cadthis

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

do you think they want to kill the M8 business ?? Leica want to propose a new upgrade. The M9 is not ready at all ...

I think there is a M8.3 (upgrade the sensor) coming in september and a M9 for next year (photokina).

Remenber there is a S2 in september and Leica doesnt want to fail for this product and also doesnt have the capacity to start two products at the same time ....

Nag,

First, the M8 business is all but dead already. Second, a new M8.3 that is a sensor upgrade followed by an M9 could have just the opposite effect of encouraging sales as people see that that the M8.2 is not a dead end. Only, if the M9 announcement is 12 or more months away like the S2 would it completely kill off the remaining dribble of M8.2 business that is left.

"Erhardt told AP that customer feedback suggested M8 users 'are not bothered' by non-full-frame."

He obviously doesn't read this forum.

don't know what forum/s he reads ... but surely the m8 universe

is greater than the extent of this forum.

"customer feedback" most likely refers to collective feedback,

and not only those who are actually "bothered".

additionally, not being bothered by a non-full frame and wanting

to see a full/er frame digital M are not mutually exclusive.

additionally, not being bothered by a non-full frame and wanting

to see a full/er frame digital M are not mutually exclusive.

Agree entirely. I'm not bothered by non-full frame but I would love to see a full frame camera. Especially one with good high-ISO performance.

This is very interesting. I have had problems when using the Visoflex III and the 280mm Telyv 4.8 lens with the M8.0. I view the picture alright, but when the camera processes it, the picture is completely washed out. Other times, it comes out very good to spectacular. I attribute this to the lens shade being designed to full 35mm format. I shoot only dng files only. I guess you can say that this is another good reason to go full format.

Jeff

This is very interesting. I have had problems when using the Visoflex III and the 280mm Telyv 4.8 lens with the M8.0. I view the picture alright, but when the camera processes it, the picture is completely washed out. Other times, it comes out very good to spectacular. I attribute this to the lens shade being designed to full 35mm format. I shoot only dng files only. I guess you can say that this is another good reason to go full format.

Jeff

Take the camera off A mode, set the shutter speed manually using a hand held meter.

No more washed out shots.

"Erhardt told AP that customer feedback suggested M8 users 'are not bothered' by non-full-frame."

He obviously doesn't read this forum.

I am not sure the forum is as much in favour of FF as you state to what I have read, many people got used to it and FF does not mean much for younger generations. The crop factor has also its advantages (faster teles, using best part of lens, ...). What is important to me in the M9 or M8.3 is better high ISO performance, if they can do without being full frame, that is fine too.

There are quite a lot of people who have not bought the M8, partly because of the crop factor.

As someone who has moved from a cropped DMR to a FF D700, I would just say that I am very pleased to have my old lenses back...

I am not sure the forum is as much in favour of FF as you state to what I have read, many people got used to it and FF does not mean much for younger generations. The crop factor has also its advantages (faster teles, using best part of lens, ...). What is important to me in the M9 or M8.3 is better high ISO performance, if they can do without being full frame, that is fine too.

But if all future digital M's will have a croped sensor, wouldn't that tempt Leica to do as Nikon (and others) have done and make a cheaper series of lenses for croped sensors? It will be easier/cheaper to manufacture a lens with god specs for a smaller sensor.

The downside is of cource that it will make fullframe lenses for the M7/MP even more niche products, driving price up.

There are quite a lot of people who have not bought the M8, partly because of the crop factor.

As someone who has moved from a cropped DMR to a FF D700, I would just say that I am very pleased to have my old lenses back...

I don't disagree that some people would like full frame on a digital M. Just saying that there are also a lot of people that do not mind about the crop factor. So when Leica say that customers are not bothered by the fact that the M8 is not full frame, I am not surprised. I would guess that they do market studies and results must be trusted better than part of forum's perception.