Which One Do You Suggest?

Guest NickV

Guest NickV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been looking around for some Leica M Rangefinders. I have narrowed it down to a few: M4-2, M4-p, m6, m7. Which one would you suggest? I am leaning more towards the M4 options but i do knot know the difference between the two, nor the others for that matter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

Edit: What are your thoughts on the Voigtländer 15mm, for landscapes and such. I am also considering a summicron 50mm f/2. Any other thoughts of good lenses, not too expensive.

Edited by NickV
Need more info.

I have been looking around for some Leica M Rangefinders. I have narrowed it down to a few: M4-2, M4-p, m6, m7. Which one would you suggest? I am leaning more towards the M4 options but i do knot know the difference between the two, nor the others for that matter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

...welcome to the forum, NickV. Click here or here for details of the various Leica M models. Hope this helps in your decision-making process.

Hello-

I have two M-6's I've been using for about 20 years.

I like its build in light meter opposed to the M4's and feel the M7 has too much automation.

M-6's are also very well priced right now.

Best,

Guest NickV
...welcome to the forum, NickV. Click here or here for details of the various Leica M models. Hope this helps in your decision-making process.

Thanks so much, I think i am going to go with a m4-p or m6.

Guest NickV

What are your thoughts on the Voigtländer 15mm, for landscapes and such. I am also considering a summicron 50mm f/2. Any other thoughts of good lenses, not too expensive.

What are your thoughts on the Voigtländer 15mm, for landscapes and such. I am also considering a summicron 50mm f/2. Any other thoughts of good lenses, not too expensive.

...have not used the Voigtländer 15mm, but I hear good things about it. The Summicron 50mm is a superb lens - you can't go wrong with it as a "starter" lens. :)

Guest NickV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...have not used the Voigtländer 15mm, but I hear good things about it. The Summicron 50mm is a superb lens - you can't go wrong with it as a "starter" lens. :)

Thanks you guys have been really helpful. I can't wait to get my Leica.

Get one with the meter, M6.

CV 15 4.5 is a decent but not great lens. On film it will cover a room if you stand in one corner, ie 90 deg. A lens that wide is prety specialized. I would recommend a more traditional 35 or 50 first. 21 or 24 or 25, 35 50 90 is a nice set up.

Few landscapes are suited to 15 mm. 21 is more than you need usually.

Any Leica 50 is good at F 4.0. The last 50 2.8 recently discontinued is a really nice lens if 2.8 is fast enough for you.

Edited by tobey bilek

Guest NickV
Get one with the meter, M6.

CV 15 4.5 is a decent but not great lens. On film it will cover a room if you stand in one corner, ie 90 deg. A lens that wide is prety specialized. I would recommend a more traditional 35 or 50 first. 21 or 24 or 25, 35 50 90 is a nice set up.

Few landscapes are suited to 15 mm. 21 is more than you need usually.

Any Leica 50 is good at F 4.0. The last 50 2.8 recently discontinued is a really nice lens if 2.8 is fast enough for you.

I plan on getting a summicron 50mm then a 35 later on. I am also thinking of getting that canon 50mm .95 to toy around with for a little what are your thoughts on that lens?

Edited by NickV

I agree on what Tobey said. I prefer the TTL-version of the M6. The shutterweel is bigger, so you can operate it without taking the camera from your eye. It is also more logical as you need to turn it the same way as the arrow in the viewfinder points. On the old M6 it is opposit.

Guest NickV
I agree on what Tobey said. I prefer the TTL-version of the M6. The shutterweel is bigger, so you can operate it without taking the camera from your eye. It is also more logical as you need to turn it the same way as the arrow in the viewfinder points. On the old M6 it is opposit.

I thought all M6's had TTL. How can I tell which one i am buying? Also which would you suggest .85 or .72?

All M6 have Through The Lens metering, but only the last version has TTL flash sync... see the above links (expecially the Cameraquest's one is very clear about).

.85 .72 and .58 are the Viewfinder enlargements : choose one depending on the lens set you plan to use : .58 does not allow, practically, to use a 135mm, and .85 the same for a 28mm; personally, unless one really plans to use a lot a 135, . 72 is the best choice.

"Classic" M6 is the standard way to refer to the M6 made up to 1998.

