Leica refuses to confirm M9 launch...

cadthis

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure the forum is as much in favour of FF as you state to what I have read, many people got used to it and FF does not mean much for younger generations. The crop factor has also its advantages (faster teles, using best part of lens, ...). What is important to me in the M9 or M8.3 is better high ISO performance, if they can do without being full frame, that is fine too.

The advantage to me of full frame is that the pixels can be bigger, which generally results in better low light performance. Plus I prefer FF for the different DOF you can obtain. When I switched from Canon 20D to 5D some years ago, the difference was quite astounding. Of course the technology improves, and the 5D mkii crams more pixels into the sensor but still outperforms the 5D mk i. I expect we will see the same when Leica finally gets around to FF. Now having saod this, I have gotten used to the 1.3 sensor on the M8 and it doesn;t bother me, but that does not mean that I would not want a FF sensor.

Anyone else think this is just a little bit cheesy? :rolleyes:

Oh well - at least we can start the rumors rolling well in advance for 10 minutes past 10, on the... yeah, you get the picture.

...except 10/10/2010 is on a Sunday. That's probably the real reason they dumpted the R10...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone else think this is just a little bit cheesy? :rolleyes:

Oh well - at least we can start the rumors rolling well in advance for 10 minutes past 10, on the... yeah, you get the picture.

Not in Germany, where 11-11 11pm is a big thing each year ;)

I am not sure the forum is as much in favour of FF as you state to what I have read, many people got used to it and FF does not mean much for younger generations. The crop factor has also its advantages (faster teles, using best part of lens, ...). What is important to me in the M9 or M8.3 is better high ISO performance, if they can do without being full frame, that is fine too.

I disagree, from the posts here that even mention a new camera the topic always turns to a FF M especially when it comes to giving advice to Leica about how the company should be run. A FF M seems to be the Holy Grail to a majority of M users yet I really wonder how many would actually buy one and how many new M system users it would attract. I guess we'll find out what is behind the curtain on 9/9/09.

The advantage to me of full frame is ... Plus I prefer FF for the different DOF you can obtain. When I switched from Canon 20D to 5D some years ago, the difference was quite astounding. ....

agree definitely:

crop 1,33 means

1,33x1,33=1,77 more DOF,

So a 35mm at f 1,4 on crop equals a 50mm at f 2,5 on FF

So a full(er) format has to me and my beloved summiluxes the highest priority.

I just hope the focus can be then exact on the sensor.

Regards

rolu

Market studies? Yeah right, they meet up with a couple of fanboys at the Solms factory tour who tell them they are the greatest and what they're doing is the best, and that's the extent of their market research. If people generally didn't care about full-frame, why is everyone who's shooting with a 40D dreaming of upgrading to a 5D and why has Nikon been racing to get into the full-frame game? If they really believe, people don't care about full-frame, it will be a nice surprise to them how many of us will run out to buy a full-frame M once they finally do come out with one.

09.09.09 - Leica introduces the ultra secret wedding cam in cooperation with Panasonic? :D

(you know, smile detection, live view, movie mode, automatic wifi uplink to flikr, etc.)

Yes, it will look and work exactly like an MP, except that there'll be a discreet LCD and mode dial on the back and another small window on the front. Behind the window will be a little lens and sensor allee samee mobile phone. The proud owner will be able to talk big and faff around with films and lenses and filters to his heart's content, while the movie mode and smile detection will save him from actually having to learn to use a Leica.