M9: Does Phase One Know Something?

psquared

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently installed Capture One Pro 4.8.2 (Windows Vista). I went into the Color Profiles folder to rename "Leica M8-Generic UV-IR.icm" as "Leica M8-Generic.icm" so that it becomes my default color profile for M8. Well, what do you know? There is a file called "Leica M9-Generic.icm" dated 7/6/09. Furthermore, there is no UV-IR equivalent for M9. Do they know something? :):)

In Windows Vista 64-bit, the folder is "Program Files(x86)\Phase One\Capture One 4\Color Profiles\DSLR".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just installed Mac 4.8.2 version and there is no M9 profile in it. Profiles just went from M8 variants to R8 and R9. Checked by using the 'Show Package Contents'.

Edited by RoyP

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! M9 should come soon!!!!!!!!!:D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the Mac the application is a special folder that looks like an ordinary file. You highlight the file (in this case Capture One and from the file menu select 'Show Package Contents'. This then shows it as a normal folder with sub folders and files contained within it.

In this case open 'Contents' folder and then 'Resources' folder and then open 'Profiles folder'. Two folders are within this one 'Input' the other 'Output'. All the camera profles are in the Input folder.

It's easier to do than explain. And yes M9 is not in the Mac version.

mmm... no profiles for the M9 in the Mac Capture One 4.8.2 ...

On the Mac the application is a special folder that looks like an ordinary file. You highlight the file (in this case Capture One and from the file menu select 'Show Package Contents'. This then shows it as a normal folder with sub folders and files contained within it.

In this case open 'Contents' folder and then 'Resources' folder and then open 'Profiles folder'. Two folders are within this one 'Input' the other 'Output'. All the camera profles are in the Input folder.

It's easier to do than explain.

This shot from Mac C1 4.8.2. No M9 listed also checked C1 Pro profiles folder. Must be PC only for now.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've checked the M9 profile using ICC inspector and MATLAB, it's an exact copy of the M8 generic profile which was created on July 17, 2006.

My guess is it's either a space holder (unlikely) or a prank Phase played with the M aficionados.

I've checked the M9 profile using ICC inspector and MATLAB, it's an exact copy of the M8 generic profile which was created on July 17, 2006.

My guess is it's either a space holder (unlikely) or a prank Phase played with the M aficionados.

I'd tend to agree. If (1) anything in the M9 improved over the M8, and (2) PhaseOne had actual knowledge of the characteristics of the M9, the files would be different.

Is there bad blood between PhaseOne and Leica following the S2 breakup? Would that prompt a prank?

I'd tend to agree. If (1) anything in the M9 improved over the M8, and (2) PhaseOne had actual knowledge of the characteristics of the M9, the files would be different.

Is there bad blood between PhaseOne and Leica following the S2 breakup? Would that prompt a prank?

Actually, I need to apologize for my previous post ... sore eyes and quick post without careful looking.

The M8 generic and M9 generic are indeed different profiles, many tag values are different, although the file timestamp in Windows shows it was tampered with on July 6th, 2009, the actual header info indicates but both profiles were created on the same date at the same time (2006/07/17, 16:42:01), so it's really an old profile created back in 2006 - I have no idea what's going on here.

The M8 UV/IR profile was created on 2007/06/28, 9:44:38.

Edited by sdai

The prescence of this profile in the Windows version can surely only be explained by the fact that the M9 is not far away. Phase did not include the M9 in the list of newly supported cameras so they must have inadvertantly left it in there (Windows) but removed it from the Mac version.

I'm really looking forward to the M9 but holding my breath on the price if the S2 price is anything to go by.

Jeff