Leica Store opening in September, and wouldn't it be nice to have some NEW product to sell from the get-go? The S2 will give a second chance to crack open a few more bottles of French fizz a month later.

Happy to eat crow on 10/09 when nothing happens :)

By US dating you're going to wait a whole month to eat crow, Andy? (wink!)

But - the Leica annual report mentions that Leica is going to pay lots more attention to "social media" (Twitter etc - I notice the web site has twitter and facebook icons to click already) for promotion, so, as you say, there is some power in 09/09/09.

Me - I've decided to stop reading tea leaves (even the best English Breakfast). When Leica has something to say, they'll say it.

Given that Leica don't use the US date system, I think I'll be fine ;)

I "follow" Leica Germany and Leica UK's marketing manager on Twitter, and there are some interesting tit-bits that come through. Ditto with the BJP and Amateur Photographer feeds.

They're not plasticky in particular, but they're smoother than I'd like. I don't like the colour palette though. For some reason I have an aversion to overly magenta skin tones ;) High ISO isn't great either (but for the resolution it's not bad). Overall, though, I prefer the DMR.

What I want in the m9 is a DMR-like sensor in terms of color and DR with high ISO and full-frame.

Hey--I can dream :)

There is a thread in another forum where, IMO, the highly respected Iliah Borg states that the pre-production M9 clearly has different colours than the Mk2, and that they are EXACTLY the same like the ones from the M8.

This could mean that Kodak is the supplier, but could it also mean that it's the same sensor?

I have no inside knowledge, only what I read here and elsewhere. Being a Moderator allows no special priviledges... only grief...:o

Of course, if I had official information, I would most likely be under an NDA. If I were under an NDA, I would Not Disclose Anything. This is not the same as spreading rumours, it's just trying to second guess what might happen.

The 09/09/09 date was just something I made up in early July, when the rumours of an M9 in the Autumn started to surface. As I have said before, it's too good an opportunity to miss, from a marketing point of view. Maybe too obvious, but what the hell. I'd like to see a Ridley Scott "1984" quality advert to go with it...

Rumours have since come from the Far East, and a French Magazine, well known for being more right than wrong in their inside information. Add the Sammy's in LA day on 10/09 (which may just be a coincidence, and I don't buy the "Can't happen because the reps would be in New York the day before", argument. Reps would have been told about this by now, not the same day), and a picture starts to develop.

You also have the new London Leica Store opening in September, and wouldn't it be nice to have some NEW product to sell from the get-go? The S2 will give a second chance to crack open a few more bottles of French fizz a month later.

Happy to eat crow on 10/09 when nothing happens :)

Don't. eat crow right then, Andy,;) There is a timespan. September 13th might be something too.