The later M6TTL model, as Luigi says, gives flash control through the lens, as well. It has a larger shutter speed wheel, with the speeds increasing in the opposite direction to the "Classic" (and all previous Ms) so that you turn it in the direction indicated by the meter's arrow. This method was used in the M7, but the latest M, the MP reverted to the classic style again.

Best to find a well stocked dealer, and compare!

Regards,

John

M6 Classic or MP - because the meter is invaluable, and the shutter-speed turns the right way...

That really is an opinion. I find the M8 and M7 much easier to use because the shutter speed dial is bigger and it does turn the correct way the arrows are pointing in the viewfinder (That would be the right/correct way. For me). All other M's are backwards. IMHO.

I own the M4-p and M7. The M4-p doesnt get used much anymore. The M7 allows me to capture images quicker. Manual use is simple, turn the shutter dial to where you want it. I could care less about the other trivial issues such as which way the shutter dial turns.

The M6. either the classic or the TTL. The M6's meter is accurate and intuitive. It's a masterpiece of simplicity. You really want this built-in meter.

It really doesn't matter much which way the shutter speed dial turns. Either way, you'll get used to it, and you can turn the dial without taking your eye from the finder on both cameras.

What you may want to consider is which camera you would want for a second body. If you would want the MP, the M6 classic shutter dial will move in the same direction. If you would want the M7 for a second body, the M6 TTL is the better choice.

As the only body, it makes sense to buy one with a meter. Polafilter using is also easier. If you want aperture priority, buy the M7, otherwise go for the M6.

The difference between M6 (classic) and M6TTL is not very big. The biggest deal is a matter of the direction in which the shutter speed dial turns. The M6 is leaning more to the classic bodies (its predecessors and the current MP) with its smaller and "right way" turning shutter speed dial, the M6TTL is leaning more to the "new style" M7 and M8 with its bigger, "wrong way" turning shutter speed dial. So it's really a matter of whether you will more likely be also using a clockwise or a counterclockwise body. Not necessarily a Leica. If you can't decide, or don't use any other bodies, then the TTL is a better choice, because the shutter speed dial is a bit easier to turn, since it's almost leaning over the top plate (like the M5;)).

I have the impression that the TTL flash is really not that useful, so it's not a big deal to consider.

Vast majority of Leica Ms have been made with the .72 finder, so it's a bit harder and more expensive to buy a different one. They are available only in M6TTL and M7 from your list (unless you wanna pay big euros for a change at the factory). The viewfinder magnifications are roughly designed for being optimal for specific focal lengths:

.58 = 28mm

(35 very pleasant to use, 50 pleasant, 75 unpleasant, 90 pain; the whole viewfinder view approximates 24mm)

.72 = 35mm

(50 very pleasant, 75 pleasant, 90 unpleasant, 135 pain; the whole viewfinder view approximates 28mm)

.85 = 50mm

(75 very pleasant, 90 pleasant, 135 ok; the whole viewfinder view approximates 35mm)

That being said, some people prefer for example the 50mm frameline on the .72, because it leaves more space outside the framelines. For me, the bigger the better, as long as there's a bit of space outside for the parallax compensation and to see what's approaching the view. So I'm all for the "optimal" focal lengths.

And then there's the viewfinder magnifiers, made by Leica and others, which magnify the view by 1.15x, 1.25x, 1.35x or 1.4x at least. They're handy.

I don't have personal experience on either of the lenses, but I've understood that the CV is not up to Leica and vignetting, but worth the money if you like the distortion, whereas the Summicron is the most classic, sharp-ass Leica you can get. Older ones have the old, classic creamy feel to them, new ones have the surgical scalpel sharpness feel.

Hello-

I have two M-6's I've been using for about 20 years.

I like its build in light meter opposed to the M4's and feel the M7 has too much automation.

M-6's are also very well priced right now.

Best,

I second that. I also have M6's but I haven't had mine for 20 years. I was still trying to look like a pro with my Nikon F. But yes the M6 is an iconic camera, more so than the M4 and as you say the M7 is a bit over controlled and the MP is just too much to spend for what is needed. Don't bother with a ttl unless you use flash extensively and if you favour wider angle and normal lenses an M6 0.72 is the way to go. If you favour short tele lenses then the M6 0.85 might be your best choice. And one other thing chrome oozes understated good taste

Edited by kenneth