Capture One TIFF export sharpness problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using Capture One 4 to process the DNG files from my new M8.2. When I open the DNG files in Capture One Pro I can see the distinctive excellent sharpness from the M8. But when i export the files as TIFF or JPEG and view them in other programs like Photoshop, Lightroom or simply the Preview app (I am using a Mac) the sharpness is gone. I mean everything else is fine (color, tones, etc) but the exported file lacks the sharpness I can clearly see when i view the DNG in Capture One. I have not checked the Disable Sharpness box in the Output settings, so am I doing something wrong here ?

I am using Capture One 4 to process the DNG files from my new M8.2. When I open the DNG files in Capture One Pro I can see the distinctive excellent sharpness from the M8. But when i export the files as TIFF or JPEG and view them in other programs like Photoshop, Lightroom or simply the Preview app (I am using a Mac) the sharpness is gone. I mean everything else is fine (color, tones, etc) but the exported file lacks the sharpness I can clearly see when i view the DNG in Capture One. I have not checked the Disable Sharpness box in the Output settings, so am I doing something wrong here ?

The Preview is always going to look a little bit different from the actual TIFF output, and C1 is, by design, very light on sharpening (you typically only want to sharpen when you print).

If you want a sharper TIFF, go to the output tab and sharpen to taste. Remember what you like and save it as a preset, and you're done.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the OP is right: if you keep C1 open and convert a DNG to Tiff in CS3 then scale both on screen to the same enlargement, you see how fuzzy the Tiff is compared to the on-screen resolution of the DNG. Colour degradation is also present, slightly. It would be great to get a perfect match. Even so, opening/converting Leica raw files simply in CS3 mostly (not always) gives you an inferior end result.

I don't think that you are doing anything wrong; I notice the same thing, sharpness applied in C1 does not seem to carry over to the exported tiff file like the other C1 adjustments. Like others, I leave any serious sharpening to Photoshop.