egibaud

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear that you are parting with your M8. I'm even sadder to report that I may be parting with mine soon too. I've used Leica cameras for many decades, and have never had any trouble with one before, but the M8 is just not proving to be reliable. 3 weeks after I bought it (Feb), I noticed the dreaded glowing green spots, and had to send it back to Solms for a month to be repaired. Then I discovered the awful colour moire effects on bright/white areas, but I've learned how to minimise those. And now, (the last straw,) the glowing spots are back. This time they are bright red ones, at all ISO settings. It really isn't good enough. I've not had the camera 6 months yet. (And due to health reasons I haven't even been able to make as much use of it as I would like too.) Yet it has developed two serious faults in this short time. I've written to Leica about this, and I've asked for my money back. Hopefully I'll live long enough for them to be able to produce a quality M camera, because I love using a rangefinder and I'm very saddened by this experience with my M8. :(:(:(

The moire effect in highlights is known and described and can usually be traced back to the use of ACR.

Nicole - sorry you've had problems. Red dots? Not seen those - are you referring to reflections off the filter - it can happen especially with night shots... This can happen, and it's an annoyance, but surely not the end of the world. Could you post an example?

I do have to say that although I've had some rangefinder alignment problems and suffered the dead pixel stripe on one body, I've continued to be hugely impressed by the overall image quality of the M8 and wouldn't want to be without a digital M. My mass-produced Canon's have been rock-solid over the years - less quirky shall we say - but the M8's nevertheless a tool I'm happy to rely on...

Hi Chris,

Here are a couple of examples. I don't know how well they will be visible at this resolution though. The first picture shows one of the 'red dots of death' just above and to the left of the lamp. There is no red spot there in reality. The second shot shows one in a picture taken with the lens cap on.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nicole, do me a favor and do these same shots in C1?

Hi Jaap,

I no longer have C1 on my computer, as I found a way of reducing the colour moire in Aperture. I can email you the DNG files though if you like? (They are just test shots to illustrate the fault.)

I only said that, because I had just such a spot in ACR about 18 months ago. It disappeared after about 10 shots, never to reappear, and it was not present in C1. I have a strong suspicion that your main problem is Aperture.

Thanks Chris and Jaap.

I've sent you both a message with download link information. :)

Nicole - if this is a 'hot' or stuck pixel, then you can always try downloading a trial version of Iridient's Raw Developer. There is a panel in that application that enables hot-pixel mapping. I don't know how good the function is, because so far (knock on wood) I've had no such problems.

The general interface for the application is a little confusing, but I believe Raw Developer is the best raw application for the M8, and only neglected because it is not from a mainstream developer (imho).

Eric.

Last week I was at the Camera Exchange here in Melbourne Australia inquiring about the Nikon F6 when I noticed the Canon 5D-II, ok lets have a look at it, as I am well known in the shop I was allowed to play with it.

Grabbed the 100mm 2.8 APO and Leica R to Canon EOS adapter on the D5 went outside and took some shots.

The results on the little screen looked terrific, I didn't buy the 5D however I bought the Adapter for later use.

So having the 5D why not consider that combo 5D and a couple of R lenses, ok it's Manual focus but it's no differant to the M8 but the R lenses should be better then the EOS.

Cheers.

I only said that, because I had just such a spot in ACR about 18 months ago. It disappeared after about 10 shots, never to reappear, and it was not present in C1. I have a strong suspicion that your main problem is Aperture.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with - it looks like a stuck pixel to me. Proof of the pudding is if it turns up in EXACTLY the same place in every shot.

As far as Aperture is concerned, I still think it does the best job with the M8 - I've certainly never seen something like this.

Olympus has a pixel mapping option in the menus - it would be nice if others followed suit.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with - it looks like a stuck pixel to me. Proof of the pudding is if it turns up in EXACTLY the same place in every shot.

As far as Aperture is concerned, I still think it does the best job with the M8 - I've certainly never seen something like this.

Olympus has a pixel mapping option in the menus - it would be nice if others followed suit.

From the first pic posted by Nicole, I'm not so sure the problem affects 1 single pixel... the enlargements seems that a number of adiacent pixels is involved : this, usually, is not the behavior of a single dead pixel which remains a single spot in enlargements.

Had a look at one of Nicole's images in ACR and it looks like a Darn Line problem (though VERY faint).

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/64077-oh-darn-line.html#post661558

Nicole - could you have another go and shot at 1250 - maybe a picture of a neutral coloured wall or something along these lines? If it's the darn line problem then Leica will have to fix it - annoying, but not the end of a lovely relationship surely?

Best

Hmm - doesn't look like a Darn Line on this one.

There's a reflection or a something on the leaf - given here at 200% - but it's not red on my system + with ACR conversion. And I can't see anything on the lenscap shot... Anyone else has a suggestion?

Wel, to be perfectly honest, it looks more like a reflection in the original image as well. The doubling-up is very clear. Maybe it is Aperture after all....

Edited by jaapv