bye bye Love bye bye M8

egibaud

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your pictures appear to have the same red spots as my sensor developed. :(

I looked at your DNG's in Aperture, and there are at least 3 red spots of doom visible in both photographs, but are much more visible in the dry-dock picture. (See below.)

Are these appearing in lower ISO shots yet? Mine were visible at ISO 160 too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked at your DNG's in Aperture, and there are at least 3 red spots of doom visible in both photographs, but are much more visible in the dry-dock picture. (See below.)

High, these are stuck pixels, I think. I have the same on my 5D II. Which is quite normal. Normally, they only show up on long exposures. Therefore, it is wise to use the long exposure noise reduction. It takes the same exposure with the shutter closed the entire time and then simple extracts this from the original picture.

It is not the same as normal noise reduction where you smooth things over. It is good to use, it only makes your machine slower since you have to do two exposures to get one picture.

Kind regards,

Wim

Mine showed up at any ISO and at any shutter speed. In the ones I've just looked at, they show at a fast shutter speed too. In the same places.

The funny thing about mine is, that they only started appearing after my M8 had been back to Solms to have the green spots cured. My M8 has only taken 201 pictures, and this is it's second trip to Solms for repair. Hence my extreme disappointment with the quality and reliability of the sensors. I just hope that it won't be one where the shutter falls apart too.

In C1, the red dot appears at all ISOs. It is however brighter on high ISO (2500). There is also a kind of contrast line at all picture when I zoom in, but this line is barely visible in most of the pictures. On some, as one of the pictures I posted, it is clearly visible.

I only discovered this recently as I usually works in Lightroom which seems to smooth out the dot / line in most of the pictures. The line shows up from time to time in Lightroom also, though.

Hmm - doesn't look like a Darn Line on this one.

There's a reflection or a something on the leaf - given here at 200% - but it's not red on my system + with ACR conversion. And I can't see anything on the lenscap shot... Anyone else has a suggestion?

It looks like a hot pixel to me--and the newer versions ACR will actually automatically map out hot pixels, so it makes sense to me that you aren't seeing it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to do weddings some years ago and used a Mamyia RB67 on a heavy tripod. The style then was more "formal" but for traveling shots like down the aisle shot I would arrange with the couple that I would hold up my hand and they would stop, turn in to each other and I would get a shot that always sold in good numbers. If you using an M8 then you are selling quality/available light or whatever you can think of, you also have to sell that the advantages you bring mean your not using amateur point and press or high speed (low quality-your marketing-) press kit and need to focus manualy. But of course you then really have to deliver.

Paul